Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternative to AB8SS (Multi-Zone Sound Switch)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative to AB8SS (Multi-Zone Sound Switch)

There probably are others, but for those who have been looking for a way to control distribution of sound from HS to multiple speaker zones, I just got an email from Monoprice for a six-zone controller that includes RS232 controls:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10918&cs_id=1091801&p_id=10761&seq=1& format=2

It's $687 so not exactly cheap. Someone would have to write up the control software in a script or plug-in, but it shouldn't be too hard.

I'm not trying to sell anyone on this, and don't have any experience with it myself. I already have an AB8SS, and at this point I am not making any upgrades to my system as I'll probably just let it limp along until I'm out of the HA business. I've bought a few things from Monoprice in the past and been happy with them.

Steve

Yup; here noticing too that they now have an automation section; which I never noticed before.

That said looking at the specs and comparing it to the Russound I have; not a bad deal for $687. Here still using the AB8SS today along with two Russound zoned amps.

until I'm out of the HA business.....
    Curious....about this statement Steve; you have been around for a long time.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I've notice this as well as I've received multiple emails about it.

I think that it's an interesting replacement and not bad of a price point. I've ordered several of their branded products and they are of great quality. They have a pair of ceiling speakers that folks on AVS Forum rave about, I personally bought 6 pairs of them when they were on sale last year.

I see that it had an RS-232 and RJ-45 connector. I wonder how far from Russound this API is.

I would certainly seriously think about this one if there was a good way to control it.

Comment

Over the years I have also been using Monoprice stuff and not had any issues with it. IE: LV stuff of all types.

I like that they are doing a purely hardware zoned amplifier with no media management stuff

The ability to do source device management / remote control using IR blasters on every keypad is what is on my Russound KPL keypads.

I currently utilize the Leviton HAI OPII panel (X2). I have been controlling the Russound setup here with the OPII panel, Russound Keypads, Omnitouch stuff and using an RS-232 splitter doing similiar with HS2. It is built into the HAI OPII panel.

I am going to guess that the RS-232 control is very different from Russounds methodology of managment.

That said with a well thought out HS3 plugin; the box would be a nice add to integrating HS3 with a managed via RS-232 zoned amplifier.

I don't really know if there is today a product and price point for anything similiar.

Russound historically has only been installed by a Russound dealer / installer and really never meant to be a DIY thing.

This zoned amplifier appears to be made for the DIY automation person.

BTW - I do not recall what I paid for the AB8SS; but guessing in "today's" money it would probably sell for over $200 and maybe even over $300 for the included features' set on it. "dealer" price is still under $200 according to the website.

The above noted I see the web site is alive for AB8SS (well sort of).

http://hacs.com/

My hope for Hacs, over the years, is that I could find investors and/or partners to fully fund Hacs to be self-sufficient.

So many ideas/products in the pipeline. But that has not happened yet.

Just since March 2010 Micro Designs has started to get request for bids.
        First since January 2007. So the economy seems to be getting better.

So Hacs is not dead.
        Micro Designs is still seeking design, development or manufacturing opportunities.
        Hacs is still looking for investors and/or partners.
        Last edited by Pete; January 1, 2014, 01:56 PM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Just to jump in to this thread.
          I'll use a XAP800 to do my whole house audio (9 rooms)
          Music, announcements, TelCo and as added bonus VR in 4 rooms.
          I just control the thing via a vbscript and events.

Those boxes are reasonable priced on eBay
          - Bram

Send from my Commodore VIC-20

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
          HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
          PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | BLBackup | FritzBox | Z-Wave | mcsMQTT | AK Ikea

Comment

I just saw the same thing from monoprice and was very interested in how it would work with HS. I'm very new to the HA and have been browsing the forums for the last couple of weeks trying to figure out which items to purchase.

Here is a link to the manual with the rs232 commands, not sure if it helps for comparing for the russound.

http://www.monopricehub.com/files/ma...ual_131209.pdf

I'll probably be buying one in the next month but I hope it can integrate nicely with HS.

Comment

Not to hijack this thread but I have looked into this subject for a while now, I eventually built my own rs232 AB8SS alternative but I am currently in the process of using an Audio Matrix from Extron, these are not cheap but I have picked up a cheap used MAV2412A. There is some discussion on this thread:-

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=159460

Why I have gone down this route is because for example with the switch I have bought I have 24 stereo line level inputs and 12 stereo line level outputs. I can connect any or all of my outputs to any input, I can also control the input gain, output volume, mute and create multiple scenes with predefined ties already setup. Although this does mean that a separate amp will be required for each output, but it gives the flexibility something like the AB8SS cannot provide.

The Extron Products use a simple SIS interface for the RS232 port, I am still at the early stages and don't have it installed as yet, but I have a script developed for my switch which controls via devices and has subroutines which should allow for easy HSTouch integration.

Once I get my system setup I will post my scripts so anyone interested can take a look.

Comment

Working...
              X