Control computer and WMC7 through HS3??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Control computer and WMC7 through HS3??

Is it possible to control my HTPC and thus WMC7 through HS3?

I think Jon00 Remote Computer Control script will be able to do a lot of the base computer control commands, but what about actively controlling Window Media Center 7?

In my mind, I think serial/network control would be faster and more reliable than IR control. If I'm wrong, let me know, but if the former is possible, I'd like to explore that option.

Thanks!

This is possible. If you install the latest possible version of WMC Controller (find it trough google) on your HTPC you can control it by creating HS events that send HTTP commands to your HTPC.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

Comment

Is this what you're referring to?

https://vmccontroller.codeplex.com/

Looks promising, I'll check it out this weekend.

Comment

Did u see the old HS2 Plugin SageWMC.

Been using it for a year now but am working on transitioning to HS3 and that author has decided not to port forward.

Starting to experiment with both Plex and XBMC. Both are being supported directly in HS3.
        HSPro: 3.0.0.194
        PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
        HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

That's support for Sage, Plex, and XBMC though, not WMC, right?

Unless there has been a change, I don't WMC is still the only game in town to be able to decrypt cable card signals, right? .... makes me kinda of forced to use it. :\

Comment

I'm looking at alternatives that can use our cable tuners such as MythTV and XBMC has many add-on

Here the Homeseer WMC plugin I've been using for a year. http://store.homeseer.com/store/Sage...HS2-P1002.aspx
            PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
            HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

looks promising, have an eta on the HS3 port?

Comment

He's 100% not going to port and has not been around very much.

You could use Jon00's HS2-HS3 connector if you wanted to use the above wmc plugin.

Comment

While exploring other options as well, I was able to get the MCE Controller (https://mcec.codeplex.com/) installed and connected through putty--I can't get the software to connect to itself for some reason.

Through putty, it seems to work pretty well, I guess the problem now is getting HS3 to control it. Is there a way to send commands through putty or another method so the MCE Controller can receive the commands from event in HS3?

Comment

Originally posted by ckellyusa View Post
                    While exploring other options as well, I was able to get the MCE Controller (https://mcec.codeplex.com/) installed and connected through putty--I can't get the software to connect to itself for some reason.

Through putty, it seems to work pretty well, I guess the problem now is getting HS3 to control it. Is there a way to send commands through putty or another method so the MCE Controller can receive the commands from event in HS3?
                    yes, it is possible. what port and what commands?

pseudo script code: (there are several different objects to make tcpip port connections)

Code:
                       Dim client As New Socket(ipAdress.AddressFamily, SocketType.Stream, ProtocolType.Tcp)
                        Try
                        client.Connect(ipEndpoint)
                         Dim sendmsg As Byte() = Encoding.ASCII.GetBytes("This is from Client" & vbLf)
                         Dim n As Integer = client.Send(sendmsg)
                         Dim m As Integer = client.Receive(data)
                         client.Shutdown(SocketShutdown.Both)
                         client.Close()
                       Catch e As Exception
                        dim error as string = e.ToString()
                        End Try

Comment

If you use the HTTP release of wmc controller (https://vmccontroller.codeplex.com/r...ateReview=true) you can control meidacenter by HTTP commands. You can create Homeseer events that directly do HTTP Posts and Gets to control Mediacenter.
                      This the exact software that was used by the Homeseer WMC Plugin by Sage.
                      The only difference is that you have to come up with the HTTP command yourself and cannot use a plugin for it since it is not ported over to HS3.
                      I used to control my Win7 based Mediacenter PC's this way until I changed over to XBMC.

Comment

Originally posted by UltimateInternet View Post
                        yes, it is possible. what port and what commands?

pseudo script code: (there are several different objects to make tcpip port connections)

Code:
                           Dim client As New Socket(ipAdress.AddressFamily, SocketType.Stream, ProtocolType.Tcp)
                            Try
                            client.Connect(ipEndpoint)
                             Dim sendmsg As Byte() = Encoding.ASCII.GetBytes("This is from Client" & vbLf)
                             Dim n As Integer = client.Send(sendmsg)
                             Dim m As Integer = client.Receive(data)
                             client.Shutdown(SocketShutdown.Both)
                             client.Close()
                           Catch e As Exception
                            dim error as string = e.ToString()
                            End Try
                        I haven't learned how to use scripts yet.

Current IP and Port would be 192.168.1.98:5150
                        A command to start with could be mcestart (start wmc)

Quick tutorial on how to use a script for this purpose please!!

Originally posted by martinisoft View Post
                        If you use the HTTP release of wmc controller (https://vmccontroller.codeplex.com/r...ateReview=true) you can control meidacenter by HTTP commands. You can create Homeseer events that directly do HTTP Posts and Gets to control Mediacenter.
                        This the exact software that was used by the Homeseer WMC Plugin by Sage.
                        The only difference is that you have to come up with the HTTP command yourself and cannot use a plugin for it since it is not ported over to HS3.
                        I used to control my Win7 based Mediacenter PC's this way until I changed over to XBMC.
                        I couldn't get the VMC Controller to install on my Windows7 64bit HTPC. Either installation errors with the latest version or the older versions wouldn't ever start.

Comment

Working...
                        X