Controlling a ceiling fan with z-wave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Controlling a ceiling fan with z-wave

I have a ceiling fan in my living room that I would like to control via z-wave. There is no wall switch for it now. It is directly wired and the only way we can control it is by using the pull chains.

I woudl like to be able to set the fan to one of its 3 speeds or turn it off and I would like on/off and dim control for the light.

Is there a z-wave product that would let me do this?

Leviton Vizia RF+
    Model- VRF01-1LZ

I think it is the only one on the market at this time. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

the problem is that i don't currently have a wall switch controlling my fan - so I'm not sure that this would work.

Comment

Since you don't have a wall switch and you probably ony have a single power line to the fan, your options are limited. One option would be to install a remote control fan switch. The receiver is mounted inside the fan unit. The remote will allow you to control the fan speed and dim the fan lights. Once that is working, you could then install a z-wave "fixture" module somewhere on the power line running to the fan. Either at the fan itself or at the junction box for the wiring that runs to the fan.

This approach would allow Homeseer to turn ON/OFF the power to the fan at whatever preset times you desire. You could then adjust the fan speed and light level with the remote.

I have several fans that I control with Homeseer. I find that we rarely change the fan speed or the light level. The fan turns ON/OFF based on the room temperature.

Steve Q
        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
        2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

That's what I was afraid of. I actually have a remote for it (it came with one) but we keep it mounted to the wall like a switch. The goal for us is really to be able to control it from our iphones like we do with the rest of our automated devices.

bummer

Comment

Originally posted by bdee1
            I have a ceiling fan in my living room that I would like to control via z-wave. There is no wall switch for it now. It is directly wired and the only way we can control it is by using the pull chains.

I woudl like to be able to set the fan to one of its 3 speeds or turn it off and I would like on/off and dim control for the light.
            Originally posted by bdee1
            The goal for us is really to be able to control it from our iphones like we do with the rest of our automated devices.
            Depends on how motivated you are to "correct" the "problem." It's always an option to a) install a junction box between the existing switch and the fan to split the 120VAC into 2 legs, b) install a double gang box and run the 2 legs through there, c) install a z-wave fan controller and dimmer into the box, d) wire the fan/light with the appropriate 120VAC from the fan controller/dimmer, e) remove original switch and change switch plate to a blank if desired.

Another option is to simply put 2 Evolve LFM-20 relay modules in the new junction box instead of the new double gang receptacle box... that would get you independent control of fan/light, you'd just have to change the fan speed via pull chain.

A third option (if you have/want any means of relay control from HS) would be to purchase a second wireless remote for the fan and then wire it to HS so you can adjust it via contact closure. This option might be the best bet for you from a cost/effort perspective... Not sure what another remote would cost, but for 35 bucks you can get a CAI WebControl - couple that with a couple bucks worth of relays at Radio Shack and you're in business.

Comment

bdee1, I had the same issue. I decided, like Steve Q says, that I wasn't worried about changing the light level or fan speed. So I installed two LFM-20 Isolated Contact Fixture Modules above the fan/light unit to control the fan on/off and light on/off separately, and I used two RF9500 Z-Wave Battery Operated Switches that I associated with the LFMs. I then mounted the 9500's anywhere I wanted, no wiring or electrical box needed. (I could have hardwired everything instead to new wall switches, but I had no attic access in that area and I didn't want to cut holes in the sheetrock, patch, paint, etc).
              All Z-Wave, #101 devices, HomeTroller Series2, HomeSeer2 v.2.5.0.81, & 1x Z-Troller

Comment

I know this is an old post, but I was looking at the same project. I just found the Insteon 2475F FanLinc which mounts inside the ceiling fan fixture. It looks like it will be a direct replacement for the current non-zwave wireless kit I have istalled.

Comment

for the LFM 20 which wires did you use on the fan. I might want to do this as well but want to make sure that I wire things correctly. Can you tell me or show the wiring diagram that you followed.

thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Broo2 View Post
                    I know this is an old post, but I was looking at the same project. I just found the Insteon 2475F FanLinc which mounts inside the ceiling fan fixture. It looks like it will be a direct replacement for the current non-zwave wireless kit I have istalled.
                    I wish there was a zwave module like this!!!
                    It would cost me like 250 to add insteon to my setup right now.

As it is, I'm going to have just get up in the attic and run a second set of wires for the lights. I already looked and its gonna be tight up there. I hate attic work!
                    HS4Pro Win10 | Fire Tablet touchscreen client, Android Phones and Tablets | Jon00 | Smartthings | Philips Hue | Trane | Caseta | Nanoleaf | Ring | August | Evolve | Aladdin | Amazon Alexa/IFTT

Comment

Originally posted by Mario23 View Post
                      I wish there was a zwave module like this!!!
                      It would cost me like 250 to add insteon to my setup right now.

As it is, I'm going to have just get up in the attic and run a second set of wires for the lights. I already looked and its gonna be tight up there. I hate attic work!
                      This is my problem, as well. I have a wall switch, but only one wire to the fan.

So, let's put the question out there to all of the gurus.... including HS.....

Does anybody know of a Z-Wave equivalent to the Insteon Fanlinc controller? Or can we reasonably expect to see one in the foreseeable future?
                      HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
                      Home Assistant 2024.3
                      Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
                      Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
                      Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
                      WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
                      AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Working...
                      X