ZMC v3 Whole house audio system on the cheap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZMC v3 Whole house audio system on the cheap

I've setup a whole house audio system that can do alot for a very low cost.

I managed to the following with just one XAP800 unit
    - I have audio in 9 rooms, including the garden.
    - Automatic volume control depending on the situation
    - Announcements in any or all the rooms without disturbing the music in others.
    - Killing those annoying commercials that sound louder then the normal music.
    - Four rooms are equipped with microphones for VR control.
    - Only VR communications to the room where the question is asked.
    - VR control of the whole HA system
    - Baby phone functionality with any number of rooms equipped with a microphone.
    - Intercom functionality with any number of rooms.
    - Security monitoring due the use of microphones.
    - Answering the phone through the audio system and making phone calls through out the house.
    - Switching in other room(s) into the phone call.
    - High WAF. (this is the best reason)

HS3 Version
    - Can control up to 8 units (96 outputs or 64 when using XAP400 units)
    - Script finished. See it's own thread.

To share my findings with the community i've create a few articles that describe the whole process of setting this up and how to deal with issues.

The following is available for reading on my blog at http://www.zoelen.net/ZMC.htm
    Part 1 - The basics
    Part 2 - Setting things up
    Part 3 - Buttons, events en script
    Part 4 - Announcements

Part 1 - VR system
    Part 2 - VR setup

[edit : 27 July 2015]
    HS3 version finished
    Last edited by AshaiRey; September 26, 2015, 01:00 PM. Reason: status update
    - Bram

Send from my Commodore VIC-20

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
    HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
    PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | BLBackup | FritzBox | Z-Wave | mcsMQTT | AK Ikea

Very cool, and an excellent blog on your work!!
    Best regards,
    -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
    Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

This looks decent
      Anything special to look for in a XAP800? Revision/Firmware
      Have you tested this with HS3?

Comment

Originally posted by bernieb View Post
        This looks decent
        Anything special to look for in a XAP800? Revision/Firmware
        Have you tested this with HS3?
        The GWare software has the latest firmware include so you can upgrade any unit to the latest version afaik.

I haven't test this on HS3 but i think it need a rewrite to get it working as is. I have no interest in moving to HS3 so i am not planning additional time for it.
        - Bram

Ashai_Rey____________________________________________________________ ________________
        HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534
        PIugins: ZMC audio | ZMC VR | ZMC IR | ZMC NDS | RFXcom | AZ scripts | Jon00 Scripts | BLBackup | FritzBox | Z-Wave | mcsMQTT | AK Ikea

Comment

The last part about doing announcements and how to set this up is now online here http://www.zoelen.net/ZMCpart4.htm
          - Bram

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534

Comment

I've added the two last articles about doing VR with the ZMC v3 setup
            http://www.zoelen.net/ZMCVRpart1.htm
            and
            http://www.zoelen.net/ZMCVRpart2.htm
            - Bram

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534

Comment

XAP800 ordered. For $19, why not at least give it a whirl?

Comment

Where did you find one for $19?

Terry

Originally posted by askme View Post
                XAP800 ordered. For $19, why not at least give it a whirl?

Comment

Got Two XAP800's for $29 w/shipping on ebay.

Following your instruction I have sound coming out of the outputs while using the Matrix to manually switch them. Way cool so far.

Got some questions about HS Devices and am not sure how they work with the .VB file.

Questions;
                  1) On several devices below, you have a different Device code such as "W" and "D5". Why do these device have a different code and can I just assign all my devices the same "Z" code?

Also, you list out Z71, Z81, Z91 for the room "Keuken" (Kitchen). So do other rooms such "Badkamer" (Bathroom) get assigned a house code "Z" and then add a digit such as this -> "Badkamer" (Bathroom) Z72, Z82, Z92???

VR_STATE_DEVICE="W70"
                  TELCO_STATUS_DEVICE="Z49"
                  GATE_STATUS_DEVICE="Z59"
                  LAST_VR_CMD_DEVICE="Z60"
                  MIGRAINE_STATE_DEVICE="D5"
                  STATIONNAME_DEVICE="Z68"

2) HS Device creation. These are all "Virtual Device" under the device creation tab, correct? **** Understood as noted in the edit comments below****

Again, this is amazing and thanks to all your documentation its going in fast.

