This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Known working BT dongles / BT stacks

If you found a Bluetooth dongle and a Bluetooth stack that do work well with the plugin, please help others by sharing this information on this thread.

I have tested the plugin with the MSI BToes 476-BW (10m range) and the MSI StarKey 222-BW (100m range). These dongles are packaged with the Widcomm stack.

WARNING: Don't buy the 476-CI and 222-CI models, because they are not compatible with the Widcomm stack. There is no way to find the exact reference from the package (at least here in France). You have to open the package, and read the dongle reference from the sticker on the dongle itself....

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    --
    stipus

HAWKING HBTC1 - works well - limited in house range.

UPDATE: TRENDnet TBW-102UB - BlueSoleil stack

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have it working now, BlueSoleil stach uninstalled after getting it running.

Now plugin sees it as a MS stack.

TRENDnet TBW-102UB - does not work with plugin. (BlueSoleil stack)
    Last edited by Rupp; January 7, 2009, 01:11 PM.

~Bill

Comment

Quote from darren message:

Originally posted by darren-mc
      I use the belkin range of dongles and they work very well indeed.
      --
      stipus

Comment

I have tested the following with negative results

BlueTooth USB Adapter (tiger direct model BT-USB) uses BlueSoleil stack and will not work.

Steven

Comment

Karls,

If you desinstall the bluesoleil stack, and let the dongle be managed by the Windows XP SP2 stack, does it work then ?
          --
          stipus

Comment

Stipus,

Originally posted by stipus
            Karls,

If you desinstall the bluesoleil stack, and let the dongle be managed by the Windows XP SP2 stack, does it work then ?
            Just tried forcing this BlueTooth adapter to use Microsoft's stack with no success.
            I stumbled across this web link that gave some interesting insight http://hellalame.com/bluetooth.htm

Based on that information I did however find that the following manufactures appear to use the MS Stack based on the INF information. This list is neither a confirmed or denied list of working Bluetooth Adapters.

[Manufacturer]
            ALPS
            Belkin
            Brain Boxes
            Broadcom
            Cambridge Silicon Radio Ltd.
            Dell
            FIC
            GVC
            HP
            IBM
            Microsoft
            Motion Computing
            Silicon Wave
            Sony
            TDK
            TOSHIBA
            Wistron NeWeb
            Zeevo

Off to the store to hunt down a different dongle to buy.

Steven

Comment

The plugin cannot use the BlueSoleil stack, but can use the MS or Widcomm stacks.

If you uninstall the BlueSoleil stack, it will try to use the MS stack.
              Last edited by Rupp; January 7, 2009, 01:13 PM.
              --
              stipus

Comment

Another working unit to add to the list

D-Link DBT-122 BlueTooth Adapter - Widcomm Stack - short range however.

Steven

Comment

The belkin range give excellent range in fact to darn good. I bought several thinking that they would be needed to cover the house....only needed 1.

However, it does really work well. Only 1 PC needs to be on to detect all the devices.

Cheers,

Darren

Comment

Darren-mc,

Which Belkin adapter are you using: the 10m or the 100m?
                    Best regards,
                    -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
                    Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

I am using the 100m dongles. It's sort of working well...as different house computers come on and go off the different stacks then report back...so for me all it needs 1 PC to be powered in the house for the devices to be found...which is kinda cool. (think of it like a relay race and the batton passing)

Cheers,

Darren

Comment

Of course....f8t012. I think this is a bit of an overkill (as far as added functions) but hey never had a problem with them.

I had one dongle which blew up and Belkin replaced it directly for me (sent me a new one in a couple of days...great tech support)

The only issues I have with them is that they do not seem to update the software very regularly and they are NOT supported under Vista yet.

When you install the drivers from belkin make sure you complete the software loadup first...when prompted to insert the dongle do not...you get a better install if you wait until the belkin software has been fully loaded then insert the dongle.

Cheers,

Darren

Comment

I hope wireless USB is going to be better than Bluetooth.... bluetooth is a joke for software installation / software and hardware compatibility / stacks / libs / dongles ...

It was supposed to be plug and play .... but it's more cry and pray when 2 BT devices have to talk together.
                          --
                          stipus

Comment

Stipus, do you want to make a sticky of working / non working..

compile and edit the first message to keep them in a list..

maybe a format that lists vendor, model, stack, stack version, and notes.

working:
                            D-Link, DBT-122, Widcomm, 5.0.1.2200, *short range*

not working:
                            xyz, BT-SUCKS, BlueSoleil, ?.?.?.?, *works with MS Stack*

you could also have known "not working stacks"
                            Joe (zimmer62)

BLSecurtiy, AC-RF2, RCS Serial Thermostats, RFXCOM SMarthome SwitchLinc, mcsXap, Global Cache GC100, SqueezeBox, TWA_ONKYOINTEGRA, BLLogMonitor, BLPlugins, BLRadar, BLSpeech, BLZLog.aspx, HSTouch (Windows, iPhone, iPod), USB Mimo touchscreens, VMWare Server, Vortexbox, Windows Home Server, MyMovies, Windows Media Center, X10, ZWave, and much much much more.

Comment

I'll add that these combinations work:

D-Link DBT-120 adapter (short range) with Widcom stack v1.4.2 b10
                              Belkin F8T012v adapter (long range) with Widcom stack v4.0.1.2401

Only issue w/ Belkin dongle is that it will severly cripple your 802.11 wireless network if the dongle is placed anywhere near your access point. Both systems run in the same frequency band (2.4GHz).
                              Best regards,
                              -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
                              Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Working...
                              X