Low cost home speakers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low cost home speakers?

I am excited to try the ZMC v4 plugin as I just won a XAP 800 off ebay for $20CAD (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/262048212931) with shipping!

What are you guys using for speakers? I could see it getting quite expensive if you were to buy $100 speakers for each zone...

These have been working great for me.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-VM-AUDIO-E...item2a469b19c3

Granted, I have them connected to an amplifier, not sure if that's the route you want to take.

Comment

I've purchased a bunch of ceiling speakers from Amazon.. from $80 yamaha, to $40-60 refurb yamahas and $20 refurb monoprice ones.

So yeah, when checking out stuff on Amazon, consider the refurb/used ones they have too. I've had good luck with Amazon Warehouse ones (basically customer returns.) just read the description of the condition before buying it, if you go that route.
      HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

Mcm audio from mcm electronics sound good for only 20 a pair
        https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/de...plifier-plugin

Comment

It depends where you want to place them. I have a few underneath the kitchen cabinets on the floor behind some wood. No need for fancy ones there so i bought a $5,- set at a garage sale for it.
          - Bram

Send from my Commodore VIC-20

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
          HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
          PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | BLBackup | FritzBox | Z-Wave | mcsMQTT | AK Ikea

Comment

I don't plan on running an amplified system just yet, just playing light background music and any announcements from the HA system. If it's not loud enough then I'll consider amplification, which will most likely happen.

For my application the small 4" bookshelf speakers that could be mounted to the ceiling would be ideal as I could squeeze it between the logs on the ceiling. We don't have any drywall on the ceilings as it's all exposed logs, the basement we could do flush mount speakers.

Comment

I still utilize the pictured Realistic metal speakers in the garage today.

The small and large ones do have very nice sound. Later on they went to wooden case small speakers.

These were utilized in the older home zoned audio. (last ones sold were larger (black or white) and used an RCA logo on them).
              Attached Files
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Conrad_Turbo View Post
                I don't plan on running an amplified system just yet, just playing light background music and any announcements from the HA system. If it's not loud enough then I'll consider amplification, which will most likely happen.

For my application the small 4" bookshelf speakers that could be mounted to the ceiling would be ideal as I could squeeze it between the logs on the ceiling. We don't have any drywall on the ceilings as it's all exposed logs, the basement we could do flush mount speakers.
                Speakers wont work without some kind of amplification.

Comment

Originally posted by happnatious1 View Post
                  Speakers wont work without some kind of amplification.
                  Apparently it will going by the XAP threads and links although I can't imagine it will be very loud (line level)

http://www.zoelen.net/ZMCv4.htm
                  HS3 Prod - Win10 - DSC - HVAC-GC-TBZ48 x3 - CurrentCost - BLRadar - RFXCOM/FRXTRX433 -ADIO - HSTOUCH - BLUPS - AB8SS - SONOS - Alexa - 1 wire - BlueIris -MyQ

Comment

Since a typical speaker is 8 ohms and line levels are something like 10k ohms I'm sure you would probably hear something, but it cant be good for the xap 800 outputs as to them it probably looks like a dead short and the audio has to sound terrible as it would be all treble and no bass. And according to the song...It's all about the bass, the bass, no treble...

Comment

I'm going to try without an amp to begin with, by the sounds of it it does work... However if it's not enough then I won't be opposed to putting together or picking up an amplifier. Just getting my feet wet first!

Comment

Lol!
                        And according to the song...It's all about the bass, the bass, no treble...

Sent from my iPhone
                        Tom
                        baby steps...starting again with HS3
                        HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
                        HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
                        Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
                        In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
                        System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Since a typical speaker is 8 ohms and line levels are something like 10k ohms I'm sure you would probably hear something, but it cant be good for the xap 800 outputs as to them it probably looks like a dead short and the audio has to sound terrible as it would be all treble and no bass. And according to the song...It's all about the bass, the bass, no treble...
                          All the facts are written in the manual.
                          Outputs 1-12
                          Push-on terminal block, balanced
                          Impedance: 50
                          Nominal Level: 0dBu
                          Maximum Level: 20dBu
                          Audio Performance
                          Conditions: Unless otherwise specified,
                          all measurements are performed with a
                          22Hz to 22kHz BW limit (no weighting)
                          Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz
                          Noise (EIN): -126dBu, 20kHz BW,
                          max gain, Rs=150
                          THD+N: <0.02%
                          SNR: 80dB re 0dBu, (A-weighted)
                          Dynamic Range: 100dB (A-weighted)
                          Crosstalk <-91dB re 20dBu @ 20kHz
                          channel to channel

Amongst many other speakers I have a 8 Ohm Boss speaker connected.
                          Great sound, well enough bass and in my preference not enough high. But that is more due the sound card. It's leveled out for all the different types of speakers is use. And the cause of that is that i am to lazy to tune all the frequencies for each separate channel so it will sound good in each room.

About the sound level. It's no disco level. If you want that pay $3K more. However it can be loud enough without distortion to hinder normal conversation or make it less pleasing. It's way, way better then an iPhone on it's own speaker. And we all love that, don't we.

- Bram

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
                          HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
                          PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | BLBackup | FritzBox | Z-Wave | mcsMQTT | AK Ikea

Comment

Working...
                          X