No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi + Squuezebox + Speaker Client for Whole House Audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which squeezebox install did you go with? Picoreplayer is super lightweight and runs in memory so is safe to turn on off.

Comment

Originally posted by heatvent View Post
      Did you edit the inf file for the usb sound card drivers when you installed them to give them unique names in windows? There is a post by rupp somewhere that explains how to do this

Btw thanks for sharing the pics. I was trying to visualize what you were doing. Basically you ended up with a virtual switch for each room that runs through a separate squeezebox.
      I just copied the speaker.exe and changed the target line from:

C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\Speaker.exe"

to
      C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\Speaker.exe" AlexisBedroom
      C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\Speaker.exe" MasterBedroom

Then just opened those instances and set them to the correct USB speaker adapter that is plugged into the USB network hub.

Then I have those speaker clients start on windows reboot automatically

Thanks
      shane

Comment

Which squeezebox install did you go with? Picoreplayer is super lightweight and runs in memory so is safe to turn on off.
        I used the directions here to install the pi

http://www.instructables.com/id/Rasp...abletPC-Contr/

Shane

Comment

Ill think about the dual room issue which seems odd. You're done with your install so I wouldn't change anything however picoreplayer is easier to setup and only a 60mb download...it creates more of an appliance out of your pi, including web-based configuration.

Comment

Ill think about the dual room issue which seems odd. You're done with your install so I wouldn't change anything however picoreplayer is easier to setup and only a 60mb download...it creates more of an appliance out of your pi, including web-based configuration.
            Thank you, if this helps when you have something that should speak in the master bedroom, it plays at a normal volume in their. When it plays in lexi bedroom (when it should not play at all) it is about half volume.

Vise versa when you have it speak in Lexi room its full volume and about half volume in the master bedroom. So far it has me beat

Comment

On your dual room issue did you try closing one of the speaker clients? See if it behaves differently. And then maybe trying the other one in the same way. Might help you determine whether it's Homeseer making a mistake or something in your setup somewhere.

Comment

Another thought would be to try hooking up the USB cards directly to the PC and maybe using some other speakers or headphones to see if you get the same issue. It kind of sounded like to me that it could be the network USB hub that might be causing the problem somehow
                Last edited by heatvent; September 21, 2014, 03:52 PM. Reason: x

Comment

Another thought would be to try hooking up the USB cards directly to the PC and maybe using some other speakers or headphones to see if you get the same issue. It kind of sounded like to me that it could be the network USB hub that might be causing the problem somehow
                  Good thought! I had to work today when i get home i will turn off one client and see if i get the pass threw still! Will report back!
                  Thanks
                  shane

Comment

If I have *any* speaker client on it feedbacks threw all the speakers :/ sad panda. Looks like its the hub. Back to the drawing board.

Comment

The SqueezeBox plugin can act as the HS speak proxy. Any reason you're not using it for speech? I do the same with the plugin and my sb players.

Cheers
                      Al
                      HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                      Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
                        The SqueezeBox plugin can act as the HS speak proxy. Any reason you're not using it for speech? I do the same with the plugin and my sb players.

Cheers
                        Al
                        I could never get it to work so I went this route.

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post

Cheers
                          Al
                          I have gotten this to work but there are some quirks. First, bit of a delay until the announcement gets there. This may be OK for something like weather but if you have say a door sensor trigger an announcement you may want it to be more immediate. Second issue I had is if I was playing something like Pandora, the stream got interrupted from the announcement but then didn't resume back from where it left off (if I remember correctly it wouldn't restart Pandora...can't recall what it did with a playlist but I am pretty sure it would restart at the beginning of the song). I think this is because there is only one stream playing from the viewpoint of LMS. Turn it off and play something else and you will have to start over when you go back. Direct speaker client is better IMHO...all else the same.

Sorry to hear the hub was the issue...really seems like an odd one. Not sure if you just got the hub, maybe Monoprice can help you out/replace it. Doesn't seem right that the sound would essentially bleed through to the other USB card. Is there any possibility to take the hub out of the equation and just plug the USB cards into the HS PC?

Comment

I have gotten this to work but there are some quirks. First, bit of a delay until the announcement gets there. This may be OK for something like weather but if you have say a door sensor trigger an announcement you may want it to be more immediate. Second issue I had is if I was playing something like Pandora, the stream got interrupted from the announcement but then didn't resume back from where it left off (if I remember correctly it wouldn't restart Pandora...can't recall what it did with a playlist but I am pretty sure it would restart at the beginning of the song). I think this is because there is only one stream playing from the viewpoint of LMS. Turn it off and play something else and you will have to start over when you go back. Direct speaker client is better IMHO...all else the same.

Sorry to hear the hub was the issue...really seems like an odd one. Not sure if you just got the hub, maybe Monoprice can help you out/replace it. Doesn't seem right that the sound would essentially bleed through to the other USB card. Is there any possibility to take the hub out of the equation and just plug the USB cards into the HS PC?
                            The PC is in my downstairs office the box with all the pi/amps is upstairs in the attic No way to get them to my pc. I guess I will go back to trying to get the squeezebox plugin to work as a speaker client. I am not doing anything fancy, simply using it as a alarm for 2 rooms that tells time and weather. I played with the plugin more today with the debug on and it makes a good .wav file on the local host. If I browse that url (sample: http://192.168.0.15/SqueezeBox/SpeakIn_5.wav) it is what should be said. So looks like the majority is working just can't figure out why it wont pass it to the pi to then be pushed to the amps then to the speakers

Comment

Did you set the speak volume of each sb/pi to something other than 0 in the plugin?

Comment

Did you set the speak volume of each sb/pi to something other than 0 in the plugin?
                                Where would you set the pi volume? I set it to 100% in shell when I originally set it up and it plays music just fine from the media server. I set the sb volume to 50% under homeseer->view->devise management

Thanks!
                                shane

Comment

Working...
                                X