Netflix on HughesNet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netflix on HughesNet

My wife wants to be able to watch Netflix on our non-internet enabled TV. I have two questions that I would like some input on.

Does this work with a Satellite ISP like Hughes?

What sort of device would be best to hook up to the TV? I have CAT5 at the TV and the TV has a HMDI connection.

Thanks for the imput.
    Don

Originally posted by donstephens View Post
    My wife wants to be able to watch Netflix on our non-internet enabled TV. I have two questions that I would like some input on.

What sort of device would be best to hook up to the TV? I have CAT5 at the TV and the TV has a HMDI connection.

Thanks for the imput.
    I don't know if that's the type of answer you're looking for (I know nothing about Hughes and satellite ISPs...), but you could always buy a Netflix / WiFi enabled DVD player and hook it to your TV.

That's how I used to access Netflix on my old TV prior to moving to a combination TV / PC monitor.

Comment

Thanks; That's part of the equation. I suppose the biggest part is will it work with a Satellite provider like Hughes? We also have Dish, and that isn't a problem.
      Don

Comment

No problem.

Also, if you decide to go that way (ie buying a Netflix enabled DVD player), shop around because all Netflix interfaces aren't created equal...

Mine is a Panasonic and it worked fine, but it was kinda slow and it was not because of the internet speed. I had to go through a number of screens and wait quite a bit before getting to the Netflix movie selection page when powering up the DVD player : so much so that I ended up leaving it on all the time to avoid the wait...

Comment

Originally posted by donstephens View Post

Thanks for the imput.
          We have a DVD player with wifi/Netflix.
          We have a BD player with wifi/CAT5 Netflix
          Then we got an apple tv.

Now the only way we use Netflix for streaming is on the apple tv.

There were a few bonus' since we had iphones, ipad, and a couple mac's around the house, and most of the home music is (sadly) loaded into iTunes, so we could play music via apple tv.

I am not saying it's the best option since we did not get apple tv for Netflix. What I am saying is that once we saw Netflix on the apple tv, we no longer stream via dvd/bluray players.

If you have a home audio-video receiver then you can connect all your hdmi devices into that AVR, with only one hdmi cable to the tv. That's simpler if you have a programmable remote control with the AVR (I use harmony remote).

Please post whatever you decide as well as what level of happiness it provides with WAF.

Apple TV Netflix streaming gives very High WAF at home for me.
          Last edited by huggy_d1; November 5, 2013, 09:09 PM. Reason: typo
          huggy_d1

Automating made easy

Comment

I have a Roku 2 XS. I love it and works very weel, you can also add additional channels to it as well. It would do everything that you are looking for an more.
            Check Newegg, they often have several sales on new and refurb models

Comment

The things that have issues are the things that talk back and forth rapidly like online video games. Things that continuously stream usually don't have an issue.

~Bill

Comment

Thanks All:

Will let you know how it goes.
                Don

Comment

Here I am using a variety of network video streaming services with my "PlayOnTV" box running on a Wintel server.

It includes a virtual "cloud" based DVR for recording stuff.

http://www.playon.tv/

http://tversity.com/

Such that the TV stuff comes from XBMC next to the TVs.

http://xbmc.org/about/

1 - whatever is on the NAS boxes (pictures, movies and music)
                  2 - online video, music, et al services / plugins for XBMC (almost limitless these days)
                  3 - whatever stuff is on the PlayOnTV/TVersity box
                  4 - whatever is on the MythTV box (which has OTA / Cable and Satellite tuners on it).

Tivo's are off today having been made to switch over to the DirectTV DVRs a couple of years ago.

You can run XBMC on Wintel, Android, MAC and Linux these days. The PlayOnTV box had a one time paid for license from a couple of years ago. Everything else which is a paid for service is separate. The XBMC boxes do chatter much on the internet and could ding any of the caps you have on the Hughes network stuff though. I do though shut my XBMC boxes when they are not utilized and they do sync the new stuff within a minute or two.

Here using Aopen Digital Engines for XBMC boxes. They do well with streaming HD and have a tiny footprint and play any kind of media.
                  Last edited by Pete; November 11, 2013, 04:03 PM.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Ended up with a Roku. Like it. Downloaded a couple of TED talks, and looks OK. Doesn't slash my D/L cap too badly. Very easy to setup.

Haven't used it for much yet, as it is a present for my wife, but will let you know how it goes once I have some time with it.

Pete:

Put your stuff in mail today, probably be at your place Thursday or Friday.
                    Don

Comment

Good news Don!
                      - Pete

Auto mator
                      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                      X