Unexpectedly excellent antenna setup with RFXCOM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unexpectedly excellent antenna setup with RFXCOM

I'd been having dropouts from a couple distant sensors, namely a DS10a in the shed out back and the Oregon Scientific rain gauge even further out.

I remembered I had an antenna amp tucked away that I used long ago for HDTV or something. Whipped out the OnQ VM7640, got a T-adapter for the back of the RFXCOM, and grabbed my Leaf antenna that was intended for ditching DirecTV for Roku+OTA HDTV (yeah, that'll never happen in this house)....hooked it up, and all my troubles are gone!

Leaf > Amp > T-split > both RFXCOM ports on my old Rx-only USB unit.

I had the Leaf vertical, facing the furthest sensors. Thought it was good for a day, then still had some dropout. Decided what the heck, I'll flip it horizontal. Works even better!! Zero dropouts for 12 hours so far... The beauty of the Leaf is it's profile - can be wall or ceiling mounted flat. It's about as thick as 4 sheets of paper, and one side is flat black, the other flat white.

Will report back after a day or two... HS hasn't ever ruled my house because of reliability with stuff like this (and to be fair it's a large amount of sq footage to cover without some extra RF help) and lack of a great interface anyone can pick up and use/ find useful. Between this improvement and my recent purchase of Pro/HST, I'm uber excited to jack up the WAF and really make HS shine in this household!

(and disclaimer, yes those are affil. links, in case my trial & error helps you, Amazon might throw a couple pennies my way)
Working...
X