New Weather Station DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Weather Station DIY

Fishing here for interest in a new device.

Currently here utilize Cumulus 1 on Wintel (X2), Cumumulus MX on a RPi2.

Relating to Homeseer using Jon00's Cumulus to Cumlus software

Relating to WeatherXML currently have it configured for two weather stations.

For Davis stuff utilize both a Vantage Vue and Pro 2 in one location and a Fine Offset in another location.

I also utilize 1-Wire stuff here and still have an AAG 1-wire weather station up.

Somebody has made a hardware device which utilizes multiple standards of weather device connectivity (well and Davis) using standard communication protocols for wired and wireless communications.

I am into hardware tinkering such that I was going to do a DIY for this new device. There is two pieces to it. One is the transmitter weather station piece and other is the base receiver piece.

I would detail the build in a baby step fashion.

I noticed the radio stuff here and I think it can be integrated in to this device base. The device base is very modular.

Personal adds to outside TX box would be a GPS / NTP server, solar battery charging system plus the NOAA radio stuff. Maybe a low powered weather cam would be another add.

Any interest in this DIY?

Much of it is purely a DIY hardware wise and a bit of software stuff.

Here are pictures. First one is one side of it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pete; July 25, 2015, 12:06 PM.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

i would enjoy reading this

Comment

What it does is emulate a Davis Vantage Pro 2 and allows for different weather instruments: IE: rain tipping, temperature, humidity, wind, solar, et al.

Have a read here.
      Last edited by Pete; July 27, 2015, 07:26 AM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Hi would love to follow and do one myself

Would love to see the instructions for one of this.

Thanks
        Chris

Comment

I'm interested too
          HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

Here will be building one. Looks to be available only as a kit with just a bit of assembly.

I am going to move this post over to the DIY section and retitle it as a Weather Station Data logger to keep it simple.

I want to put this device in my attic. Currently running weather software on the RPi2 which is attached to the weather console.

The TX part / box will work with a variety of wired and wireless sensors. The wireless transport language to the RX part is unique.

This means that you can build the weather station with whatever weather station parts or environmental sensors you want.

Starting slow and want to document one build first.

The receiver has a smaller footprint than my current console. I can put it in a plastic box with the RPi2 and power it via POE (both RPi2 and receiver).

I do not know enough yet other than its just dropping a sketch on to an Arduino.

Here is a parts list including adds:

- Arduino Nano ATMEGA328P-AU v3.0
            - BMP085 or BMP180 Digital Barometric Pressure Sensor
            - DHT 22 Temperature / Humidity Sensor
            - ASK OOK Super Regeneration 433.92 Receiver
            - SMA antenna connector
            - High precision DS3231 Real Time Clock

First part:

1 - main RX board (datalogger) 17.90€ - $19.62 - plus shipping
            2 - here will list out what needs to be soldered to the board pictured and where to purchase the parts (with prices).

10th of August, 2015

Writing back and forth relating to endeavor.

You will need the RX / TX pieces. The TX pieces connect to a variety of weather instruments. The RX pieces talk to the TX pieces and communicate to Cumulus using the Davis weather communications format.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Pete; August 10, 2015, 02:19 PM.
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I would love to be able to build one of these. Gary

Comment

I went back and forth yesterday with the maker of the devices (RX and TX). He is in Portugal. The RX piece of it emulates a Davis Console (using the Davis Communications replicated standard). The TX piece of it emulates the Davis ISS except it uses different weather stuff. The TX to RX pieces unique but not encrypted.

So the above noted you can use a Fine Offset weather station with the TX part of it and connect to the RX part of it such that it appears to be a Davis Weather station.

Well and too sometime in the future will be able to read a Davis ISS.

Thing is that the Vantage Vue is OK except that the rain tipping cup is attached. This does make the Vantage Pro a better weather station. This person's modules emulate the Davis Vantage Pro stuff with pluggable modules to the TX part of it. It is way better to use separate weather instruments than the all in one stuff when doing this. Here playing with both a Vantage Vue ISS and a Vantage Pro II ISS.

The maker of the device is also making weather instruments like a UV / Solar sensor which emulates the Davis one only more accurately and its a DIY build. It also works fine using the commonly utilized wireless temperature sensors that you see here being utilized.

Other than the base RX and TX circuit boards the rest of the stuff is easy to find and very reasonably priced.

He has also added a large or small LCD console to the RX pieces of it in a different module and put it all in one box. Here I want to put the RX pieces in the attic with an RPi2 powered POE wise as I never really look at the Davis Consoles these days.

I want to be able to source UV here rather than using a temperature sensor in a jar or using the internet. Also build a better lightning sensor than what I am using today. What I would like to do though is combine a bunch of stuff in one box outside using solar / battery stuff plus add 1-2 wireless weather HD cams to the mix. Cams do draw some power though. I have a few bare bones HD IP cameras and can fit them to the inside of the plastic weather case with no issues. (except for the power draw).

You can though today just use all wireless with the set up. (IE: Davis console and RPi2 with a wireless and use one power supply).

So here starting very slow maybe just purchasing the RX / TX currently designed circuit boards. The smallest SMD pieces already come soldered on the two boards. The rest of hardware is easy to solder on. The Arduino pieces are basic but you have to be able to know how to write an OS to them.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                X