Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using the same certificate in more than one server in my home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using the same certificate in more than one server in my home?

I created a certificate for my HomeSeer PC (HomeTroller HS-PRO S3) using the procedure documented in this forum: http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=108130 . This procedure basically uses the makecert certification creation tool.

When I created the certificate, the domain name that I gave is the name that I use to access HomeSeer over the Internet (when I'm away from home); i.e. the name is what I've registered with my dynamic DNS provider. The certificate works with whatever port I configure my HomeTroller with.

I have a Synology NAS (Network Attached Storage) that can also be configured to use HTTPS/SSL and that takes a digital certificate as well. It can import a certificate that you provide and prompts for a password. I access my NAS from outside my home using the same domain name as my HomeTroller, except with another port number.

Questions:

1. Can I use the certificate that I created for HomeSeer on my NAS as well?

2. Is there any reason why I wouldn't want to use the same certificate for HomeSeer and my NAS (or any other device in my home that uses SSL and I want to access over the Internet)?

Thanks.

1). Yes

2). If they use different ports, then it shouldn't be a problem. Anyway if you're the only user (or you manage the devices of all the users that will access the service, eg: wife's), then this shouldn't be a problem.
    HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

Well, thanks for the info to an old post. Good info to know. Is the procedure for creating certificates in HS3 any different than the procedure for HS2 mentioned in the link to my original post?

Comment

Originally posted by randman View Post
        Well, thanks for the info to an old post. Good info to know. Is the procedure for creating certificates in HS3 any different than the procedure for HS2 mentioned in the link to my original post?
        That procedure that's posted in this sub-forum still works for HS3.
        I'm trying out a cheap commercial SSL certificate (RapidSSL) on mine due to issue getting a self-signed certificate to work with Tasker on Android lollipop.
        HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

Working...
        X