Video surveillance software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pete View Post
    Relating to the use of video motion algorithms to detect motion; it will work better on an interior cam than exterior. Today I am using it and it is connected to hardware such that it triggers x10 when there is motion detected. The built in to new cameras motion detection is OK but not nearly as good as something running on a computer and something running on a computer today is still only OK.

That said though I use other outdoor motion sensors such that the combination of all of these is what triggers motion. You can do wireless outdoor sensors. My preference is hardwired sensors. I did just recently purchased another outdoor sensor to play with some. It is as large as the combo Optex outdoor combo PIR cameras I utilize today.

In a short recap best triggers with less false positives though for outdoor CCTV recording is a combination event triggered by more than one sensor; whatever it is that you decide to utilize.
    I bought BlueIris and hate it. The UI is dreadful, the iOS app is horrible, It may have some good features but one of the worst UI's I have ever experienced. Throw in the fact that not even the last gen of Foscams have proper support. I'm looking elsewhere. Download virtual appliance with ZM pre-installed and will give that a try.

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
    HSTouch - iPhone 3GS, 4S, iPad2 and iPad 3, 3xKindle Fire (Wall mounted)
    2 x Brultech ECM1240 with UltraECM
    USB UIRT
    Cooper Aspire Z-Wave Switches
    WGL800 w ACRF2 and 3xDS10a (Sump Level/Activity sensing)
    HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
    HSM100 - Motion Detector with Light and Temperature
    2GIG Thermostat
    BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
    BLUPS
    UltraLog (SQL2008)
    Jon00 Plugins
    Host XR3 BT and Jon00 BT Proximity
    Global Cache IP2IR
    Foscam FI8918W

Comment

I can't speak to the IOS part but what Foscams were you having problems with? I found that all my previous Foscams worked fine. I had Fi8904, Fi8905, Fi8918 etc. It does take a while to get all the camera settings just right.

I have BI running as a service usually so I don't really deal much with the UI. The clips are saved on the network so I can review them from any PC if there's something I'm looking for. Big issue I had was the old PC bogging down bad with the increasing number of HD cams. The newest PC I built handles it fine though.

I also use the HTM commands heavily with HSTouch which I like as it takes the workload away from HSTouch when displaying live feeds.

In this particular setup I'm happy with it. I've always heard good things about Zoneminder. I just haven't really had a reason to switch.
      HS4Pro Win10 | Fire Tablet touchscreen client, Android Phones and Tablets | Jon00 | Smartthings | Philips Hue | Trane | Caseta | Nanoleaf | Ring | August | Evolve | Aladdin | Amazon Alexa/IFTT

Comment

I would say relating to DVR / NVR applications to try them all. The reason I play with Zoneminder is because.

1 - I've learned how to use it over about 10 years
        2 - started using it with an 8 port 8 chip video capture card from the beginning and it worked fine
        3 - modded the heck out of it as its really easy to do that once you get familiar with it.
        4 - I have been able to transition to utilizing initially SD IP cams and lately HD IP cams with it such that I have all of this running on Zoneminder today; analog, SD IP and HD IP cams.

It is a bit difficult to play with. Best support on the forum comes from when you ask the right questions rather than newbee questions making the forum kind of not really friendly sometimes.

I am pushing it though and really need to update the hardware for the multiple streaming and captures going on. I have not really had time.

The above noted I am also wanting to play with BI but haven't had the time. Meanwhile though just starting to play with the included with IP cams software from Ubiquti IP cams and Grandstream IP cams and trying to break them with now multiple Ubiquiti and Grandstream OS cams for the heck of it.

Thing with the vendors software is that you have to utilize their cams. Lately my DIY thing has been getting IP HD camera boards, camera boards and putting these inside of IP67 domes from speco analog cams (had a few of these in my box o stuff that I never used).
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by mark_anderson_us View Post
          Was looking at iSpy. Seems I have to have a subscription for remote access. Is that the case?
          I believe you are correct. I haven't used that feature yet, but I think the free account only allows access from a computer on the same network as the iSpy server.

It may be possible to use a remote access program to control a local computer, but the cost of the iSpy account is low enough that it may not be worth the trouble.
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

I have noticed some issues relating to the migration of analog 480 to HD 720-1080 NVR to the internet whether it is a DIY or relating to utilizing a service in the cloud.

Typically residential non business ISP connectivity uploading speeds are way less than downloading. Software does do compression but the capping of the uploading will always be a bottleneck unless you request to upgrade your ISP internet service.

That said and not too long ago I was helping a person in Colorado that had a weekend retreat with a few outdoor IP HD cams. I wasn't really sure of the transport but guessing it was only OK. That said the person was trying to view compressed HD video streams from the NVR. He was thinking that it was an issue with the software running at the site. I explained some about the uploading ISP caps and that the issue was relating more to the ISP bottleneck than the software.

One advantage I am seeing to the ISP provided automation stuff by the month is that the bandwidth up or down and QOS is controlled and maintained by said ISP provider. That said if they do provide the service of security, automation, video monitoring et al they can change the speeds of your transport such that your uploading is as faster or even faster than your downloading speeds connectivity to you home.
            Last edited by Pete; August 1, 2013, 08:53 AM.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I would say relating to DVR / NVR applications to try them all. The reason I play with Zoneminder is because.

