No announcement yet.

Which Win OS should I choose for my new PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use explorer and check out the new HS3 directory. The two base Z-wave drivers should be EXE files and look like this (well looking at my linux box here)...same files except different; if that makes any sense? You can copy the Z-Wave files over from your old directory.

I know this is sort of mickey mouse but give it a try anyways...

The most current Z-Wave drivers support Z-Wave +. Not sure what windows plugin version they are.

The ones in Linux are 3.0.0.216. Thinking its a different version number for Windows.

HS3:/usr/local/HomeSeer# ls HSPI_ZWave*
    HSPI_ZWave.exe HSPI_ZWave.exe.config
    Did you see an error in the log or web gui when you tried to download them?

Maybe they have not been posted yet?

I can look on the Windows box; it's off right now....
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Looks like a new Z-Wave plugin update has been posted for Linux. (V3.0.1.0)

I am guessing there is one there for Windows now too.

Checked the Zee and it too is now been updated with HS3 V 168 and plugin Z-Wave V3.0.1.0

Zee works great with Z-Net.

Did a quickie test here relating to adding one node. The Zee is on the second floor in one spare bedroom. I was able to add a switch from the first floor pressing the link button a few times while watching my laptop.

This is the first time I have tried this. Very nice.
      Last edited by Pete; April 25, 2015, 01:47 AM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

4/25/2015 3:11:14 PM ~!~Z-Wave Error~!~Database: General Exception Error creating database on 0, = The given path's format is not supported.

4/25/2015 3:11:14 PM ~!~Z-Wave Error~!~An attempt to create a database failed - the plug-in cannot continue. File=C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\Data\Z-Wave\Z-Wave.db

4/25/2015 3:11:14 PM ~!~Error~!~Initializing plug-in(1): Z-Wave Instance::Error, database could not be created.
        4/25/2015 3:11:14 PM ~!~Z-Wave Error~!~Database: General Exception Error creating database on 0, = The given path's format is not supported.Startup Complete, 6 errors detected, check the log for more information.
        Hector
        MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
        AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Personally it will not be as plug n play this afternoon. You may not want to read this. I am writing here from experience.

1 - Start from scratch
          2 - Remove the controller config from the z wave plugin
          3 - Disable the plugin
          4 - delete events associated with zwave nodes
          5 - delete zwave variables
          6 - make sure you know what they all are before deleting them.
          7 - Update the zwave plugin to version mentioned above
          Last edited by Pete; April 25, 2015, 03:46 PM.
          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
            4/25/2015 3:11:14 PM ~!~Z-Wave Error~!~Database: General Exception Error creating database on 0, = The given path's format is not supported.

4/25/2015 3:11:14 PM ~!~Z-Wave Error~!~An attempt to create a database failed - the plug-in cannot continue. File=C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\Data\Z-Wave\Z-Wave.db

4/25/2015 3:11:14 PM ~!~Error~!~Initializing plug-in(1): Z-Wave Instance::Error, database could not be created.
            4/25/2015 3:11:14 PM ~!~Z-Wave Error~!~Database: General Exception Error creating database on 0, = The given path's format is not supported.Startup Complete, 6 errors detected, check the log for more information.
            I'm guessing your new computer is a 64-bit O/S, because the path above will only work on a 32-bit O/S.

The correct path for a 64-bit O/S would be:C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\Data\Z-Wave\Z-Wave.db

Unfortunately I am not sure what all you have to edit to fix the paths, because there are some references in the registry as well as in some configuration files.

If your new machine is a 64-bit O/S, unless someone can point you to all of the changes you need to make, you will need to backup your configuration using the HomeSeer Setup General tab on the old machine, then do a fresh install of HomeSeer and all of the plug-ins on the new machine. The backup will be named something like "HomeSeerBackup_4_25_2015-14_38.zip" and will be in the downloads folder on the machine where you perform the configuration backup. Once all of that is done, then restore from your backup of the old machine using "Restore Config..." from the Setup General tab on the new installation using the zip file you just created.
            HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Personally that 64 bit (x86) upgrade from 32 bit Wintel OS is not plug n play.

Best not to spin your wheels trying to restore the 32 bit Homeseer 3 stuff to a new fresh installed 64 bit Homeseer 3 instance. It will be very time consuming.
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                Personally that 64 bit (x86) upgrade from 32 bit Wintel OS is not plug n play.

Best not to spin your wheels trying to restore the 32 bit Homeseer 3 stuff to a new fresh installed 64 bit Homeseer 3 instance. It will be very time consuming.
                Pete;

If he is moving to a 64-bit system I totally agree. That is why I outlined a fresh install as the best approach, with coping over the HomeSeer created configuration backup using the web interface, Doing it that way is really quite easy and reliable, but you have to have a complete new installation, including plug-ins before it is attempted. If he does it that way, he keeps his events and devices the way they were on the old machine.

I know there are some who have moved from 32-bit to 64-bit and manually edited the registry and config files and that is something you or I and a handful of others might tackle and would probably succeed, but it is not something I would recommend for the general user.

