Davis Weatherlink - 64 bit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Davis Weatherlink - 64 bit?

For many years I've been running a homr grown weather solution using the Davis Weatherlink SDK and my Weather Monitor II station. It logs the data to a SQL Server DB and updates a few devices in Homeseer.

I just upgraded my Homeseer machine to Win 7 64 bit and discovered that the Weatherlink dll's will not run in a 64 bit environment.

I believe the newer weatherlink software will support 64 bit but I don't think the newer software will run with my old Weather Monitor II (which has been one of the most reliable pieces of equipment I've ever owned)

I know the serial protocol is published but I don't really have the time to write something from scratch.

It looks like VWS will read my station from a 64 bit machine. If I understand correctly it does dump out a CSV file which I could pick up.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks,
    Greg

This Howto Helped me.

I am not sure what you are planning. I use Davis Vantage Pro2 with their Weatherlink software. This link help me. I found VWS slowed down my small HomeSeer System.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=138704

Comment

Originally posted by General Patton View Post
      I just upgraded my Homeseer machine to Win 7 64 bit and discovered that the Weatherlink dll's will not run in a 64 bit environment.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks,
      Greg
      Have you tried running the Davis Software in Windows XP compatibility mode?
      Jon

Comment

Originally posted by General Patton View Post
        It looks like VWS will read my station from a 64 bit machine. If I understand correctly it does dump out a CSV file which I could pick up. Does anyone else have any ideas?
        I run VWS on a separate computer from HS and read its csv file to update HS devices. (VWS puts the csv file in a shared folder.) If you don't mind running two computers, I think you could continue to run Weatherlink and your weather station software on an XP machine. It should be possible to have a script in HS that reads the database and updates your HS devices. Alternatively, you could modify your weather station software to generate a csv file, just as VWS does.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Thanks for all your input.

I was trying to avoid running two machines...MY new HS machine can certainly handle the load.

I do have an XP box I use to run an HS Touch screen I may just stick it on that.

The VWS-HS combination does look nice but it looks like the update frequency into HS is limited to the frequency the CSV file is updated (1 minute max).

My home grown setup was updating certain things every 15 sec...It can get quite windy here in the winter and It's always interesting to go over to the touchscreen and see how high that gust was that just rocked the house.

I'll have to play around with VWS some more.

Greg

Comment

I have mine updating HS every 10 seconds.
            Attached Files
            Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mwaite View Post
              I have mine updating HS every 10 seconds.
              Thanks. VWS Looks like a good route.

Let's see how fast I can use up all that extra horsepower on my new HS Machine

Greg

Comment

Just FYI... I too have a Weather Monitor II. I'm running the latest (or close to it) WeatherLink 5.9.2 and it works fine. I am running in 32 bits though.

Comment

Originally posted by nblilie View Post
                  Just FYI... I too have a Weather Monitor II. I'm running the latest (or close to it) WeatherLink 5.9.2 and it works fine. I am running in 32 bits though.
                  I did some more digging and I found that Weaherlink Version 5.9 and above does work with 64 bit windows.

A weatherlink update is available on the Davis website but it appears to only be an update and since the older version of Weatherlink I have doesn't install at all for me is does no good.

I see they sell it for $165 with a data logger (which I already have).

I'm think I'm going the Virtual Weather Station route. It has some really nice features.

Thanks,
                  Greg

Comment

Working...
                  X