No announcement yet.

Help Me Pick A Weather Station

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rupp, just curious...why did you choose the Davis? It seems to be a lot more than the Oregon models and was wondering what I would gain by going that route over something like the WRM100. I live right by the beach and I was wondering what the salty humid air will do to the sensors and equipment (not to mention the hurricanes).

Comment

Originally posted by GatorEye View Post
      Rupp, just curious...why did you choose the Davis? It seems to be a lot more than the Oregon models and was wondering what I would gain by going that route over something like the WRM100. I live right by the beach and I was wondering what the salty humid air will do to the sensors and equipment (not to mention the hurricanes).
      Longevity, accuracy of data and quality of equipment. Like I mentioned earlier - I "messed" with the one wire stuff for 4 or 5 years and my station was down several times a year due to various components dieing, quitting, getting taken out by lightning. I bought the Davis, plugged it in and it's been going since the day I plugged it in. Add to this the fact that my BS degree was in Meteorology and Climatology and I'm a weather "freak" and this was the station for me.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

For an average user, would the Davis be worth the extra money over the Oregon Scientific in your opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
          The way I interface my weather station (Davis Vantage Pro II) with HomeSeer is via Weather-Display. I connected my station to to my PC using the associated hardware. Weather Display collects all of the data and stores it as well as graphs it in many ways. Then to get the data into HomeSeer, Weather-Display comes with a set of free HomeSeer script files that you simply setup in a recurring HomeSeer event to read the data from Weather-Display and post to HomeSeer devices. At this point all of the weather data is available to be used for triggers in HomeSeer. Here's the out of the box Weather-Display web interface with a sampling of the built in graphs.
          http://weather.ruppworld.com

Here's a screen shot of some of the information available from Weather Display:
          Very cool.

I really like what you have here and will be purchasing a Davis station soon.

So is Weather-Display a completely third party app? I do not see it on the HomeSeer Updater.

Your post is 2.5 years old. Would you still go Davis/Weather-Display at this time?

Regarding your weather.ruppworld.com site: Can I expect the same array of rich graphics inside Homeseer, or is this a special page you constructed?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by mwolfod View Post
            Very cool.

I really like what you have here and will be purchasing a Davis station soon.

So is Weather-Display a completely third party app? I do not see it on the HomeSeer Updater.

Your post is 2.5 years old. Would you still go Davis/Weather-Display at this time?

Regarding your weather.ruppworld.com site: Can I expect the same array of rich graphics inside Homeseer, or is this a special page you constructed?

Thanks.
            I can't speak for Rupp but I have been using both a Davis vantage pro II weather station and weather display software for a few years now and have been very happy with both.

Weather display is a completely separate program from homeseer that you need to purchase separately from the author. You can import data from weather display into homeseer just fine with the supplied scripts but if you prefer to go the cheap guy route like myself you can get a free / donationware program called cumulus. Cumulus has scripts available in the homeseer forum that will import data from the cumulus program and insert them into homeseer. I actually use both programs and am very happy with both. I use cumulus to update weather data in homeseer and weather display as my main weather data collector that updates my website.

I may be wrong on this but it looks like Rupps weather.ruppworld.com website is the one that you can produce from inside weather display and then post to a web host. I do something similar but use a free set of .php scripts to produce my site. I only have to upload a few pages of information and the .php scripts do the rest You can check it out at http://www.myautomatedhomeweather.org and if you want some more info I can try to supply you with some.

If i could figure out how to attach a pic to this post I would upload a screen shot of cumulus data brought into homeseer but I can't for the life of me figure it out I must be too tired. 1:30 in the morning is waaay too late for me.

Comment

Can you use Oregon by USB in HS without RFXCom?

Hi!

I'm aware this post is quite old, but it's the closest one I found for my query.

I am looking at different Oregon weather stations that connect by USB to the PC. My understanding is that, provided there is a valid plug-in, there would not be any need for RFXCom. So is there any valid plug-in for direct reading and using of temperature, humidity, wind, etc... measurements done by the Oregon USB Weather Stations (I'm looking at WMR88 and similar)?

Thanks!

Alex

Comment

I use weather display as an interface to Homeseer. The software supports nearly every weather station and comes with Homeseer scripts. The beauty of this approach is that you have proper weather software logging readings, providing graphs, dials etc and allows you to change weather stations without needing another HS plugin. You also get a 1-wire interface built in!
                Jon

Comment

Ok Jon! I'll look for a good Oregon (I'm thinking about the WMR100 and will try with weather display so it can feed HS with temperatures and other readings for triggering purposes... I'm just trying to solve other things before (SW12 in another post).

Alex

Comment

Do I need the weather station

I also have been looking for a cheap way to get the current outside temperature into HS. From reading this trail, it appears that all I need is an Oregon Scientific Temp sensor (such as THGR268) and the RFXCOM. Is that right, or do I really need one of their weather stations?

Comment

a simple and inexpensive way to get temps into HS is also to use a 1-wire system with "free" dallas temp devices, into a DS9097 input. There are HS scripts available to get the data into HS.

Comment

Maybe, but I really need wireless. If Lacrosse can measure, transmit wirelessly, and display temperature for under $30, there's got to be a way to get that one number into HS for less than $100.

Comment

So, did I get it right: you can use Oregon sensors either with RFXCom receiver, or with an Oregon station, connected to the PC via USB (like WMR100), and by means of Weather Display you can feed HS with all the data that you collect from the sensors in real time so you can monitor it and trigger events...?

Cheers

Alex

Comment

In the "moving slower than a snail" category, I finally broke down and bought a weather station. I purchased the Ambient Weather WS-2080. I decided I would start with something moderately priced and if I got a year or two out of it and I was still interested I'd get something better. It seems to be a good value for the price. The only downside is that it doesn't report as frequently as I would like so the wind data isn't very accurate, but again, I'm sacrificing something for the price.

So far it seems to work well.

Next thing I need is a way to get the data out of it and into my SQL Server and HS.

Comment

Originally posted by GatorEye View Post
                              In the "moving slower than a snail" category, I finally broke down and bought a weather station. I purchased the Ambient Weather WS-2080. I decided I would start with something moderately priced and if I got a year or two out of it and I was still interested I'd get something better. It seems to be a good value for the price. The only downside is that it doesn't report as frequently as I would like so the wind data isn't very accurate, but again, I'm sacrificing something for the price.

So far it seems to work well.

Next thing I need is a way to get the data out of it and into my SQL Server and HS.
                              It looks very similar to what I have (the station itself is identical, albeit the display is slightly different) and google suggests it works with EasyWeather. I have partially written a plugin (prob 80% done) that reads the .dat file (just a csv file really) from EasyWeather and populates some devices and reads it into another SQLite Database just for HS's purpose, also produces some basic graphs. I did plan on finishing it in the next couple of weeks, if you ever wanted to try it let me know.

(you could easily just write a script for EasyWeather to do the same, I just wanted to write a plugin).

Comment

I'll probably be using Cumulus. I don't think you are supposed to run Cumulus and EasyWeather at the same time so. I guess I'd need something to read the data generated by Cumulus.

Once I get it actually logging the data I'll take a look and see how bad it is. I'm assuming it probably isn't.

Comment

Working...
                                X