Ademco Vista 20P Intergration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kburns2 View Post
    I just saw this thread and am very interested. I have an Ademco Apex Destiny 6100. My understand (could be wrong) is that the 6100 is the basis that the Vista series was created from when Ademco aquired Apex. So, will this work with my 6100? Please say YES! I have been fighting trying to get my serial board in teh 6100 to function and I think I have a bad unit.

If it would help, I currently have 2 keypads connected and they are model 6160AP.

THANKS!
    You will need to contact Sean Mathews at nutech.com to get this answer
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Nu Tech & Sean Matthews

Do you have contact info for him? If you do not want to post this in the forums, you can email me at kburns2@gmail.com directly.

Thanks!

Keith

Comment

Power requirements.

Hay all.

Just a note I did take a measurement on the power usage. At normal running with both LED's on it runs from 20-25mA. At bootup it has a quick 30mA peek start up for under a second.

I uploaded a new version of the Mono based GUI tonight. We added the GUI keypad. I do not have the function keys F1-F4 sending yet. I need to make them press and hold buttons for safety first... If anyone has a 640x480 touch screen computer that can run mono I would LOVE to see a photo of this client in action

Re
        Sean M
        Attached Files
        Last edited by mathewss; April 8, 2009, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
          I am very close to having V1.0 of the plugin ready for the AD2USB/Vista Alarm combo.

I'll keep you posted, and please feel free to post additional requirements you would like to see for this setup

the AD2USB is avail from nutech.com for $80 and requires a connection to your panel or nearest keypad.
          mnsandler,
          Just though I check in and see how the plug-in is coming. I should have the AD2USB this week. I plan on installing over the weekend.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jkarney View Post
            mnsandler,
            Just though I check in and see how the plug-in is coming. I should have the AD2USB this week. I plan on installing over the weekend.

Jim
            I have a very solid working V1. I'm am looking forward to someone else (with a diff vista panel) giving it a try.

Can you elaborate on your requirement #3 below regarding permissions, etc. I haven't built in different user levels yet, but shouldn't be hard. But i don't know what people want to allow or disallow based on user level.

also, do you use Bypass mode a lot? this has been very challenging to track bypass in the plugin relative to what is actually happening in the alarm.

btw: Sean Matthews has written a very cool "virtual keypad" for the alarm. You can now armchair program your alarm! checkout his site if you have already.
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
            Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
            Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
            Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Mark,
              To cool; I think it's pretty awesome that I will finally be able to tie my alarm system with HS.

Can you elaborate on your requirement #3 below regarding permissions, etc.

I did not word #3 correctly and as your aware this was just a staring wish list. What important is to ensure that the alarm system cannot be disarmed without the proper security code. If the AD2USB acts like an alarm keypad then this concern is addressed by the alarm system itself.

also, do you use Bypass mode a lot?
              I very rarely use the by-pass mode so this is not something I would probably use at this time. Maybe in the far future?

btw: Sean Matthews has written a very cool "virtual keypad" for the alarm. You can now armchair program your alarm! checkout his site if you have already.
              I have seen the virtual keypad; I just need to wrap my brain around how to configure for use on the HomeTroller 2.

My alarm system is a A*T Safewatch Pro which is basically a Ademco Vista 20P.
              So once a get the AD2USB installed in my alrm system I'll let you know.

Cheers

Jim

Comment

how the vista alarm plug-in going to work regarding the security code

I have a config page where you can enter/save your alarm code to an ini. the code will be encrypted when saved.

the plugin needs the 'code' in order to arm, disarm, and use bypass, or set chime mode. Which is something i wanted to be able to do.

Once you get your ad2usb setup, you will also config it with your alarm code. not exacly sure why thought

I have discussed with sean about a mechanism to read the alarm code directly from the ad2usb, but we never finalized a protocol.

do you have any thoughts either way about where the code is stored/retrieved?
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

do you have any thoughts either way about where the code is stored/retrieved?
                  Really the only thought I have is overall security of the code. I think as you stated the ini file with code encrypted is secure and would pose no problem.

The question is how the code is retrieved; when the system is Armed/Disarmed via HS device does the plug-in make you enter the security code or does it retrieve it from the ini file? If the latter is used and you have an unauthorized access to HS via Internet this could pose a security issue. (This assumes they know what they are doing).

Thoughts?

Comment

Sean, my Ademco panel is about 100 feet away from my PC, and I can't run a serial cable from one to the other (not because of distance, but because of physical configuration). I do, however, have an extra CAT5 cable running between these two locations.

Do you think I can I use CAT5 wire to connect between the AD2USB and the panel?

Comment

Originally posted by jwshome2 View Post
                      Sean, my Ademco panel is about 100 feet away from my PC, and I can't run a serial cable from one to the other (not because of distance, but because of physical configuration). I do, however, have an extra CAT5 cable running between these two locations.

Do you think I can I use CAT5 wire to connect between the AD2USB and the panel?
                      Well this isn't sean but yes you can use a cat5 to carry a serial line. 100 ft shouldn't be a problem. I think the max is over 150ft
                      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

I agree this is not a problem. You have 8 wires in your CAT5 cable. You should pair them up to decrease the voltage loss. Join the color pairs and make 4 wires.

I am however very curious what the Twists in the CAT5 wire would do for the signal. Ill have to "in my free time" blaa... research that. It may be optimal to use a specific pair for the DI/DO and the other for power. If you google "POE" and find what pair they put power on I would try and use that pair for the 12v and GND.

Re
                        Sean M

Well this isn't sean but yes you can use a cat5 to carry a serial line. 100 ft shouldn't be a problem. I think the max is over 150ft

Comment

Really the only thought I have is overall security of the code. I think as you stated the ini file with code encrypted is secure and would pose no problem.

The question is how the code is retrieved; when the system is Armed/Disarmed via HS device does the plug-in make you enter the security code or does it retrieve it from the ini file? If the latter is used and you have an unauthorized access to HS via Internet this could pose a security issue. (This assumes they know what they are doing).

Thoughts?
                          Jim,
                          have you gotten your ad2usb online?

regarding security of the panel code, for my purposes, i am not interested in having to type in the panel code to arm or disarm via HS, thus the code is retrieved (from ini) and sent automatically to the alarm. Certainly security of your HS installation is important to prevent unauthorized access to everything
                          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Jim,
                            regarding security of the panel code, for my purposes, i am not interested in having to type in the panel code to arm or disarm via HS, thus the code is retrieved (from ini) and sent automatically to the alarm. Certainly security of your HS installation is important to prevent unauthorized access to everything
                            Mark this works for me.

As far as configuring the AD2USB with the Hometroller 2: I'm a little confused on what I need to install on HT2 if anything. I need to find out what is considered a minimal software install. Maybe Sean will chime in here.

Comment

Mark this works for me.

As far as configuring the AD2USB with the Hometroller 2: I'm a little confused on what I need to install on HT2 if anything. I need to find out what is considered a minimal software install. Maybe Sean will chime in here.
                              at a minimum you need to install the FTDI usb serial port driver (so the os will recognize the device) And a hyperterminal, putty or some other terminal emulator program so you can config the device.

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm
                              http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~s.../download.html

i don't have an HT2 so i can give you specifics of how to do this
                              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Thanks Mark, I just got off the phone with Sean; he had ask me to try the plug and play approach and see if HT2 recognizes the device out of the box. If not I'll install the FTDI drivers from the link you provided.

I'm also going to use hyperterminal to change the device address to 19 (keypad addresses 16,17, & 18 are in use) and test serial communications. So once I get this done tomorrow night I'll be ready to test.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X