Which Thermostat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Thermostat

I am installing a homeseer system in a new home. the home is geothermal, two units, 3ton and 2 ton, and would like to get remotely controlled, programmable thermostats. the geo units are three stage heating, two stage cooling. there are 48 1-wire temperature sensors throughout the house, which the homeseer will monitor. Any recommendations on brands, models, reliability?
    any comments are welcome
    thanks
    Bill Murphy

I use the RCS RS485 TR40 thermostats. I've found the units to be very reliable and easy to use.

http://www.resconsys.com/products/stats/serial.htm

My units are interfaced to a Stargate, which connects to HS through a plug-in. There is a plug-in to connect them directly to HS, but I have no experience with it. I also do not use the 3-stage capability, but based on my experience I would expect it to work well.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I own 2 RCS 2Way X10 tstats but only because I couldn't run cables for them but for the money and options and looks the HAI tstats can't be beat.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I am using the Aprilaire 8870, this is a great thermostat and works flawlessly with HS. I've been using it for over a month now with 0 issues and 0 hicups. Aprilaire claims this stat will work with all hvac equipment.

I have 1 of these at the moment, it is connected to a 8811 Protocal Adapter which connects directly to a serial port (or usb converter in my case) on the hs server. Running 2 stats would probably require the addition of a 8818 Dist Panel.
        HS Install Date: Feb. 16, 2007

HS3 Pro, Z-Wave, Insteon, BLStat, HS Touch Server, MyQ

WeatherXML, BLBackup, BLLAN, BLLock, Restart, CaddX, OpenSprinkler

Comment

Hi guys,

I need three stats. I don't have anything against RCS, but I do like the "looks" of the HAI and Apriliaire stats more. The Proliphix stats also seem nice, and I like the fact that they're IP based, but I have seen some posts about resets and so on when polled by the HS thermo plug-in.

I already have a CAT5 run from my HS server location to each stat, and thermostat wire run from each stat location to the corresponding HVAC unit (each unit is in a different location).

Considering my pre-wire setup, would one recommend the HAI or the Apriliare? Can I interface with either brand using only one RS-232 port on the HS server? Any other reason (aside from cost) why I would want one over the other, e.g., ability to add remote temperature sensors, humidity controls, etc?

Thanks,
          Don

Comment

I am not really familiar with the HAI, so I will let someone else comment about those units. I did look at the HAI's briefly when choosing my Aprilair. And yes, looks did matter as well, these things are typically in the main living areas after all.

You are in good shape with the wiring for an Aprilaire unit.

The Aprilaire units have options to add remote temp or temp/humidity sensors. The sensors can be set to replace the internal temp sensor on the unit, average the temp with the unit or just be an additional temp sensor not controlling the thermostat at all (handy for an outdoor sensor).

These stats can be set up as humidistats, but then that unit is dedicated to controlling humidity only.

My wife doesn't mind the unit, because she can still adjust the temp manually at the stat (this can be locked out if desired).

Not sure there is all that much difference in functionality, you may want to install the plug-ins to see if there are any differences there that sway you.
            HS Install Date: Feb. 16, 2007

HS3 Pro, Z-Wave, Insteon, BLStat, HS Touch Server, MyQ

WeatherXML, BLBackup, BLLAN, BLLock, Restart, CaddX, OpenSprinkler

Comment

Thanks Misraels. Much appreciated.

Don

Comment

Working...
              X