Russound CAM6.6x antenna connector broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Russound CAM6.6x antenna connector broken

I have my CAM6.6x on my desk for testing and managed to break the center conductor on the XM antenna connector. (rant: who ever decided to put a mini SMB connector on this thing anyway?)

I haven't pulled the unit apart yet to see if I can remove the mini SMB jack and install a new one. Has anyone else had this trouble? If I have to buy a new XM receiver card, anyone know where I can get one?
    HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
    Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
    Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
    Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Personally I would repair the mini SMB jack. If the module is soldered directly to the mini SMB, remove it and have a good look at it. It should be a plug n play to solder a new connector.

While not directly related to your issue I have been playing some with various style mini SMB connectors and various antennas lately.

I needed more that one and found them on ebay for literally pennies.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      Personally I would repair the mini SMB jack. If the module is soldered directly to the mini SMB, remove it and have a good look at it. It should be a plug n play to solder a new connector.

While not directly related to your issue I have been playing some with various style mini SMB connectors and various antennas lately.

I needed more that one and found them on ebay for literally pennies.
      Pete, I am going to take your advice on this one. Russound wants $200 to replace the XM module! I didn't pay much more than that for the entire unit.

I pulled the XM card out and it's a simple soldered on SMB male connector. I ordered a couple from Digi Key that look much better constructed. The Russound connector has a cheap vinyl tip on it and the cable flexed a lot, which probably weakened the conductor. The Digi Key version is all metal.
      Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
      Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
      Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

I like the mini SMB connectors with threading on them and use those today for a bunch of stuff. The little Fakra SMB connectors on my 12 year old automobile still function like new as my GPS, satellite, regular radio, TV stuff still works fine in the car. I kept the same little fakra SMB connectors for the telephone stuff while updating from CDMA to GSM in the car.

Here have satellite radio in the automobiles (don't really listen to it much these days though). I quit listening to it at home mostly because of the commercials.

That said it is understood what you are saying about the Russound connector. You can actually call it a design flaw of sorts or no little foresight when developing and manufacturing the "box".

Personally much of the electronics these days are "use once" then throw it away rather than it being built to last more than a few years.

Your are extending the life of your Russound XM card installing a "better" connector and doing it at a reasonable cost. Most folks today do not fix electronic stuff or even use a soldering iron. They just either pay to fix it or replace a board or throw it out.

My take on it is that the Russound stuff that I have sitting on a rack many years ago is functioning fine and built well (relative to other stuff that I see selling today). I never really touch it much these days or even bother to look at the LED illumination per zones and such. Personally that is a good thing for me.

That said my old Nakamichi Dragon even though its never used anymore these days; still functions like it was new. I'll guess that if I still had my old Thorens or Technics "record player" it too would probably still function well. I have still a pair of Jensen stereo speakers from about 1958; more looking furniture like and really too big to put anywhere in the house these days; so just stored. I did though give up my Altec Lansing Stonehedge speakers a few years back; they functioned just fine when I did get rid of them (a bit large and used a 15" speaker done up in their "Voice of the theator" design.

Off on a tangent....

Its an age thing though...if we moved back right now to the 60's and were of the same age; then the issues would be relating to something or device built in the 40's and still working better today than those little transistor radios that they were selling in the middle 1960's or looking at the Sony "transistor" TV or Transoceanic transistor radio and saying how well built it was.....

Attached the picture of my satellite NOAA stuff. Basically have a satellite card (a bit more than just a radio though) in my office PC such that I always utilized RG-6 connections along the network connections next to my desk. I did test with another RG6 patched run from my office down to basement and back up to the attic for the NOAA weather satellite antenna.

Playing with the little connector though it did "fly out" of my hands landing somewhere in my office and took me some 20 minutes to find where it landed.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Pete; September 27, 2013, 08:26 AM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Darn it! I got my new connectors from Digi Key and they look great - sturdy and look to be a perfect fit. Got the soldering station and desoldering braid out and... well the solder on the board won't melt. I've never had this happen before. Some kind of super solder I guess.I'm pretty sure my iron goes up to 30W, but it's a cheap and unlabeled thing. Somewhere I have an iron that I know is 30W that I'll try to track down...

