Vitamin D video surveillance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for that input Pete.

I looked forever last night for the fake smoke detector that I seen months ago. It does resemble the model in the link below, but from the model I seen before showed the cover off and you could see where additional cameras could be installed. there was placement for a pin hole camera every 90 degrees.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...331&cmd=VIDESC

I thought I saved a bookmark as a reference but for the life of me I can find any web page that will show with the cover off. The smoke detector I recall was around 70-80 maybe with additional pin hole cameras for 40-50 dollars.

Also what's you opinion on either a DVR or IP Video Encoder so I use them with VitaminD?
    Have you used analog camera of these sort with VitaminD
    HSPro: 3.0.0.194
    PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
    HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

Also what's you opinion on either a DVR or IP Video Encoder so I use them with VitaminD?
      Security DVRs are mostly propietary embedded linux and mostly all different. You can get a refurbished Axis 4 port video server very reasonably priced these days. These are built to last and will most likely work just fine with VitaminD.

Have you used analog camera of these sort with VitaminD
      I have always used Zoneminder with an 8 port CCTV card. Never used Vitamin D.

That said up until recently used all kinds of analog cameras. Trying this or that. The analog cameras today that are cheap $50 have good quality lens and electronics compared to say 5 years ago.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by frenchgrey View Post
        Hi,

What I understand you were able to integrate Vitamin D in to HS
        Can you briefly explain how to... or some script sample
        I would be very appreciated. I intending to get it but before I trying to do proper research

Many Thanks in advance

Marek
        If you're still looking for some examples, let me know. I have Vitamin D integrated into HS. It is really pretty easy.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieWayne View Post
          Thanks for that input Pete.

I looked forever last night for the fake smoke detector that I seen months ago. It does resemble the model in the link below, but from the model I seen before showed the cover off and you could see where additional cameras could be installed. there was placement for a pin hole camera every 90 degrees.
          After days of looking I found the camera I was looking for that's holds up to 4 Sony pin hole cams.

http://www.supercircuits.com/hidden-...amera-cvl9wv-2

Excuse that this is not directly VitaminD related but I think something of this nature would go hand and hand with the software.
          PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
          HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

Relating to pure analog you will need four video cables coming from it. You can though put a 4 port IP server near it and take it to IP. That said I think they make similiar today with an IP board built in for the four cameras. It'll be more though than $100.

BTW I like my Optex combo cams so much that I have updated the camera boards on them with newer better and better lens.

That said my continuation of said efforts is now to switch the boards / lens again but this time with an IP board such that I still keep the analog out plus have HD IP. I did originally wire them with two cat5e cables, 1 rg6 (siamese) with power; such that the transition will not be a big deal.
            Last edited by Pete; May 14, 2013, 08:51 AM.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Looms01 View Post
              If you're still looking for some examples, let me know. I have Vitamin D integrated into HS. It is really pretty easy.

Just curious since I use Vitamin D, what kind of integration with Homeseer do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by Sinandgrin View Post
                Just curious since I use Vitamin D, what kind of integration with Homeseer do you have?
                I have a HS virtual device that specifies whether my security system is on/off. Integrating Vitamin D with HS meant being able to notify me when the security system (virtual device) was on and motion was detected by VD.

I did this in two steps. I set up VD to not only save all the video to my hard drive, but it also FTP's the video to my NAS. When my security system is off, I have an event that deletes the contents of the FTP folder every 30 minutes.

My first approach (and very easy to setup) was to have HS email me when motion was detected by VD and my security system (virtual device) was on. The email just told me what camera detected the motion.

After I had that working, I wrote a little console application that attaches the most recent video in the FTP folder to the email mentioned above.

So... when my security system is armed and VD detects motion in one of my cameras, I get an email sent to me with the offending video attached.

I like this approach in case someone breaks into my house and steals my computer and my NAS. I still have a copy of the video in an email to show the police.

Comment

Originally posted by Looms01 View Post
                  I have a HS virtual device that specifies whether my security system is on/off. Integrating Vitamin D with HS meant being able to notify me when the security system (virtual device) was on and motion was detected by VD.

I did this in two steps. I set up VD to not only save all the video to my hard drive, but it also FTP's the video to my NAS. When my security system is off, I have an event that deletes the contents of the FTP folder every 30 minutes.

My first approach (and very easy to setup) was to have HS email me when motion was detected by VD and my security system (virtual device) was on. The email just told me what camera detected the motion.

After I had that working, I wrote a little console application that attaches the most recent video in the FTP folder to the email mentioned above.

So... when my security system is armed and VD detects motion in one of my cameras, I get an email sent to me with the offending video attached.

I like this approach in case someone breaks into my house and steals my computer and my NAS. I still have a copy of the video in an email to show the police.

This is a cool way to manage the two systems, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Was doing some planning on my HA systems and went back to look at Vitamin D's web page and noticed they have been bought up by another firm.

Looks as if support and development will resume on this product.

http://www.vitamindinc.com/

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieWayne View Post
                      Was doing some planning on my HA systems and went back to look at Vitamin D's web page and noticed they have been bought up by another firm.

Looks as if support and development will resume on this product.

http://www.vitamindinc.com/
                      Thanks for posting this, I thought the VitaminD product was dead which seemed to happen just as soon as I shelled out the cash for the $50.00 version.

Any idea how this new program compares to the VitaminD. On the surface it seems to have some attractive features. Not sure I am a fan of having to pay more each 12 months to stay up to date with the latest versions of their software though.

Comment

Seems the cost would be 18 dollars upgrade for existing customers. I'm courious on how much support they will give it and where the development will go.

We don't have any cameras installed yet but I do plan to trial and purchase the mins after the first one is installed.

http://sighthoundlabs.com/vitamind

Comment

Yes I liked the fact that they offer a 70% discount to existing VitaminD owners, and it might be a great opportunity to upgrade to the pro $250 version for less than $65, but I too wonder whether this would be worth it and what their software really adds from the VitaminD product I already have.

Certainly if anyone has gone out and bought this I would love to hear your feedback.

Comment

It the same software and they want you to upgrade to new version for $75.

I brought the full version about year ago for $200.

I was not happen they were not making changes.

I decide to switch to Blue Iris which has far more options to control your camera.

Comment

Originally posted by Sinandgrin View Post
                              Yes I liked the fact that they offer a 70% discount to existing VitaminD owners, and it might be a great opportunity to upgrade to the pro $250 version for less than $65, but I too wonder whether this would be worth it and what their software really adds from the VitaminD product I already have.
                              I have the Basic ($50) version from VitaminD. Looks like the upgrade to Pro is $190. I hope I'm wrong. Where did you see $65?

I stopped using VitaminD a year or so ago because you couldn't remotely monitor it (other than using RDP or the like). Now it looks like you can do that with the Sighthound version. So I'm interested again, since it does a really good job of detection.

Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin L View Post
                                I have the Basic ($50) version from VitaminD. Looks like the upgrade to Pro is $190. I hope I'm wrong. Where did you see $65?

Kevin
                                Goto their website, it's on the main page under, "Moving up to Sighthound."

As for remote monitoring there are sever ipcam apps that allow you to monitor you various camera feeds remotely, granted it's not an all in one package with VitaminD but it gets the job done. I have used IP Cam Viewer for the iPhone for years with good results.

So for me in a few work around ways it seems I already have all the feathers that Sighthound now offer and I really question what else I would be getting for my money. It might be best to wait for a more significant update to the software before giving them any money, but they do entice you we'll with the 70% off until the end of the year deal for VitaminD paid users.

Comment

Working...
                                X