Comment

Thanks guys I will try with a new install and see what happens...
                  Hector
                  AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Yup; Randy; I built Hector's machine here in the Midwest. That is why I started initially installing Homeseer 3 on the root directory and ran in to that VR issue. I was originally trying to keep it simple but that whole 64 bit / 32 bit directory thing caused me grief.

I have mixed feelings whether its worth the mix and match of this directory stuff over the installation of just a 32bit OS. (well one thing then the 8Gb of memory wouldn't help much in that instance).

Well too a custom script with directory links will also cause issues unless they are fixed.

I am having similar issues here running Linux Wine in 64 bit mode versus 32 bit mode. Everything I tried worked fine in 32bit mode. I am having to hand do stuff now for 64 bit mode.

Homeseer 3 on Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit mode works fine in the same directory as Ubuntu 14.04 32 bit mode. It is much faster. I won't mention stuff any more though.

We have another issue now though and it relates to a noisy power supply doing a hum on the audio output of the box.

I have had this issue on one HS2 box running with a Pico PSU. I had gotten a great deal on some 16 AMP massive brick power supply (well way overkill) really cheap. That said it was very noisy when I plugged the audio output to the Russound zoned audio system.

I just tested by changing power supplies and the noise went away and eventually just purchased another power supply. With the Haswell boards; only tested audio out on this little tiny IBM USB powered combo speaker/microphone thing that used to come with IBM PC's in the 90's. Tiny thing with a massive IBM logo on it.

Such that we have two issues right now with Hector's new PC....audio hum and Z-Wave working. Audio hum and dependencies on TTS/VR can create an issue.

Personally here have no audio outputs right now plugged in to my Haswell HS3 box. Playing audio via a touchscreen with HS3 touchscreen Client and HS3 Speaker dot exe running on it. Works great right now.

I will connect the audio output to a mixer I am using for the two HS2 boxes and see if I hear a hum here. (here utilize two Russound zoned amps and two regular amps with the larger amp feeding the old AB8SS (for 8 more zones + 12 Russound zones).
                    Last edited by Pete; April 26, 2015, 05:18 PM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post

If your new machine is a 64-bit O/S, unless someone can point you to all of the changes you need to make, you will need to backup your configuration using the HomeSeer Setup General tab on the old machine, then do a fresh install of HomeSeer and all of the plug-ins on the new machine. The backup will be named something like "HomeSeerBackup_4_25_2015-14_38.zip" and will be in the downloads folder on the machine where you perform the configuration backup. Once all of that is done, then restore from your backup of the old machine using "Restore Config..." from the Setup General tab on the new installation using the zip file you just created.
                      Thank you Randy, I took your advice and I got all my devices and events in my new machine. I was worried about entering al my events manually, but your suggestion work great!!!
                      Hector
                      AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
                        Thank you Randy, I took your advice and I got all my devices and events in my new machine. I was worried about entering al my events manually, but your suggestion work great!!!
                        You're certainly welcome. I felt that would be the best approach, letting HomeSeer take care of all the little details. Who knows their system layout better than the company that built it.

Comment

OS and Upgrade

So what did the community decide for an operating system? 7 or 8?

Also, I am going to be upgrading from windows xp and from HS2 to HS3Pro. Does anyone have a suggestion as to the correct sequence and method?

Options:
                          1. Upgrade OS and then upgrade HS
                          2. Backup HS, do a clean install of the OS, and then restore HS2 and then upgrade
                          3. Do a clean install of both
                          4. Variations of the above

Thanks,

Seth

Comment

Originally posted by sjaffe1 View Post
                            So what did the community decide for an operating system? 7 or 8?

Also, I am going to be upgrading from windows xp and from HS2 to HS3Pro. Does anyone have a suggestion as to the correct sequence and method?

Options:
                            1. Upgrade OS and then upgrade HS
                            2. Backup HS, do a clean install of the OS, and then restore HS2 and then upgrade
                            3. Do a clean install of both
                            4. Variations of the above

Thanks,

Seth
                            You are likely going to move to Windows 10 sometime after it releases in July (predicted). In order to get the free upgrade, you will need to be running 7 or 8.1. I don't know if the community decided, but I would:
                            • Backup HS2
                            • Upgrade to Windows 8.1 (x64), unless Windows 7 is a lot less expensive.
                            • Restore HS2, since you will be going from a 32-bit to a 64-bit O/S, you will need to do a fresh install of HS2, then restore from a HomeSeer configuration backup
                            • Install HS3
                            • Make the transition to HS3
                              1. Move all devices to HS3 by importing from existing controller, name and label the devices, add plug-ins, then begin rebuilding events in HS3
                              2. Associate a new controller with HS3 (my choice would be a Z-Net) and begin moving devices and events sequentially from HS2 to HS3 while leaving both running, make sure they each use their own port for web access. I would put HS2 on 81 and leave HS3 on 80
                              3. Optionally use Jon00's connector to connect your HS2 instance to your HS3 instance
                            • When everything is moved, shut down HS2
                            I would go for #2 for the transition.

If for some reason you know you're not going for the free upgrade to Windows 10, I would go with 8.1 (x64). I stuck with 7 for a year or more to make sure 8.1 was stable, then moved to 8.1.

Comment

Thanks, Randy. Good advice. 8.1 64 bit it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X