New Touchscreen Wall Mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Touchscreen Wall Mounts

Pretty cool. They use magnets to hold a touchscreen to a rotable wal mounted base.
    Power is wireless via induction charging.
    It's for the iPad2 but you know someone will come out with one for other tablets.

http://iportmusic.com/products/launch

More info and videos at:
    http://www.launchport.com/
    --
    Jeff Farmer
    HS 3, HSPhone
    My HS3 Plugins: CFHSExtras, Random, Restart, Tracker, WeatherXML, PanaBluRay
    Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Have you seen anything on pricing?

Comment

Just what they have on their website.

http://www.launchport.com/products

$199 for the mount and charger.
      $149 for the case the ipod slides into.
      --
      Jeff Farmer
      HS 3, HSPhone
      Other Plugins In Use: APCUPSD, BLOnkyo, Device History, EasyTrigger, HSTouch Server, PHLocation2, Pushover, RFXCom, UltraGCIR3, UltraMon3, UltraPioneerAVR3, X10, Z-Wave

Hardware: GoControl Irrigation Controler, Schlage Lever Lock, Schlage Deadbolt, Way2Call Hi-Phone, RFXCom RFXrec433 Receiver, WGL 800, TI-103, Z-Net, Pioneer 1120, Pioneer 1021, Pioneer LX302, Panasonic BDT-110, Panasonic BDT-210 x2

Comment

$350 ouch but it is really neat.
        💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Indeed, expensive, but probably worth it. Over the years I've been looking at various touchscreen solutions for whole house control - basically wall-mounted screens in every room sort of idea. I have yet to jump in, largely because the costs of setting up touchscreens and controllers in every room was cost-prohibitive.

Then the ipad comes along, and suddenly we have a $500 completely enclosed wireless home automatoin controller that changes the game. Except that there is very little available in the world of wall-mounts that are powered, device removable (easily for day-to-day removals, not pain-in-the-*** removals) and aren't huge/cumbersome. This mount appears (at first glance) to meet those criteria. If it works well, then when I finally jump in I'll probably be buying a bunch of them.

Now if I can just find a source for relatively cheap, used 16GB wifi only iPads...

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
            Indeed, expensive, but probably worth it. Over the years I've been looking at various touchscreen solutions for whole house control - basically wall-mounted screens in every room sort of idea. I have yet to jump in, largely because the costs of setting up touchscreens and controllers in every room was cost-prohibitive.

Then the ipad comes along, and suddenly we have a $500 completely enclosed wireless home automatoin controller that changes the game. Except that there is very little available in the world of wall-mounts that are powered, device removable (easily for day-to-day removals, not pain-in-the-*** removals) and aren't huge/cumbersome. This mount appears (at first glance) to meet those criteria. If it works well, then when I finally jump in I'll probably be buying a bunch of them.

Now if I can just find a source for relatively cheap, used 16GB wifi only iPads...
            A bunch at ~$900 a pop. Wow. I thought $900 PC's with wall mounts have been around for a while?

Comment

I think you're right about that, more recently that sort of thing has started appearing. It used to be that you were looking at $1500+ to get a decent touch screen and controller (ie computer-ish device) up and running in a room.

However, even now, the iPad still changes the game, because I can get everthing I need in the iPad, but also more - with the iPad and a quality wall-mount that allows for *easy* (operative term here) removal of the iPad anytime you want, I can suddenly use it for various other things with Couch control.

eg - walk into a room and I just want to change lights or turn on music - walk by the wall, set what I need, and keep going.

eg #2 - walk into a room and grab the iPad off the wall as I walk by, sit down on the couch and use it for control, or web surfing, or playing a game, or using it for TV control, etc. When I leave the room just slap it back onto the wall as I walk by.

To me, that is the ultimate convenience.....

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                $350 ouch but it is really neat.

Hopefully, those are just MSRP and not what they will actually sell for.

No biggie to me, as I don't have any iPads anyway.

I think it's pretty cool that the electronics world is finally starting to catch up to what many of us have been trying or doing for several years.
                --
                Jeff Farmer
                HS 3, HSPhone

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
                  I think you're right about that, more recently that sort of thing has started appearing. It used to be that you were looking at $1500+ to get a decent touch screen and controller (ie computer-ish device) up and running in a room.

However, even now, the iPad still changes the game, because I can get everthing I need in the iPad, but also more - with the iPad and a quality wall-mount that allows for *easy* (operative term here) removal of the iPad anytime you want, I can suddenly use it for various other things with Couch control.

eg - walk into a room and I just want to change lights or turn on music - walk by the wall, set what I need, and keep going.

eg #2 - walk into a room and grab the iPad off the wall as I walk by, sit down on the couch and use it for control, or web surfing, or playing a game, or using it for TV control, etc. When I leave the room just slap it back onto the wall as I walk by.

To me, that is the ultimate convenience.....
                  This is true. Hopefully the mounts will come down over time as well.

Comment

The mount is more expensive than some touch pads.... Like the idea though. It would be cleaner if the high voltage stuff was in a two gang wall box.
                    Don

Comment

The cost here is crazy if you ask me. Another down side is that the sleeve adds bulk to the tablet and makes it look less clean hanging on the wall. I dont know why wireless charging is not standard yet. The added cost to the device is so minimal. The only tablet that I am familiar with that has it standard is the HP Touchpad. In the meantime you can just add wireless charging to your device. See my thread.

http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=153955

Comment

For the price I think I'd rather just have 2 iPads!

That being said - it is pretty cool.

Comment

While it's true that the mount is more expensive than some tablets, iPad+mount is still cheaper than what most 10" touchscreen wall mounted rigs would cost, without the flexibility.

It's not a cheap solution, but it's also not the most expensive, and I would argue it's not for everyone. There are many successful HA rigs out there with no desire for wall-mounted control. But for anyone who's serious about wall-mounted touchscreen control around their house, to me this seems like an ideal, and cost effective (if not cheap) solution...

Comment

I just want to add that the customer support from the supplier (Dana Innovations, aka Sonace) is excellent. I recently had a unit fail and they replaced it without question, even though the unit had been in unused storage for 2 years while we built our new home. There are not many companies that offer that level of support.

As for the system itself, it is excellent. It is extremely stable on the wall making for a great wallmount interface to Homeseer. And it is also nice being able to pull the ipad off the wall to use free hand for other uses, unlike a fixed wall mount PC.

Despite the price I would recommend this product.

Marty
                            iCore5 Win 10 Pro x64 SSD

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 Windows

BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

Comment

Working...
                            X