1 - I've learned how to use it over about 10 years
              2 - started using it with an 8 port 8 chip video capture card from the beginning and it worked fine
              3 - modded the heck out of it as its really easy to do that once you get familiar with it.
              4 - I have been able to transition to utilizing initially SD IP cams and lately HD IP cams with it such that I have all of this running on Zoneminder today; analog, SD IP and HD IP cams.

It is a bit difficult to play with. Best support on the forum comes from when you ask the right questions rather than newbee questions making the forum kind of not really friendly sometimes.

I am pushing it though and really need to update the hardware for the multiple streaming and captures going on. I have not really had time.

The above noted I am also wanting to play with BI but haven't had the time. Meanwhile though just starting to play with the included with IP cams software from Ubiquti IP cams and Grandstream IP cams and trying to break them with now multiple Ubiquiti and Grandstream OS cams for the heck of it.

Thing with the vendors software is that you have to utilize their cams. Lately my DIY thing has been getting IP HD camera boards, camera boards and putting these inside of IP67 domes from speco analog cams (had a few of these in my box o stuff that I never used).
              What model HD IP cam do you like the best?

Comment

Most recently we've been using the Grandstream but like Pete said, prices are dropping and more cams on coming into the market.
                HS4Pro Win10 | Fire Tablet touchscreen client, Android Phones and Tablets | Jon00 | Smartthings | Philips Hue | Trane | Caseta | Nanoleaf | Ring | August | Evolve | Aladdin | Amazon Alexa/IFTT

Comment

Personally I do not work for any of these companies and not looking to endorse any particular model or MFG right now...more into just the technology that they are putting into the cameras.

An example relating to what Ubiquiti does best and how they are integrating their core technologies into their cameras.

Another example as mentioned is Grandstream's bread and butter core technologies are now on a small IP camera board some 2" square....

Foscam is another example of this relating to being able to sell a PT IP SD camera for less than $100 just a couple of years ago....
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Mario23 View Post
                    Most recently we've been using the Grandstream but like Pete said, prices are dropping and more cams on coming into the market.
                    Hi Mario

Does this work with other vendor's camera?

Regards

mark

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
                    USB UIRT
                    HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
                    2GIG Thermostat
                    BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
                    BLUPS
                    UltraLog (SQL2008)
                    Jon00 Plugins
                    Global Cache IP2IR
                    Foscam FI8918W

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                      I believe you are correct. I haven't used that feature yet, but I think the free account only allows access from a computer on the same network as the iSpy server.

It may be possible to use a remote access program to control a local computer, but the cost of the iSpy account is low enough that it may not be worth the trouble.
                      Thanks

Not interested in anything subscription based. I'm happy to pay for good software, but not forever

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
                      USB UIRT
                      HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
                      2GIG Thermostat
                      BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
                      BLUPS
                      UltraLog (SQL2008)
                      Jon00 Plugins
                      Global Cache IP2IR
                      Foscam FI8918W

Comment

Re: Video surveillance software?

Originally posted by mark_anderson_us View Post
                        Hi Mario

Does this work with other vendor's camera?

Regards

mark
                        Yeah they have s list of supported hardware.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Testing a new almost "fisheye" HD 1080 IP camera lens / board in the next week or so. Looks interesting. Putting it in a Speco Dome IP67 case as I have become familiar with taking and modifying these. They are very sturdy housings. Only PITA about them is the security allen screws with the little nubs on them such that you have to use a keyed allen key. I ordered the IP camera this time with a POE connection module.

If I could fit this one in a tiny IP67 dome it would be a nice over the front door type IP camera because of the 170 degrees view. I like this one better also for the garage replacing the PT IP camera there today.
                          Attached Files
                          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Testing a new almost "fisheye" HD 1080 IP camera lens / board in the next week or so. Looks interesting. Putting it in a Speco Dome IP67 case as I have become familiar with taking and modifying these. They are very sturdy housings. Only PITA about them is the security allen screws with the little nubs on them such that you have to use a keyed allen key. I ordered the IP camera this time with a POE connection module.

If I could fit this one in a tiny IP67 dome it would be a nice over the front door type IP camera because of the 170 degrees view. I like this one better also for the garage replacing the PT IP camera there today.
                            Hi Pete

looks interesting. what's the price on these and where can one buy?

What software do they support?

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
                            USB UIRT
                            HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
                            2GIG Thermostat
                            BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
                            BLUPS
                            UltraLog (SQL2008)
                            Jon00 Plugins
                            Global Cache IP2IR
                            Foscam FI8918W

Comment

The one pictured is a bit over a hundred with a POE adapter. Note that it is only the camera board and the IP board. It is using a Grandstream OS. (built in SIP plus everything else). Note that all of the Grandstream IP cameras use similiar software.

Here is the link. I think I got it on sale because it is higher than I paid for it.

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...R%252dCUT.html
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

The one pictured is a bit over a hundred with a POE adapter. Note that it is only the camera board and the IP board. It is using a Grandstream OS. (built in SIP plus everything else). Note that all of the Grandstream IP cameras use similiar software.

Here is the link. I think I got it on sale because it is higher than I paid for it.

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/pr...R%252dCUT.html
                                Thanks Pete. Even at 165, seems pretty good for HD and 170-degree

Did you get it working with ZM OK?

Do you have a source for empty domes? Did a quick google, but didn't find anything

Regards

mark

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
                                USB UIRT
                                HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
                                2GIG Thermostat
                                BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
                                BLUPS
                                UltraLog (SQL2008)
                                Jon00 Plugins
                                Global Cache IP2IR
                                Foscam FI8918W

Comment

Working...
                                X