Vitamin D video surveillance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by webrod View Post
    keep in mind this software is unique, and cannot even compare with other, as they have really re-invented the concept of motion.
    I mean, this software does its job perfectly.
    Absolutely no wrong motion.
    While that's not entirely true, it's mostly true. I occasionally get a false alarm from one of my cats, even though I have the pixel threshold set to minimum.

Comment

well I just tried vit d after reading about it here, and I have to say that's pretty amazing for essentially no setup at all. You basically put in your camera's infomation, and say "go", that's it.

Unfortunately I have a ton of cameras so I'm only using it on one right now so that I can stay on the free version but I might upgrade later.

I would like to try ispy but this program was able to be running less than 5 minutes after downloading. and doing it's job. I haven't setup any scripts yet but detecting humans it does very well.

Comment

Yes, just be aware that as you add more cameras the processor requirements go up exponentially. Basically, you can run two cameras per processor core. I have fairly fast i5 (quad core) with 8 MB of RAM, so I should be able to run eight cameras.

Currently I have 2 running, with plans to add three more. And if I can find the video path URL for my two Alarm.com cameras, I'd also like to add those. So that's potentially seven total, which doesn't leave much room for browsing and email.

Comment

Originally posted by wodin View Post
          Yes, just be aware that as you add more cameras the processor requirements go up exponentially. Basically, you can run two cameras per processor core. I have fairly fast i5 (quad core) with 8 MB of RAM, so I should be able to run eight cameras.

Currently I have 2 running, with plans to add three more. And if I can find the video path URL for my two Alarm.com cameras, I'd also like to add those. So that's potentially seven total, which doesn't leave much room for browsing and email.
          currently i'm running it on a q6600 chip quad cord, so hopefully I can run a few on that. I already have a dvr to store all of the video and I'm recording onto 8TB for that, but the dvr turns each analog channel into a rtsp feed and I feed that back into vitd. It really works quite well.

Currently with one feed it doesn't do much at all, but if I increased the resolution I imagine that would be really increase the cpu requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by wodin View Post
            While that's not entirely true, it's mostly true. I occasionally get a false alarm from one of my cats, even though I have the pixel threshold set to minimum.

That being said, I only get one or two a week, and I can live with that; and your absolutely right, no other software at any price can differentiate “human motion” as well as this one. I just wish it had a couple of more features, like a web interface and time/date stamping of the videos.
            which rule do you use?
            did you try a very short test
            Create all the combination of possible rules, and test with a specific days in the past where you have wrong detection, until the wrong detection are removed
            Play with duration or pixel size when available
            If you find one, then of course try to move front of the camera to be sure it works

Wrong detection, even if one per week is annoying
            I did the steps above, and have no one now
            The best rules that worked fine with me:
            1) "People inside my region in camera_name"
            ignore objects smaller than 40px
            include objects visible longer than 1 seco
            2) "Any object in camera_name"
            same as above for the other settings

The other settings bring few wrong detections per week, but it is a bit challenging, because the camera is front of trees, trees everywhere.

It's also important to define an area when possible.
            For instance, maybe you can exclude the bottom of the area, where the cat is walking. An human will still trigger the motion, as he is taller.

BTW, you said: "even though I have the pixel threshold set to minimum."
            The idea is to set this to the maximum, not the minimum.
            With the minimum you increase wrong alerts with cats, as it will detect small things.
            With maximum pixels it will ignore the cats.
            Sometimes it's not possible to set the maximum, if the cat can walk very close to the camera, but it's unlikely

rod

Comment

Originally posted by guy999 View Post
              currently i'm running it on a q6600 chip quad cord, so hopefully I can run a few on that. I already have a dvr to store all of the video and I'm recording onto 8TB for that, but the dvr turns each analog channel into a rtsp feed and I feed that back into vitd. It really works quite well.

Currently with one feed it doesn't do much at all, but if I increased the resolution I imagine that would be really increase the cpu requirements.
              I've got the same chipset w/3gb ram, running w7 32 bit. it also runs HS, WMC, JRMC, FTP server, and probably a few other things i'm forgetting about. I have it configured w/5 cameras, and it hasn't shown any performance problems yet.
              Plugins:
              BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

I initially set up the video to save at the max. resolution. That takes up a lot of space, though (and probably processing power?). I realized that my cameras are all 640x480. Is there any benefit in video quality if I ask vitD to save it higher than that?

Also, has anyone tried the beta of vitD that apparently supports audio? if so, what are your results?

Thanks,

Ian
                Plugins:
                BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

i saw the beta, but didn't download.

anyways I really need to do more than 2 cameras so i'm considering getting ispy just because the cost differential is so substantial.

I like vitamin d and use it on my front door camera daily but the cost to go up to more than 2 cameras is crazy expensive.

I already have a dvr that records 24/7 so i just do this so that i don't have to review video and it's coolness factor but that's not worth 200 dollars for me. It may be later but i'm seriously considering ispy.

has anyone gotten ispy to do the same amount of motion checking as vitamin d?

Comment

well i got a pro version for birthday this year, so I guess i'm going this route. I need to go ahead and get it setup for all the cameras now.

guess i don't need to figure out ispy

Comment

So did anyone here get Vitamin D to go into a monitor mode via homeseer? i.e when you arm your security system it begins monitoring via Vitamin D and of course all scripts are active...

I saw Vitamin launch and was excited back then. It's still so impressive. Glad to see you're all getting use out of it.

Edit: Scrap that webrod posted it on page 3 of this thread.

Webrod - thanks for your insight on this thread - massive help.
                      Last edited by dj_siek; July 12, 2012, 10:49 PM.

Comment

I have been following this thread thinking about changing my camera setup to Vitamin D. Sent the following email to them and thought the responce might be interesting to the gang on the board.

Chris

Hi Chris, We had to close down most of our operations in late 2010 due to a lack of funding. A few of us are still supporting and maintaining Vitamin D Video. We are doing some minor development (adding camera settings, doing minor feature upgrades, etc.) but we aren't working on any big new features (since we all had to *get* other day jobs). We will be fixing bugs and making sure the app works on new OS upgrades. So you should evaluate our app with this in mind - if you like it "as is" you should go with it, if not, go with something else. I hope this helps,thanks for your interest, Celeste
                        On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 10:41 AM, Delong, Chris wrote:

Gents,

Before I get further down the path of investigation, can you comment?

Thank you,

D. Chris DeLong | Director IT Services | Safelite Group |

Comment

Does anyone know if this works better with the Foscam 'light flickering' problem.
                          I'm using Blue Iris but still can't get around these false triggers.
                          Tks
                          HS4Pro Win10 | Fire Tablet touchscreen client, Android Phones and Tablets | Jon00 | Smartthings | Philips Hue | Trane | Caseta | Nanoleaf | Ring | August | Evolve | Aladdin | Amazon Alexa/IFTT

Comment

I haven't used Blue Iris, but VDV has lots of false triggers if the light is fluctuating, especially if the light is filtered through leaves that are moving in the wind.
                            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Yeah same here. I was hoping for a better solution...tks
                              HS4Pro Win10 | Fire Tablet touchscreen client, Android Phones and Tablets | Jon00 | Smartthings | Philips Hue | Trane | Caseta | Nanoleaf | Ring | August | Evolve | Aladdin | Amazon Alexa/IFTT

Comment

vit d also always triggers when my cameras switch from night to day mode. all of my cameras have led's, so it's annoying twice a day also the one over the pool sees the light hitting the pool and thinks it's a person.

Comment

Working...
                                X