Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JazzmanJohn View Post
    Thanks for the feedback Chris.

The emails from Apple are also part of what I'd like to avoid. Your suggestion for a longer refresh period is a good one - it solves the battery drain issue. I have set the ini file for the PI so refreshes occur at 10 hour intervals. I have also set up some recurring events which trigger the refresh at 5 minutes. This will help with battery life and will eliminate constant emails from Apple.

The whole reason for using the event driven refresh, rather than simply setting the module to 5 minutes or 10 minutes, is I'd like to work on some scripts that adjust the refresh rate dynamically based on how near or far the device is from the Geofence location. If the device is 2 hours away, no need to ping every 5 minutes. On the other hand, if the device is just a few miles away, more frequent pinging will result in a more timely notification of arrival to that geofence.

I haven't looked at the Reverse Geocode examples yet, but will do so.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

John
    Yup, I wish Apple had a option to turn on/off the notifications but I guess that would defeat their security protocol. One solution would be to use a filter or rule in your email account to set aside the warnings.

I like your approach; last week I travelled out of town and had to manually change the refresh period to every two days in the config file...and then forgot to change it back on my return.

A nice feature to add would be the ability to redefine individual account refresh rates "on the fly" from events and/or scripts. Maybe one can use a script to edit the config file but I'm not sure if the PI would have to be restarted to recognize the change...and its not an elegant solution.

I use this PI mostly to remind my wife and I when our battery levels (iPhones, iPads) fall below 25%. Alerts are dissumulated by voice over the house intercom during regular announcements, by email and by alert popup (using Jon00's Network Monitor and Control package). It avoids our leaving the house with a dead iPhone or preparing for bedtime reading with a dead iPad. I haven't really developed any "location" routines yet.
    Regards,
    Chris
    HS4 Pro 4.2.18.3 Shuttle DL10J - Celeron - 8g Ram - 250g SSD / Win 10 Pro 64 / Insteon / Z-Wave & SmartStick+ / DSC 1832 - PC5108 - IT100 / 542 devises & 164 events
    Plug-Ins: AK Weather 4.0.5.58 / APCUPSD 3.3.2.3 / BLDSC 2.0.68.0 / BLMarantz 2.0.6.0 / BLShutdown 1.0.4.0 / Blue-Iris 3.1.3.33206 / Device History 3.1.3.0 / HSBuddy 3.30.1003.1 / Insteon 3.0.7.2 / weatherXML 3.0.11.13 / Z-Wave 3.0.10.0 / Z-Wave UI 1.0.0.0

Comment

Originally posted by JazzmanJohn View Post
      Chris,

I looked at example 89 and it's a very good example of how the ini file should look.

Maybe I wasn't clear in my question - the problem I have is with the Reverse Geocode. Not the GeoFence. The GeoFence is working very well for me. I get accurate results monitoring the devices distance to the GeoFence I have setup.

What does not seem to work is the Reverse Geocode. I imagine this should return a physical address relating the devices location - something like 123 Main St, Anywhere, USA. Instead it just shows Unknown (even though the returned Google Map is exactly accurate.

John
      Ok, I see. I'm hardly the expert on the matter of geocoding here. Mine returns an actual physical street address (only half the time its my neighbor's ) ...its never quite accurate enough.

Maybe you should first try to go to Google maps and double click on your location to see if Google returns an address...if it can't then I'd guess Google is the problem. If it does return an address then it might be the PI ...recheck your config file again (?).
      Regards,
      Chris
      HS4 Pro 4.2.18.3 Shuttle DL10J - Celeron - 8g Ram - 250g SSD / Win 10 Pro 64 / Insteon / Z-Wave & SmartStick+ / DSC 1832 - PC5108 - IT100 / 542 devises & 164 events
      Plug-Ins: AK Weather 4.0.5.58 / APCUPSD 3.3.2.3 / BLDSC 2.0.68.0 / BLMarantz 2.0.6.0 / BLShutdown 1.0.4.0 / Blue-Iris 3.1.3.33206 / Device History 3.1.3.0 / HSBuddy 3.30.1003.1 / Insteon 3.0.7.2 / weatherXML 3.0.11.13 / Z-Wave 3.0.10.0 / Z-Wave UI 1.0.0.0

Comment

Dynamic updating of refresh rate?

OK,

So here's my idea.

1 - Create a device called "Device Polling - John"
        Create Status-Value pairs for the device that look like
        0, "Off"
        1, "Every 2 mins"
        2, "Every 5 mins"
        3, "Every 10 mins""
        4, "Every 30 mins"
        5, "Every 60 mins"

2 - Create events like
        John - Polling Every 2 Minutes
        IF FindMyDevice Distance to nearest Geofence was set and has a value less than 10
        AND IF FindMyDevice Location has a value that is not equal to Home

Then Set Device "Device Polling - John" to "Every 2 Mins"

3 - And create a series of events like
        Track iPhone - John (2 min updates)
        If The event will automatically trigger every ...
        2 minutes
        And If This device has a value equal to...
        Device Polling - John is "Every 2 mins"

Then Set Device John to Refresh

In this way I can have a number of events that track distance. Say >60 miles, <30 miles, <10 miles, etc.
        And these events, when triggered can set the Device Polling value to 2, 5, 10, 30, 60 minutes.

