Z-NET with Wifi??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-NET with Wifi??

I first installed Z-Net controller with a Cat5 cable and got it working satisfactorily. Today, I started using the included WiFi dongle ONLY.

What I have found is an extremely short range for the Wifi connection, much shorter(maybe 1/2 the range) than other Wifi devices(laptops, tablets, etc) I routinely use around the home. Is it the WiFi Dongle? If so are there better Dongles?

What have others experienced with the Z-NET WiFi connectivity?
    Bob

Bump! No one? No inputs?

Comment

I've used this
      http://www.amazon.com/Lb-link-150mbp.../dp/B00DW0MAIA
      with good results...

Can't account for why some have driver problems - plug and play for me - YMMV.

Comment

I finally got mine working. The range is fine, but there are some absurd restrictions:

1) SSID must be one word, all lower case
        2) SSID must be publicly broadcast

I'm getting consistent range with any other WiFi device in my house.

Comment

Originally posted by madigan View Post
          I've used this
          http://www.amazon.com/Lb-link-150mbp.../dp/B00DW0MAIA
          with good results...

Can't account for why some have driver problems - plug and play for me - YMMV.
          Madigan,
          Thanks for your reply; I ordered one/antenna may make the difference----a couple of questions:

Does good results mean a range similar to other devices you use or are you able to quantify?

Do you know how drivers get installed? Does Z-NET actually go out and find compatible drivers on it own?
          Bob

Comment

It's hard for me to say, as my home is fairly small, and I have a pretty good wifi router. I was having connection problems initially using an Edimax EW-7811Un nano sized adapter. I've always been in favor of larger antennas over smaller, so I thought getting the signal away from the rest of the circuit board might help.

I could also have tried using one of these
            http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-5ft-D.../dp/B001K9BFB8
            like I had been when I was using a Z-stick, but I didn't want something else to find a place for.

If the drivers for a device aren't included in your distribution, then you need to ssh into your Z-NET and manually install them. More info can be found at
            https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi and https://wiki.debian.org/rtl819x

Hope this helps!

Comment

It's hard for me to say, as my home is fairly small, and I have a pretty good wifi router. I was having connection problems initially using an Edimax EW-7811Un nano sized adapter. I've always been in favor of larger antennas over smaller, so I thought getting the signal away from the rest of the circuit board might help.

I could also have tried using one of these
              http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-5ft-D.../dp/B001K9BFB8
              like I had been when I was using a Z-stick, but I didn't want something else to find a place for.

If the drivers for a device aren't included in your distribution, then you need to ssh into your Z-NET and manually install them. More info can be found at
              https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi and https://wiki.debian.org/rtl819x

Hope this helps!
              Madigan,
              I installed the Lb-link WiFi(USB dongle), booted the Z-Net, and did the "find.homeseer.com" and the WiFi was listed as not installed. I assume this is because my Z-Net does not have drivers for this chipset???? If so how would I go about installing the drivers and can I do it from a network connected computer???---kind of a novice here....
              Thanks for any help......
              Bob

Comment

Hm -
                I just plugged in the LB-LINK for the first time in a new image for my Z-NET, and going through find.homeseer.com came up showing both the wired ethernet connection, and a wireless section, with places for SSID, password, security, etc.

1. You restarted after plugging in the LB-LINK? I didn't have to, but it wouldn't hurt.
                2. Have you upgraded your Z-NET to 1.0.13? If not, then try that.

I haven't made any changes to this image (I can't, since they changed the password on me after I botched my first trying a "sudo rpi-update" (!DO NOT DO THIS!), so it worked out of the box for me.

Comment

Yes I restarted both the Z-Net and HS3 and my Z-net is rev level .130(latest)--I'm going to test the new dongle on my Win7 machine so I know the unit is good!
                  Bob

Comment

For plug and play operation with the Z-NET, you'll need a WiFi adapter with the RTL8188CUS chipset. That's why we sell the one we do. Range seems to be pretty good with this. If you're having difficulty, and you bought the dongle from us, we can swap it.
                    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

All I can say is I bought the one from homeseer and the range is about 5 ft. I don't know what the problem is and whether this is just a dud of an adaptor but it seems others are also having this issue. One person reported unneccessary restrictions such as password of network having to all be one word and to be public but I have yet to test this out.

Comment

Hm -
                        I just plugged in the LB-LINK for the first time in a new image for my Z-NET, and going through find.homeseer.com came up showing both the wired ethernet connection, and a wireless section, with places for SSID, password, security, etc.

1. You restarted after plugging in the LB-LINK? I didn't have to, but it wouldn't hurt.
                        2. Have you upgraded your Z-NET to 1.0.13? If not, then try that.

I haven't made any changes to this image (I can't, since they changed the password on me after I botched my first trying a "sudo rpi-update" (!DO NOT DO THIS!), so it worked out of the box for me.
                        Madigan,
                        Just an FYI:
                        According to MacroMark(Homeseer), above,the Wifi drivers included in the Z-Net software are for a WiFi Adapter based on the Realtek RTL8188CUS chipset. The Adapter(LB-Link BL-WN155A) you indicated you were successful installing on the Z-Net has a MTK7601 chipset, and unless the two chipsets share a common driver(unlikely) your installation should have failed. .........You've defeated Murphy's Law.

Comment

The luck of the Irish, I guess.

I ordered from Amazon
                          http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FADTN14

The unit I received, when connected to a Raspberry Pi and running lsusb comes up as:
                          Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0bda:8176 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188CUS 802.11n WLAN Adapter.

I can't account for why you received a different product, but what I received works.

Amazon is good about taking things back...

Comment

Originally posted by BobSpen View Post
                            Madigan,
                            Just an FYI:
                            According to MacroMark(Homeseer), above,the Wifi drivers included in the Z-Net software are for a WiFi Adapter based on the Realtek RTL8188CUS chipset. The Adapter(LB-Link BL-WN155A) you indicated you were successful installing on the Z-Net has a MTK7601 chipset, and unless the two chipsets share a common driver(unlikely) your installation should have failed. .........You've defeated Murphy's Law.
                            We tested a number of WiFi adapters but certainly not all of them! It's possible for other devices to work. I can only tell you what we know to work, for certain.

Comment

The luck of the Irish, I guess.

I ordered from Amazon
                              http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FADTN14

The unit I received, when connected to a Raspberry Pi and running lsusb comes up as:
                              Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0bda:8176 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188CUS 802.11n WLAN Adapter.

I can't account for why you received a different product, but what I received works.

Amazon is good about taking things back...
                              The Netgear N150 also has been reported to have two different chipsets. When they manufacture these, it's probably a supply issue. If they can't source the usual chipset, they might substitute.

Comment

Working...
                              X