This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antenna

I have a 3-story house, 4 if you count the attic. I have an available RG6 cable running from my basement (where my HS server is) all the way to my attic. I have installed the WGL800 in the basement and placed the antenna down there, but I'm finding that my signal to the motion detectors on the upper level is sporadic. I was wondering if I could "split" the signal and install multiple antennas in series, like this:

WGL800
    |
    |
    |------(antenna)
    |
    |------(antenna)

etc.

Or should I do this:

WGL800
    |
    /\ Splitter
    / \
    / \---Antenna 1
    /
    /---Antenna 2

Or will neither of these work? Or will the cable itself act as a better and better antenna if I simply terminate in the Attic some 50 feet away from the 800?

Thanks

Splitting antennas I would think would lead to mixed phase signals coming back to the reciever. I don't think that works.
    HS3 Prod - Win10 - DSC - HVAC-GC-TBZ48 x3 - CurrentCost - BLRadar - RFXCOM/FRXTRX433 -ADIO - HSTOUCH - BLUPS - AB8SS - SONOS - Alexa - 1 wire - BlueIris -MyQ

Comment

Yes, like Thymer said. Here is an old thread:
      http://board.homeseer.com/showthread...700#post598700

In general, when operating near ground level, the higher the antenna, the better it works. I would relocate the W800RF32 to the attic, and run the RS232 to it.

Comment

With the new W800 plugin you could use 2 seperate RF recievers. Weather they be 2 W800's or a mix of w800 and the MR26 (I think thats the model). The new plugin has the ability to deal with signals recieved from both at the same time (coverage overlap).
        Thanks,

T.

Comment

Hey Rocco, even in my old age I remember some things folks teach me!
          HS3 Prod - Win10 - DSC - HVAC-GC-TBZ48 x3 - CurrentCost - BLRadar - RFXCOM/FRXTRX433 -ADIO - HSTOUCH - BLUPS - AB8SS - SONOS - Alexa - 1 wire - BlueIris -MyQ

Comment

I would just use the coax to the attic. Put the antenna up there. Chances are that even with the extra coax you will still get better coverage with the antenna up higher. Never interrupt the coax if possible, clean runs with no connectors have the least loss.

Generally two antennas do not work well at 310Mhz unless you "tune" them with each other via positioning and even cable lengths.

Jon

Originally posted by Tcassio
            With the new W800 plugin you could use 2 seperate RF recievers. Weather they be 2 W800's or a mix of w800 and the MR26 (I think thats the model). The new plugin has the ability to deal with signals recieved from both at the same time (coverage overlap).
            Jon Ort
            JonOrt@The--Orts.com
            (Remove the dashes in the address, spam is getting out of hand)

Comment

Originally posted by Oman
              I would just use the coax to the attic. Put the antenna up there. Chances are that even with the extra coax you will still get better coverage with the antenna up higher. Never interrupt the coax if possible, clean runs with no connectors have the least loss.

Generally two antennas do not work well at 310Mhz unless you "tune" them with each other via positioning and even cable lengths.

Jon
              So you don't recommend using a w800 external antenna with a mr26a using ACRF plugin?
              James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

I was just saying that just moving the antenna up works to get better reception vs. doing strange things like having multiple antennas on the W800.

Multiple receivers also do well to help reception but if you only have one then moving the antenna up can do wonders.

Jon

Originally posted by jasv
                So you don't recommend using a w800 external antenna with a mr26a using ACRF plugin?
                Jon Ort
                JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

Sorry, It was just this part that got me a little confused.

Originally posted by Oman

Jon
                  I use the external w800 antenna and a mr26a with the ACRF plugin andd it works great.
                  James

Running HS 3 on Win10 .

Comment

Thats two antennas to one receiver. The old CB radio trick.

Jon

Originally posted by jasv
                    Sorry, It was just this part that got me a little confused.

I use the external w800 antenna and a mr26a with the ACRF plugin andd it works great.
                    Jon Ort
                    JonOrt@The--Orts.com

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help. I have moved the antenna to the attic and that has resolved my problems. For the record, I think having that antenna anywhere near the hs server and all the other devices that one would have there (rfid, servers, wifi routers) was the root cause.

Comment

Working...
                      X