Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To control multiple devices - use event or group?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To control multiple devices - use event or group?

Just started using Insteon and have been playing with it, what's the best practice to control large amount of devices with 1 button?

for example, i want to program 1 of the buttons on my keypad to turn on certain devices like kitchen, hallway, ceiling..etc. if I group these together, the status on these won't change if they are turned on/off by the group controller, but it seems more reliable this way than using Events.

Suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

the group is the way to go.

did you build the group using the plugin 'group' feature and set the kpl btn as the controller?

This setup should update the status of the individual participants or responders when the group is controlled via the controller.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
      the group is the way to go.

did you build the group using the plugin 'group' feature and set the kpl btn as the controller?

This setup should update the status of the individual participants or responders when the group is controlled via the controller.
      Yeah I use the kpl button as the controller. I'll go with your suggestion then.

thanks Mark!

Comment

what if you want multiple controllers? if you have 3 kpl's and you want an "all off" button so if you click the "all off" it turns specific items off but turns on the buttons on 3 kpl's.

Should i leave the controller blank or just pick one as the main, i don't see option for multiple controllers.

Comment

by definition a group really only has one controller

create a second group with the same participants and the second controller. then create a third group for the third controller
          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
          Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
          Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
          Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

thanks will do. Gave up on HS3 a while back and now setting back up again. Is there an easy way in HS3 to view all insteon links and delete them all so i can start from scratch?

i've been using insteon hub for everything with links, but even that wasn't fully setup. houselinc seems to be able to delete links so im trying that now.

Comment

you will need to do a factory reset on the hub and devices individually. see the individual manuals for instructions...its different for each device type.
              Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
              X