No announcement yet.

Mailbox/Doorbell Sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm curious as to what kind of logic you all are using to determine your mail status. How do you know if it was the mailman that opened the box or yourself?

TIA
    Matt

Comment

The logic I use is if the alert is received after 9AM then it must have been the mailman so do what ever you desire the event to do. I have it email me. Why I have no idea. To tell you the truth the beeping on the alert system is a far as the concept really needs to go.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I prefer being alerted anytime the mailbox is opened. I have an announcement whenever it occurs, and also a quarter-hour update on the betabrite, displaying the mail arrival time. The betabrite will only start displaying after the first mailbox opening of the day. While I haven't quite figured out around the problem of myself opening the mailbox (say to drop off a letter), and I get a second update time display when I retreive my mail, I prefer this way since I have some neighbor's kids who like to play around the mailbox. You should have seen the look on their faces the first time they got caught!
        Mike

Comment

To revive a very old thread ...

I have one of the mail chime sensors that Rupp apparently also has.

I would like to integrate it into my homeseer system. It appears that everyone back in 2005 was using X10 powerflash modules to do this. I dont' have any X10 in my setup and would prefer to use Z-Wave or route it through my alarm system (ELK M1) which is what I did with my driveway alarm.

Is the best way to do this to buy something like iTach Contact Closure bridge ? Any ideas for something wireless that would be cheaper than $110?

Thanks in advance!

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by BillBurn View Post

I would like to integrate it into my homeseer system. It appears that everyone back in 2005 was using X10 powerflash modules to do this. I dont' have any X10 in my setup and would prefer to use Z-Wave or route it through my alarm system (ELK M1) which is what I did with my driveway alarm.

Is the best way to do this to buy something like iTach Contact Closure bridge ? Any ideas for something wireless that would be cheaper than $110?

Thanks in advance!

Bill
            Hi Bill,

Since you have an ELK, how about one of these: http://www.elkproducts.com/product-c...-ring-detector.

Cheers
            Al
            HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
            Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by BillBurn View Post

Thanks in advance!

Bill
              I don't know if it is a street side mailbox or mounted to your house. Mine is a street side on a post with a drop down door.

I use an Ecolink garage door sensor ~$32 on mine and it worked great with a Z-Troller, probably better with a Z-Net. It is about 75 feet from the Z-Net and connects direct.

It had to be modified to re-position the mechanical sensor inside, because on the inside of the mailbox door it tilts the opposite direction it would on the inside of a garage door.

I send a pushover notification every time it is opened. Since we occasionally open it to insert outgoing mail, the postal carrier opens it to insert mail and we open it again to retrieve the mail, I haven't been able to figure out any logic to notify us that there is mail in the box, but the pushover message lets us know the time it was opened.
              HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
                Hi Bill,

Since you have an ELK, how about one of these: http://www.elkproducts.com/product-c...-ring-detector.

Cheers
                Al
                That's a good idea and I actually have an extra one of those, however I am trying to go with a wireless solution as I'd prefer not to have to run a wire over the sensor (my ELK on the opposite side of the house from the mail chime and I need the chime there because of distance issues).

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                  I don't know if it is a street side mailbox or mounted to your house. Mine is a street side on a post with a drop down door.

I use an Ecolink garage door sensor ~$32 on mine and it worked great with a Z-Troller, probably better with a Z-Net. It is about 75 feet from the Z-Net and connects direct.

It had to be modified to re-position the mechanical sensor inside, because on the inside of the mailbox door it tilts the opposite direction it would on the inside of a garage door.

I send a pushover notification every time it is opened. Since we occasionally open it to insert outgoing mail, the postal carrier opens it to insert mail and we open it again to retrieve the mail, I haven't been able to figure out any logic to notify us that there is mail in the box, but the pushover message lets us know the time it was opened.
                  That's a good suggestion, however my box is about 250 ft from the house, so I have to use something like the mail chime as its got 450ft range vs. around 100-150 ft for zwave.

Comment

Here I am wired and using a de bounce board (well like the Elk one) for multiple sensors closing a loop.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                    X