This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Control of Device / touchscreen display brightness

I'm looking at replacing lightswitches in various rooms with low-cost touchscreen devices running HS Touch - leaning towards iPod Touches at the moment but considering older model Android phones.

However, I don't want a constant glow illuminating the room.

What options does HS Touch (or any other workaround people have developed) offer for
    - controlling the brightness of the display
    - utilising the light sensor in the device (to influence the brightness setting)
    - utilising the camera (to brighten the display on sensing presence)
    - utilising the mic (to brighten the display on sensing presence)

I'd be interested to hear what is possible or ways you might have achieved this.

I utilize several iPads around the house flush mounted above switch clusters. I have them jailbroken, and then together with scripting and various utilities, control the screen brightness based on a variety of conditions (home, away, time of day, motion, if a movie is playing back in the room, and etc). There is another thread around here where I gave tips to a few others on how to do it. In short, jailbreak, Activator, TerminalActivator, Dimmer, F.lux, SSH, Putty, and profiles/actions/scripts linking all of that with events from the server side. A bit convoluted, but flawless, and instantaneous in action.
    http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=170660

That said, sure put some touch screens on the walls, but I would highly advise you against removing completely the physical switch control. Software systems, especially HS, may hang or crash or whatever once in a while, and you should always have the ability to control critical lighting in a room.
    Last edited by Automated; October 29, 2014, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the forum scanman

Here too I have left the room switches in place.

Here went to UPB, dual load multiple toggle over the last couple of years.

I am primarily utilizing Windows XP for my touchscreens. These are remote controlled by Jon's remote application and also function autonomously with local scripting. Touchscreens are in wall (combination of HAI Omnitouch serial and IP and Homeseer HSTouch) and tabletops running Linux and / or XP. BTW the serial legacy Omnitouch screens never fail; but are much simpler in design.

There are other Homeseer users here too that are / have been utilizing IPhones / Android phones for similiar purposes relating to Homeseer automation control consoles.

I concur with Automated relating to replacing of legacy physical hardware light control switches with software controlled switches.
      Last edited by Pete; October 30, 2014, 08:16 AM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Hey Pet, Automate is some other guy over on CT, I believe.

Comment

Who is Automate(d)?

I thought you are Automated.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I see whay you did there.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and suggestions. Interesting to read about your solutions.

I know what you mean about the need for hardware override - it was a concern. I was trying to weigh up whether the benefit of having that safeguard outweighed the additional wall clutter. My hope was to simply use the existing switch's back-box to conceal a transformer for an iPod mounted on a blanking plate.

The benefit being that I don't have to damage the wall at all so it's easy to undo if I move home in the future.

Comment

Working...
              X