Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So how do we think the hub interacts with netcams?

"Add a wireless camera and you'll see it all from your smartphone. The INSTEON cameras feature pan/tilt control and night vision"

Originally posted by mnsandler View Post
    Version 1.8.x already has support for the hub. so i think its official.

Comment

Plugin differences for Hub vs PLM

Mark,
      Can you update / correct the below list of where/how plugin functionality will be different for the Hub versus PLM for those that will be migrating? If I missed something that you know of, fill that in too

I don't want to over think it, but I have a lot of things I use in the plugin today. In some ways I can predict the differences but some are harder to guess.

Main Insteon Configuration Page
      • What settings/button functionality/differences will there be?
      • Some of the plugin utility functions won't apply, like reset, swapped interface?
      • Display Interface Links?
      • Simplehomenet device support will still go through your plugin (?)

Manage Devices
      • Adding/modifying/deleting devices in hub versus plugin (?)
      • PLM users will have to setup existing devices in hub
      • Hub users will no longer be able to add/delete/edit in the plugin (?)
      • Test communications will still work the same way (?)
      • Specialized features like keypad channels (?)

Manage Groups
      • Can / will the plugin continue to do this for the hub?
      • Will groups report as devices to HS?

Thanks!
      Paul

Comment

Originally posted by leerogers View Post
        So how do we think the hub interacts with netcams?

"Add a wireless camera and you'll see it all from your smartphone. The INSTEON cameras feature pan/tilt control and night vision"
        Lee,
        I'm not sure. I didn't spend a lot of time messing with the hub ui and its features. I'll leave that to you all.
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Originally posted by pbibm View Post
          Mark,
          Can you update / correct the below list of where/how plugin functionality will be different for the Hub versus PLM for those that will be migrating? If I missed something that you know of, fill that in too

I don't want to over think it, but I have a lot of things I use in the plugin today. In some ways I can predict the differences but some are harder to guess.

Main Insteon Configuration Page
          • What settings/button functionality/differences will there be?
          • Some of the plugin utility functions won't apply, like reset, swapped interface?
          • Display Interface Links?
          • Simplehomenet device support will still go through your plugin (?)

Manage Devices
          • Adding/modifying/deleting devices in hub versus plugin (?)
          • PLM users will have to setup existing devices in hub
          • Hub users will no longer be able to add/delete/edit in the plugin (?)
          • Test communications will still work the same way (?)
          • Specialized features like keypad channels (?)

Manage Groups
          • Can / will the plugin continue to do this for the hub?
          • Will groups report as devices to HS?

Thanks!
          Paul,

The only thing i didn't test was the interface swap interface routine. Otherwise the hub behaves just like a PLM. The hub has the same command set as the PLM (because it has the plm chip inside).

I think we'll just have to see what others uncover in time.

The hub's UI is not part of my support. Anything a user does via the hub's UI is out of bounds for me as i don't have access to that config info...nor do i want it.

I would say that if anyone has a working setup/plm, that they should stick with it. But for new users and others who absolutely need their plm on the network (maybe hs is remote/hosted), then the hub is a good option.

Back story: Several users over the years have requested an ip connection between hs and the plm. I didn't want to get into 3rd party network drivers so i had to pass on that idea. But now that SH has an ip based plm that is documented, i can make this option available.
          Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
          Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
          Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
          Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Ok, thanks Mark. Some of those features are very interesting to me. I recognize that polling is the method to get message off of the network, but in this case I don't see it as a problem for me. Switch related programing that can be noticed is all pushed to insteon controllers on the mesh. I have nothing mesh-to-server that a one second polling delay is going to matter. E.g the Appliance linc that senses attic temperature takes a second longer for the event to kick the fan on... I will never notice that, if it happens.

The reality for the PLM, USB or Serial, is that messages have to be picked up off of buffers anyway, and they come at around 2.5kb. The act of looking once a second should be extremely low impact.

I do realize that I am wondering in to uncharted waters with the hub and I accept the unknowns that come with it, just want to be sure I anticipate as best as possible.
            Paul

Comment

Transition from PLM to Insteon hub?

