Ztroller stops responding periodically

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Person View Post
    I am doing usb2serial ... I did try different USB ports.

This is probably the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
      Which USB2Serial device are you using?
      One I bought from HS store:

http://store.homeseer.com/store/Tren...able-P979.aspx

This thing has been running since Nov-2011 ... but has became flaky ... I have not moved it around recently or twisted cables so I doubt that is the problem ... but you never know. Will try another cable once I have time for shopping this weekend ...

Comment

Originally posted by Automated View Post
        Make sure that there are NO batteries in the ztroller when it is plugged in. Only use the batteries when you are including a new device to the zwave network.
        Why is this recommended?
        Hector
        MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
        AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Originally posted by Rotech View Post
          Why is this recommended?

Even on wall power, the batteries will eventually get low. Then if there is even a small power dip from the wall power, the controller can hang, such that it will not respond even once power is restored. I have witnessed this personally. If there are no batteries, and wall power fails or dips, then usually it will just reinitialize, and Homeseer will continue operating normally.

Comment

Even on wall power, the batteries will eventually get low. Then if there is even a small power dip from the wall power, the controller can hang, such that it will not respond even once power is restored. I have witnessed this personally. If there are no batteries, and wall power fails or dips, then usually it will just reinitialize, and Homeseer will continue operating normally.
            Wow.
            Removing batteries now.

Learn something new everyday.

Comment

That's a surprise for me also
              Hector
              AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Ztroller stops responding periodically

I should qualify my statement... I have seen what I believe was that behavior, but I have not connected a variable voltage power supply to the battery leads, and made a repeatable test. So from my anecdotal experience, AND knowing that AA batteries will corrode the terminals over time (I think everyone has seen that at least once in their life), I choose to never have them in, unless I am walking around with it, adding devices. As my HS server, and peripherals have backup power, there is no need for the ztroller batteries.

Comment

I should qualify my statement... I have seen what I believe was that behavior, but I have not connected a variable voltage power supply to the battery leads, and made a repeatable test. So from my anecdotal experience, AND knowing that AA batteries will corrode the terminals over time (I think everyone has seen that at least once in their life), I choose to never have them in, unless I am walking around with it, adding devices. As my HS server, and peripherals have backup power, there is no need for the ztroller batteries.
                  It does make sense about the battery's, when you need to move the troller just pop in the battery's and disconnect power. Thks for the tip.
                  Hector
                  AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

This is probably the problem.

I tried second ztroller with no luck ... eventually broke down and bought GlobalCache serial to Ethernet. I have my router(yes switch part is the only one in between devices, I know :-)) and Ztroller on UPS. PC and Global cache directly wired to Ethernet port on the router (same subnet). It is working without any problems and delays are minimal/non noticeable compared to USB connection. Now I have two ztrollers but what I really needed to do is to move from USB to Ethernet :-)

Thanks folks for all the feedback/inputs ... this was painful but turned out well at the end.

Comment

Working...
                    X