Comment

Put some solder flux on the board and see if that works. 30W should really work. Clean the tip (tin it such that it is shiny). You can (not recommended) touch the end of the of the solder gun to the flux and then clean it some with the metal sponge or a cloth. The soldering station typically comes with a stand and a metal sponge to clean the tip of the solder device.
            Last edited by Pete; September 29, 2013, 07:35 AM.
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Tried the other "known" 30W iron and it didn't work either. I don't have any flux so I can't try that. I did notice that the connector itself is acting as a heat sink (it's solid metal) so that's likely why I can't get the connections hot enough. I ordered a 100W soldering gun (hey, a guy always needs more tools, right?) so we'll see how that works in a few days.

Comment

This is my first hands-on experience with mini-SMB connectors, other than seeing them used internally in GPS and radio devices. I have to say I really can't understand how anyone would use this connector externally. It's just too delicate.

What's really got me worried is that I just sold a $75,000 piece of telecom equipment (as part of a larger project) that uses mini SMB connectors. Are these things really safe to put in a rack? Is it going to come loose the first time some IT guy goes fumbling through the cables in the rack?

Comment

Most of the time you will never move it; but then again if you do its very delicate. This is where the added "fakra" clasp helps or just simply a small miniature screw on SMB works. Here mostly have converted thick RF cables to "thin" RF cables from the wall to the whatever. Nicer footprint, thin very flexible cable (expensive though).

My original GPS antenna (now 10 years ago) here took the thinner antenna lead (powered) on the roof to an RG-6 cable into the home then converted it back to an SMB connector on the my first Trimble "industrial" dual radio GPS. I custom made the cable such that I wouldn't break off the mini-SMB. I also used a standard powered (by the Trimble in line amplifier (DBS style - very cheap)).

The old Trimble GPS was military surplus utilized in tanks and jeeps; I could roll over it with my automobile and not really damage it. I was impressed with its construction considering the size and age of it. You could also change the OS firmware and what it did with a bit of tweaking. The little SMB connector on the Trimble GPS was literally non breakable / indestructible.

I did the same for work except I utilized an old microwave antenna cable that went probably some 500 feet or more from the roof of a building, down 4 floors, into an underground server room some 50-100 feet underground; worked great as the sweet spot was easy considering the view of all of the GPS satellites from the roof.

The airport "airplane" flight vectoring systems using GPS also were made in a similiar fashion virtually indestructible - oddly much chrome built into it; (decorative?) (built and looked like a 1955 cadillac and more expensive than the antique cadillac in good shape). So important in function that it had its own designated comm closet (more of a large room than a closet). Geez most folks just thought of it as a fancy very old computer with a bunch of chrome on it...

All this though was done only for Time Sync and not really using the rest of the GPS satellite stuff.
                  Last edited by Pete; October 1, 2013, 09:46 AM.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Well this is more than frustrating. I got my 100W bigass soldering iron yesterday, and even some flux which I applied to the solder joints. After holding the iron to the joint for several minutes I finally managed to *change its shape* slightly. No, didn't melt, and the only thing on my desolder braid was flux. I also tried adding a little extra solder after seeing some other forums that said that might help. It just pooled around the connections. What next? Only other suggestion I've seen is to use side cutters to cut the mini SMB connector off the board, then desolder. I'm afraid if I try that I'll rip up the solder pads and maybe a couple of surface mount parts that are close to the connector.

Comment

Earlier in the year I was actually playing with a mini pcie connector and accessory pieces which had been soldered on to the Joggler 3 motherboard.

I had a similiar issue to what you mentioned above. I did cut out most of the connector and then desoldered it very slowly not to lift up or off the pads and it did work for me.

I did also purchase new tiny tips for my soldering station. I also have a large circular lamp these days on my workbench and it has a very large magnifying glass in the center which I have been using a lot lately. It is though difficult to adjust my hands to working under a magnifying glass for soldering these days; but easy to do.

Go really slow; what does it matter if you damage the mini SMB connector; its trash now isn't it?

If you cannot fix it; send me the xm module board and I will remove the old connector and solder on the new one for you.
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Thanks, Pete. I'll give it another shot, probably this weekend. I appreciate the offer of assistance. Hopefully I won't need it.

Comment

Working...
                        X