EDIT:

Nevermind, the question above about the device type. I found the answer in a couple paragraph later in your writeup.
                  Last edited by CharlieWayne; November 16, 2014, 12:32 AM.
                  HSPro: 3.0.0.194
                  PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
                  HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

Just a little info I have sent a request to Blade about building a HS3 plugin for the AP800 you guys might want to put in your 2 cents on his site about functionality if he decides to build it I am looking at using it for just zones audio but I know some of you are using it for VR as well it would be nice to have a complete plug in for this

Cheers Ken
                    HSPRO,HS3PRO, BLsecurity, , MCSxap, HSTouch Android, UltraGCIR, CM15a, USBUIRT, BLUSBUIRT, WIFIRGB, BLAB8SS, BLcontrol, BLGData, BLLAN,BLOccupied, BLRadar, BLVolume, iTunesDAAP, UltraGCIR3, Airplayspeak, BLalarm, BLbackup, BLLED, BLrandom, BLReminders, BLRF, BL Speech, Hyperion, IFTTT, KINECT, XBMC, MCSprinkers PRO, PHLocation, ULtrapioneer, Ultralog, ultraweatherbug, Z,troller, GC-100, GC WIFICC, GC-WIFI SERIAL, Nitrogen logic depth camera controllers,

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieWayne View Post
                      Questions;
                      1) On several devices below, you have a different Device code such as "W" and "D5". Why do these device have a different code and can I just assign all my devices the same "Z" code?

VR_STATE_DEVICE="W70"
                      TELCO_STATUS_DEVICE="Z49"
                      GATE_STATUS_DEVICE="Z59"
                      LAST_VR_CMD_DEVICE="Z60"
                      MIGRAINE_STATE_DEVICE="D5"
                      STATIONNAME_DEVICE="Z68"
                      Although you found the answer already i will put it here also for the record.
                      These 6 devices are just regular devices on the HS system and they could have any house/device code. The devices are for state tracking and can be used for events and/or conditions in events and to display state on HST

VR_STATE_DEVICE = Tells that there is VR going on at the moment

TELCO_STATUS_DEVICE = I have also a Telecom box of the same brand (TH2) connected to my system. This device tracks if there is a phone call going on or not.

GATE_STATUS_DEVICE = If you use the gating capabilities of the (X)AP800 then this device holds the gate number that is active

LAST_VR_CMD_DEVICE = Displays the string with the last VR command, Mainly in place for HST

MIGRAINE_STATE_DEVICE = On/OFF if this device is on then audio switching won't occure. As the name implies it's mainly in place to lessen the burden for the one that suffers a migrain attack

STATIONNAME_DEVICE = This hold the string of the currently selected radio station. I added this so it is easier to show this info on HST dispays

Originally posted by CharlieWayne View Post
                      Also, you list out Z71, Z81, Z91 for the room "Keuken" (Kitchen). So do other rooms such "Badkamer" (Bathroom) get assigned a house code "Z" and then add a digit such as this -> "Badkamer" (Bathroom) Z72, Z82, Z92???
                      Yes, that's correct
                      The config files tells this

; The following devices must ALL have the same device letter
                      FIRST_VOLUME_DEVICE="Z71"
                      FIRST_RADIO_SPEECH_DEVICE="Z81"
                      FIRST_MUTE_DEVICE="Z91"

In this setup you can have defined up to 10 rooms
                      All the volume devices will have a code Z7x
                      Device that tells you the state (radio or speech) starts at Z8x
                      And muting the device (and state) starts at Z91 and up
                      So if you have more rooms then make sure that the spacing between the devices are enough. For example if you use as fist room the kitchen then the devices Z71, Z81 and Z91 are all about the kitchen
                      Z71 tells you the current volume in the kitchen
                      Z81 Gives info of the channel is on speech or Audio (mainly in place for HST)
                      Z91 Tells you if the audio is muted in the kitchen and you can toggle mute with it.
                      - Bram

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534

Comment

Originally posted by kenrad View Post
                        Just a little info I have sent a request to Blade about building a HS3 plugin for the AP800 you guys might want to put in your 2 cents on his site about functionality if he decides to build it I am looking at using it for just zones audio but I know some of you are using it for VR as well it would be nice to have a complete plug in for this

Cheers Ken
                        Better ask for a plug in for the XAP800 because 'the AP800 is rather old (older then the XAP800) and the XAP800 is better suited for audio distribution too. The channels going up to 20Khz where the AP800 don't
                        A plugin would be nice but the task of setting up your system (via a setup page) would be rather daunting to make. Having said that converting this script from HS2 to a scripting form that HS3 understands is also a lot of work. And to get the expectations right, don't expect a faster response time due to the fact it's a plugin because at the end it's just serial communication.

