Custom screensaver - help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom screensaver - help

I've recently been expanding my use of the squeezebox. I already used it for music, added in the speaker proxy. I recently added in a dynamic alarm clock based on when my first meeting is, traffic conditions, and my wake up routine.

As part of this effort I got excited about adding a custom screensaver, but the documentation is not helping.

I've installed the custom clock and licensing plug-in on the server, and the custom clock helper and licensing manager on the Radio. I can use the built-in custom clocks just fine.

I've added the custom screensaver code from the HS plug-in docs to the ini file.

How can I confirm that the HS squeeze RSS feed is set up properly? I used the link described in the HS plug-in doc but I get minimal data returned in the XML. Pretty much the IP and port of the HS box.

Second, how do I configure the SC custom clock plug-in to use the HS supplied screen saver? The examples given in this forum were for softsqueeze, I am using a Boom, Radio, and squeezeplay.

Thanks.

Once you added the feed configuration to the Inc file, you can use your web browser to access the feed and confirm it is working fine. In the custom clock you would use that fed to display specific value as you would to display content from any other rss feed. Don't have access to specific examples right now as I am traveling.

Comment

The URL: http://hs_server:hs_port/squeezebox?pg=rss&screen=1 generates:
      Code:
      <rss version="2.0">
      <channel>
      <title>HomeSeer HS2 Feed</title>
      <description>SqueezeBox plugin Feed</description>
      <link>http://ip_address:hs_port</link>
      </channel>
      </rss>
      The URL http://hs_server:hs_port/squeezebox?pg=csv generates:
      "http://w1.weather.gov/images/fcicons/few.jpg","_LOW 78","HIGH 91","RAIN1 NOT USED","7/27/2012","Not Used/Stopped %t","",""

This looks useful to me.

So in the SC admin page I took the "RSS Text Feed - Touch" and made "RSS Text Feed - Radio". Deleted the items and created a new one of type rsstext and gave it the CSV url above. Set the helper, set the screensaver go to display it and blank....

This is what is saved in customclockhelper.perfs

Code:
      AAAAA - radio:
          background: ''
          backgrounddynamic: 'false'
          backgroundtype: ''
          clockposx: ''
          clockposy: '1'
          contributors: Bill
          items:
          - align: top-left
            animate: 'true'
            color: ''
            decodehtml: 'false'
            fontfile: ''
            fontsize: '20'
            fonturl: ''
            format: ''
            height: ''
            interval: ''
            itemtype: rsstext
            lineheight: ''
            linelength: ''
            margin: ''
            noofrows: ''
            offset: ''
            order: ''
            posx: ''
            posy: '10'
            refreshinterval: ''
            scrolling: 'false'
            separator: ''
            step: ''
            url: http://jormungand:8081/squeezebox?pg=csv
            visibilitygroup: ''
            visibilityorder: ''
            visibilitytime: ''
            width: ''
          models:
          - radio
      Last edited by BootsC5; July 27, 2012, 07:48 PM.

Comment

The custom clock supports fetching data from rss feeds and the plugin can server RSS feeds to clients (such as the custom clock applet). Newer LMS players such as the Radio, Touch, etc do not support the original screensaver modes creating some confusion. The csv feed is for screensavers on "older" LMS players (SB3, boom, SoftSqueeze, etc).

You define each RSS feed the plugin can server in the plugin ini file. In your original example querying the RSS, I believe you did not have an RSS feed defined in the ini file therefore return only basic header content. For example add the following to your plugin in file

[ScreenSaver 1]
        RSSTitle1=Test title 1
        RSSLink1=Test Link 1
        RSSDescription1=Test Description 1

RSSTitle2=Test title 2
        RSSLink2=Test Link 2
        RSSDescription2=Test Description 2

The other entries per ScreenSave section described in the documentation are for the screensaver for the older players.

Once you added the above to the ini file, use your web browser and check that the plugin can server the RSS feed. Use the URL (replacing hs2_host and hs2_port with your settings):

http://hs2_host:hs2_port/squeezebox?pg=rss&screen=1

This should display the content of the RSS feed configured above in the browser. Once you have this, you can use the feed in the custom clock applet and change the text using replacement variables to include content from HS2 devices.

Comment

Getting closer.

http://hs2_host:hs2_port/squeezebox?pg=rss&screen=1 now returns data from the ini file.

I updated the custom clock helper to point the address above, with needed substitutions, but it still does not show any text.

Now if I update the custom profile to use static text I can see data. When I use the rsstext I am getting nothing and I want to confirm what I think the issue may be.

I have "RSSLink1=Test Link 1" in the ini and my hunch is the helper wants to display the contents of this (broken) link. Is this correct? I'll tinker with this later tonight to confirm.

Comment

Still no go.

Can you provide a working ini section and custom clock config?

Comment

Bingo! One also needs to add the %description in the "format" of the custom helper profile.

Comment

I don't have a specific example handy. When I got back home last week, I found my hs2 server dead (would not even go to bios) and the dev server having issues as well. Waiting for new ones on order so that I can look at specifics.

Comment

I'll post what I have for others once I get something someone pretty.

I am running version 2.1.0.11. All the RSS feed data comes out in upper case. Any way you can at least make it up an option to preserve case for feed data?

Ini input:
                  Code:
                  RSSTitle1=$$DS:W1
                  RSSLink1=$INI:weathercom_xml:WeatherInfo:ConditionIcon
                  RSSDescription1=Temp: $$DS:W50

RSS output:
                  Code:
                  <item>
                  <title>FAIR</title>
                  <link>HTTP://W1.WEATHER.GOV/IMAGES/FCICONS/SKC.JPG</link>
                  <description>TEMP: 95 g F</description>
                  </item>

Comment

Also, some of the substitutions, $$DS so far, causes a line break in the feed data which leads to ugly squares on the radio.

Comment

Hi,

I know this is an old thread but I'm struggling with the same problem, not being able to see any rss data on the custom clock screensaver.

I have setup my squeezebox ini file and the output in a browser is:

HTML Code:
                      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                      <rss version="2.0">
                      <channel>
                      <title>HomeSeer HS3 Feed</title>
                      <description>SqueezeBox plugin Feed</description>
                      <link>http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:xxxx</link>
                      <item>
                      <title>HOME CONDITIONS</title>
                      <link>http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:xxxx</link>
                      <description>OUTSIDE: 11g C HALL:: 17.25g C</description>
                      </item>
                      </channel>
                      </rss>

This is different to how BootsC5 listed his output. I have two "description" tags - is this correct?

If you're still around BootC5, can you tell me what other options you had set in the custom clock helper e.g. decodeHTML, scrolling, etc.

Like your earlier issue, I can get static text out of the custom clock, but nothing when I use the rsstext option.
                      The custom clock documentation is lacking in any detail really.

Any suggestions Philippe - do you use this feature?

Thanks,
                      John
                      Thanks.

Comment

OK, have it working now. I think I had an empty fontsize specified in the clock plugin, all working great now.

Comment

Working...
                        X