And then another series of events that recur at 2, 5, 10, 30 and 60 minute intervals. Each event, when it triggers, will test for if the appropriate Device Polling value is true. If so, refresh that device.

This is my plan. Not tested yet and not very elegant. But it might do the job of dynamically setting the refresh rate.

Of course this would be much easier If I could simply tell the PI what the refresh rate should be on the fly. But nonetheless, this should do the job.

Comment

is this plugin getting a update or is it dead ???

i just wanted to know , otherwise i switch to location plugin its getting updated very often..
          Preferred -> Jon's Plugins, Pushover, Phlocation, Easy-trigger,
          Rfxcom, Blade Plugins, Pushbullet, homekit, Malosa Scripts

HS3Pro 4.1.14.0 on windows 10 enterprise X64 on hp quadcore laptop 8 GB.

Comment

bump

Comment

It's unfortunate, it really is. Plugin is rough in user interface, but it works. After all, Apple's Find My iPhone system works. But... Developer does not seem to be able to adequately support this plugin. As such, all benefits are null and void. Uninstall is in order.

Comment

If it works, what is the problem? Is it just the want for more features?

Comment

Originally posted by Automated View Post
                  If it works, what is the problem? Is it just the want for more features?

Not at all, not yet at least. In my experience with HS, I eventually run into problems with every plugin. Even this one, in its current state, is giving me some quirks. I just haven't bothered to post them, seeing lack of response to problems others have. I must have certain level of confidence that there is a person I can ask for help, once the problem arises and the plugin is part of my daily life. Not having that makes it a very dangerous commitment for me. Not worth the risk.

Comment

i think maybe he is sick , vacation , or dont have time anymore for updating this plugin .

I hope he leave us a message and say yes or no , because so we know if its still being developed....

Kind regards ,

Comment

I had this plug in working months back and one day I noticed it stopped updating the devices.

I just got around to investigating and rather than spend the time to troubleshoot I decided to start over again. Deleted all the rsfindmydevice files and devices

I re-installed the plug-in followed some of the posts in the forum how to set up the API key and thats all set. I edited the XML file and added a couple of my iphone accounts and got the email notices from Apple.

What I can't remember is how to setup the devices in the XML and associate them with the user accounts. I searched for docs but maybe I missed them?

I tried manually adding a device, it was created but never updates and the API doesn't see any hits

Can anybody help me with setting up a device if yours is still functioning?

Thanks

Will

Comment

Originally posted by will40 View Post
                        I had this plug in working months back and one day I noticed it stopped updating the devices.

I just got around to investigating and rather than spend the time to troubleshoot I decided to start over again. Deleted all the rsfindmydevice files and devices

I re-installed the plug-in followed some of the posts in the forum how to set up the API key and thats all set. I edited the XML file and added a couple of my iphone accounts and got the email notices from Apple.

What I can't remember is how to setup the devices in the XML and associate them with the user accounts. I searched for docs but maybe I missed them?

I tried manually adding a device, it was created but never updates and the API doesn't see any hits

Can anybody help me with setting up a device if yours is still functioning?

Thanks

Will
                        On the plug-in's config web page do you see a list of your iDevices? If so, you need to tick the box next to the ones you want to show up as HS devices.

If you don't have any devices showing on the config web page you may try restarting the plug-in or HS.

Comment

no list of devices on the PI config page. I attached screenshot.

So the PI is supposed to auto generate the devices after the accounts are created?

I do have RSFindMyDevice device names for the service and the accounts with status as connected but no selection in the PI config to check box. Deleted and re-installed twice with same results.

API key appears to have hits but logging all errors. What am I missing?
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by will40 View Post
                            ...I edited the XML file and added a couple of my iphone accounts and got the email notices from Apple...
                            Sorry I missed this before.

The only thing you should edit in the XML is <RadiusGeoFence>. All devices are now added from the config web page.

From the config page delete your accounts, then add them again.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by jbbtex View Post
                              Sorry I missed this before.

The only thing you should edit in the XML is <RadiusGeoFence>. All devices are now added from the config web page.

From the config page delete your accounts, then add them again.

HTH
                              Additional info for will40:

This post http://board.homeseer.com/showpost.p...1&postcount=89 is a pretty good example of how to handle the <RadiusGeoFence> section. Note that you must leave the first "0" valued set and then add one for each location you need.

jbbtex is correct, you don't need to change anything else in the XML. But make sure it remains an XML after you save it. (can't recall exactly how I did that...certain editors will send you back to TXT).

You'll get it working yet!
                              Regards,
                              Chris

Comment

Thanks for the help. I recall when I first installed this last year it was a breeze. Not sure why I am having trouble trying to re-install.

I let the PI config create the accounts no problem. I edited the XML and saved it as XML and placed the <RadiusGeoFence> section as you mentioned.

All saves ok and restart plug-in ok, but still no devices show up on my config page as they used too last year. I attached the sample XML below where there are sample devices and also attached my XML where there are NO devices.

I must be doing something wrong as this should not be very difficult to setup.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X