My script can be used for just whole house audio, no need to do the VR part
                        - Bram

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534

Comment

Originally posted by AshaiRey View Post
                          Although you found the answer already i will put it here also for the record.
                          These 6 devices are just regular devices on the HS system and they could have any house/device code. The devices are for state tracking and can be used for events and/or conditions in events and to display state on HST

VR_STATE_DEVICE = Tells that there is VR going on at the moment

TELCO_STATUS_DEVICE = I have also a Telecom box of the same brand (TH2) connected to my system. This device tracks if there is a phone call going on or not.

GATE_STATUS_DEVICE = If you use the gating capabilities of the (X)AP800 then this device holds the gate number that is active

LAST_VR_CMD_DEVICE = Displays the string with the last VR command, Mainly in place for HST

MIGRAINE_STATE_DEVICE = On/OFF if this device is on then audio switching won't occure. As the name implies it's mainly in place to lessen the burden for the one that suffers a migrain attack

STATIONNAME_DEVICE = This hold the string of the currently selected radio station. I added this so it is easier to show this info on HST dispays

Yes, that's correct
                          The config files tells this

; The following devices must ALL have the same device letter
                          FIRST_VOLUME_DEVICE="Z71"
                          FIRST_RADIO_SPEECH_DEVICE="Z81"
                          FIRST_MUTE_DEVICE="Z91"

In this setup you can have defined up to 10 rooms
                          All the volume devices will have a code Z7x
                          Device that tells you the state (radio or speech) starts at Z8x
                          And muting the device (and state) starts at Z91 and up
                          So if you have more rooms then make sure that the spacing between the devices are enough. For example if you use as fist room the kitchen then the devices Z71, Z81 and Z91 are all about the kitchen
                          Z71 tells you the current volume in the kitchen
                          Z81 Gives info of the channel is on speech or Audio (mainly in place for HST)
                          Z91 Tells you if the audio is muted in the kitchen and you can toggle mute with it.
                          Got it, so with that house code assignment above, there is a potential of 10 rooms. What is we want to go with more rooms such as 20 rooms? Could we change the assignments to something such as below?
                          Volume-Z40 thru Z59
                          Speech - Z60 thru Z79
                          Mute - Z80 thru Z99

Why I ask the above is cause I'm not sure how these device work in conjunction with the scrip. (I.E. the script is polling for a specific group assignment).
                          HSPro: 3.0.0.194
                          PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
                          HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

The XAP800 unit has 12 outputs. So if you need more then you need a second unit for the next 12 outputs. The script as it is now can't deal with additional units.

What the script does it takes the device that you define as first volume say Z71. It will strip of the letter and substract one from the number. So the volume offset value is 70. The same is done for radio/speech state and mute

All the rooms are already loaded in an array.

If you turn on the music in the bathroom then this room will be looked up in the array. For example it is found as the 4th room.

This room correspond with de device code Z<device offset + roomno)

This is output 4 on the unit and a serial command is constructed and send to the unit.

An event is made to turn the audio channel later off again.

And lastly the device is updated.
                            - Bram

HS3 Pro 3.0.0.534

Comment

Hey Bram,

Hats off to you for the great implementation and for sharing it with the community in such a comprehensive write up!

Just want to ask you follow up questions...

-How is the system going?
                              - Overtime, do you use the system more or less?
                              - Are there any other problems or issues that crop up after all this time?
                              - What sort of commands/queries get used the most?
                              - What sort of commands did you not expect to use a lot, but turns out you do?

Cheers
                              HW: HS3 w/ Win8.1 on ASRock C2550d4i. Digi AnywhereUSB, Hubport, Edgeport, UZB, Z-trollers, PLCBUS, SONOS, GC-100, iTach IP2SL, WF2IR, IP2IR, RFXtrx433, Harmony Hubs, Hue, Ademco Vista 128BP, NetAtmo, NetAtmo Welcome

Google Search for HomeSeer Forum

Comment

Working...
                              X