Mark,

I'm anticipating I may flip back and forth for a time between PLM and Insteon hub. I'm also assuming the Insteon hub is seen by your plugin as THE only interface it will deal with (as opposed to treating it as another controller device), so no coexistence of PLM + Insteon hub ?

So, if it's either-or:
              • How would I initially transition from PLM to Insteon hub ? Using the "Program and Replace/Swapped Interface" ? Same way going back to PLM ?
              • Any issue you can see around flipping PLM <--> Insteon hub, ie not loosing links ? Events still working after flip?

Comment

Originally posted by claude View Post
                Mark,

I'm anticipating I may flip back and forth for a time between PLM and Insteon hub. I'm also assuming the Insteon hub is seen by your plugin as THE only interface it will deal with (as opposed to treating it as another controller device), so no coexistence of PLM + Insteon hub ?

So, if it's either-or:
                • How would I initially transition from PLM to Insteon hub ? Using the "Program and Replace/Swapped Interface" ? Same way going back to PLM ?
                • Any issue you can see around flipping PLM <--> Insteon hub, ie not loosing links ? Events still working after flip?
                Claude,
                i really think flipping back and forth is a bad idea. The swap interface routine is flacky at best; you'll break a lot of links.

my suggestion is to setup a test HS site and run the insteon hub separately while you test it. I think you would need to do this on a separate box; not sure you can run two instances of hs on one box. this is what i do for all my testing and development. You can copy your hs database, and all the other config files so the test site will look similar. obviously other non-insteon hardware won't work on the test site.

Its ok to link devices to multiple controllers; the links will show up in both installations without issue.

once you are satisfied with the insteon hub, then you can go down the swap interface path with your production installation
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

One way to do it on a single server is with a virtual Machine. W7 allows an XP VM to be set up a copy of HS running in side of it. Using XP mode, that HS copy will show up as a window on your HS server desktop; you can have both your production HS and the VM evaluation copy running side by side. I am going to start off this way. Its probably best to initially assign the the hub to the vm to avoid USB port issues.

After seeing how it works, it will be a "big bang" cutover to the hub from the PLM, leaving lots of time to test that. We're going to have to share notes here as to how it goes.
                  Paul

Comment

Mine is in constantly slipping backorder... hopefully, it will now ship 12/14/2012. :-/

Comment

Hey Mark, the docs list 4 models of the hub:
                      2242-222,
                      2242-422,
                      2242-442 and
                      2242-522

The 222 is the one offered currently... do you know what the others are? Different power requirements?
                      Paul

Comment

Hey Mark, the docs list 4 models of the hub:
                        2242-222,
                        2242-422,
                        2242-442 and
                        2242-522

The 222 is the one offered currently... do you know what the others are? Different power requirements?
                        yes and yes
                        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Ok, so I currently use X10 almost exclusively. I have the 1132u and the PLM but have not yet setup any insteon.

Has anyone got one of these yet? And tested x10? My plan is to put HS in a VM and use this device for both X10 and Insteon while I switch over. Any thoughts on this? Is the PLM that much better?

Thanks.
                          -Skybolt

Comment

i did a quick test of an x10 on and off using the insteon hub and it seemed to work. But this is a new device and my plugin support is only beta right now.

The plm isn't a great x10 controller, i would keep the 1132u running as your x10 controller if you use the plm for insteon. I did this for quite a while without issue.

insteon is much better, faster and more reliable then x10.
                            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Originally posted by leerogers View Post
                              Mine is in constantly slipping backorder... hopefully, it will now ship 12/14/2012. :-/
                              Lee

The ship date just flipped to 12/17 for me....

I've worked out where to mount it and used the template in the manual. Fished a 50' ET drop cable to install it by the panel, also ordered the Insteon/X10 panel coupler and have prepped the panel for it. When the install is done, I'll move an existing access point away from the panel to a more helpful location too. Just need it to get here!!!!
                              Paul

Comment

Yeah, mine just slipped again too. :-|

Lee

The ship date just flipped to 12/17 for me....

I've worked out where to mount it and used the template in the manual. Fished a 50' ET drop cable to install it by the panel, also ordered the Insteon/X10 panel coupler and have prepped the panel for it. When the install is done, I'll move an existing access point away from the panel to a more helpful location too. Just need it to get here!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X