Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raspberry pi 2 Windows 10 insider preview..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raspberry pi 2 Windows 10 insider preview..

Check this out ,

https://ms-iot.github.io/content/win10/SetupRPI.htm
    Preferred -> Jon's Plugins, Pushover, Phlocation, Easy-trigger,
    Rfxcom, Blade Plugins, Pushbullet, homekit, Malosa Scripts

HS3Pro 4.1.14.0 on windows 10 enterprise X64 on hp quadcore laptop 8 GB.

At long last a Windows variant replacement for Windows Embedded (CE).

Well, not exactly, but you get the point.

Comment

lets hope it will get a gui so we can run homeseer on it in the future

Comment

Why would you want a GUI? Just run HomeSeer on Linux it's free (the OS) and it's so much more efficient its not funny, I can run a very complex HomeSeer setup on a quad core Raspberry Pi and it's not using more than 300mb of ram including the OS.

Comment

i know , but not speech recognition , speakerserver... thats what i need
          i use homeseer for full speech recognition , if everything is complete i will post a video how i did things... im working at it for a long time.
          if linux would do that im happy

Originally posted by cytec View Post
          Why would you want a GUI? Just run HomeSeer on Linux it's free (the OS) and it's so much more efficient its not funny, I can run a very complex HomeSeer setup on a quad core Raspberry Pi and it's not using more than 300mb of ram including the OS.

Comment

Originally posted by cytec View Post
            Why would you want a GUI?
            Because managing a computer system is easier for many if it has a proper GUI compared to terminal.

HomeSeer is actually made for most people, not only the very tech savvy.
            HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
            Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
            on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
            WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

@Magnus; what is a proper GUI for a computer system?

Personally I am still on the fence relating to the use of icons / symbols and they do sometimes mean one thing for one set of folks and another for another set of folks.

The more graphics; the more eye candy really just becomes nuisance to me and can be a CPU/GPU and doesn't really relate to function of automation; but that is me.

On the other hand though the eye candy is useful in a console as it does simplify the view of automation.

Then again an omnipresent AI voice with recognition would do similiar.

Imagine for a moment those voices you hear in your head are really the AI automation goings on in your home and not your imagination.
              Last edited by Pete; May 7, 2015, 08:51 AM.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

So, am I understanding this right: the free Windows 10 IoT for Raspberry Pi2 has no OS GUI?

Comment

Yes. Correct

Comment

Originally posted by Phaeton View Post
                    Yes. Correct
                    Thanks!

So, perhaps the main advantage of such a thing might be the USB device drivers available in Windows? Nearly everything plugs into Windows. Less so with Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                      @Magnus; what is a proper GUI for a computer system?
                      A system that let's you skip the troublesome issue of remembering and entering 20 commands just to update a simple software, for example

I love Linux because it is so versatile, but if it breaks, all hell really breaks loose. After spending 3-4 hours looking for a log file that grew too large on a FreePBX system, and entering all the commands to reset the process that owned it, I'm not sure Linux is always better.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of scripting and automation, and that also means I use putty, telnet and PowerShell. But for specialized tasks, I'm a bit back and forth. For a semi-Linux-newb like me actually looking for the option I'm after is faster than googling for it...

Originally posted by NeverDie View Post
                      So, perhaps the main advantage of such a thing might be the USB device drivers available in Windows? Nearly everything plugs into Windows. Less so with Linux.
                      I don't think that's correct, at least not at the moment. Lots of USB devices work out of the box on the Raspberry Pi2 using Linux. Hardly anything works on Windows 10 IoT.

As Windows 10 for IoT is still in development, I think that the main advantage for using Windows is that 1) you can use a proper andor/ easier programming language, like C#, and 2) you can use Visual Studio, which is miles ahead of anything else.

Hopefully, they will add the GUI later. I mean, Continuum for phones looks pretty awesome, can't wait for it to be embeded into phones, I want it! So why not do the same for RaPi2 and similar devices?
                      HSPro 3.0.0.458, Z-NET with Z-wave plugin 3.0.1.190, RFXCOM + 2x RFXtrx433E, HSTouch, Squeezebox plugin, iTach IP/WF2IR & GC-100-6 with UltraGCIR, BLDenon, NetcamStudio, Jon00s Webpage builder, Harmony Hub plugin, SCSIP (with FreePBX), Arduino plugin, IFTTT, Pushalot plugin, Device History plugin.
                      Running on Windows 10 (64) virtualized
                      on ESXi (Fujitsu Primergy TX150 S8).
                      WinSeer (for Win10) - TextSeer - FitbitSeer - HSPI_MoskusSample

Are you Norwegian (or Scandinavian) and getting started with HomeSeer? Read the "HomeSeer School"!

Comment

Originally posted by NeverDie View Post
                        Thanks!

You'd be surprised at the hardware support with the latest Linux distros. My edgeport/8 for example was plug n play on my pi2.

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk
                        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                          You'd be surprised at the hardware support with the latest Linux distros. My edgeport/8 for example was plug n play on my pi2.

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk
                          That is great news because I will need an Edgeport/8 in order to switch from Windows to the PI2.
                          Cheers,
                          Bob
                          Web site | Help Desk | Feature Requests | Message Board

Comment

How does that work exactly? Which of the following is it?
                            1. Linux notices the USB device at the time of Linux OS installation and then automagically downloads a driver for it,
                            2. Linux, like Windows 7, notices the USB device when you plug it in, and if the device driver isn't already installed, it looks over the internet into its database to find a match, downloads and installs it,
                            3. All (99%+) USB drivers are already part of the current Linux distro. "apt-get update install" keeps the driver library current.
                            4. If the USB driver doesn't happen to be part of the Linux distro that you installed from, the burden is entirely on you to find one. Good luck with your Googling!
                            5. Something else?

Up till now, I had thought the answer was #4, but actually worse: the rule of thumb was you generally had to wait 2 years after hardware was introduced before you could reasonably expect there might be a Linux driver for it. If it's now much better than that, then I'm delighted, but what changed? Was it Android's popularity that finally tilted the playing field?

Hardware drivers were one of the last things holding me a slave to Windows.

Comment

The Linux USB database is always updated and can be found here.

The only issue that I have seen is USB 3.0 in Wintel and Linux.

That said in Windows it was related to W7. I have not seen issues with W81/10

In Ubuntu 14.04 I have not had issues with any USB adds to date.

I am currently running Ubuntu 14.04 Squeezeplayer/XBMC in one room connected to a USB digital audio device to a the multimedia player there and it was a plug in play installation.
                              - Pete

Auto mator
                              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                              X