No announcement yet.

Most Reliable Weather Data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes I am really curious about the Davis. Most of the local WUN stations are using Davis; I'm the only one listed with an AAG. Someone did write to me on the WUN site asking if it was really that windy by my house (with the AAG hitting the 70 MPH wind speeds).

The "plan" with the Davis is to do the com port serial modification; it appears to be straight forward.

We are in a subdivision to the East of town surrounded by open areas so I could see a bit windy here maybe. Golfing I've noticed some odd wind shears at the most inopportune times. Turning the ball to an unintentional odd slice or hook; or it could me, or the club or the ball or the tee....
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

The numbers that I have seen over the last few weeks with the AAG / Cumulus tell me that the AAG is totally not accurate is over reporting the winds / gusts making it not really a suitable anemometer (I knew that anyways).

I'm going to move the connection over to a 9097 to see if the numbers are different.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Unrelated to the initial post but related to the under reporting of the Fine Offset and over reporting of the AAG wind speeds. I noticed high gusts yesterday and the wind moved my deck furniture. Peaks with fine offset were around 20MPH and with the AAG something like 60MPH.
        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
          Unrelated to the initial post but related to the under reporting of the Fine Offset and over reporting of the AAG wind speeds. I noticed high gusts yesterday and the wind moved my deck furniture. Peaks with fine offset were around 20MPH and with the AAG something like 60MPH.
          That is quite a variance. I'd expect some being a different heights, but man that's quite a spread.

Comment

As an update, I've decided to keep track for another week to get more data, but the trend is starting to be established.

Accuweather has the most "hits"(either exact match or closest to the actual temp), with WeatherUnderground running second. Otherwise, it's not close.

Comment

I'd expect some being a different heights, but man that's quite a spread.
              Way to much. I did some mods to the AAG instrument to help with the wind speeds; didn't really work though.

I'm guessing a gust of wind maybe around 30 MPH could move my patio furniture and maybe a gust of 40 would take the chairs off the deck (which I have seen). I recently also refinished the surface; so it is much smoother these days.

So your leaning a bit towards Accuweather versus WUN?
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
                So your leaning a bit towards Accuweather versus WUN?
                Well WUN has a great free API I just started looking at which Accuweather doesn't, although getting the daily forecast from there would be inconsequential. I can get the current data from my weather station. I'm just looking for the best source for my 7 day forecast and the next day forecast that I speak in the mornings so I only need to check it once a day.

I like WUN's approach with their tiered pricing. You get 500 lookups a day for free, then they charge if you want more. I can't see that you really need more than that for the average HA user. I figure that since I'm sending them data from my weather station anyway, I might as well use their data for my forecast if it's reasonably accurate (which so far it looks to be, for me anyway).

I guess the biggest thing I can take is that there isn't much different between choosing accuweather or WUN as there is say choosing one of my local stations or ironically weather.com, which is kind of what spurred this whole thing to begin with. I'm going to check three more days of data, then I'll post the final numbers.

Comment

Attached Files
                  Last edited by mfisher; November 5, 2011, 10:50 AM.
                  Best regards,
                  -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
                  Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Funny how paying attention to these numbers show distinct differences in the reporting of data.

Mark, great info on NOAA.

I never even knew that WUN had any pricing. Looked up my account status and it shows:

No-Ads Paid Membership
                    expiring at the end of next year. But its shown this same for many years now. I like to read Dr. Jeff's tropical weather blog.

In the late 1990's/early 2000's I would hang around our company's meteological center. At the time they had something like 8 full time meteorlogists. It was impressive although not very large for watching both domestic and international weather.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Mark - is that something automated doing those graphs for you (some plugin) or are you manually keeping track and graphing them?

Pete - check here http://www.wunderground.com/weather/api/ and you'll find the pricing tiers.

It's interesting to see the variations where some are better than others (if you are closer to the airport, near some feature that affects the weather, etc).

Comment

Is there any weather FEED to use where I live; Norway!
                        The weather plugin is only for USA

btw: I`m not an experienced script programer

Comment

Originally posted by GatorEye View Post
                          Mark - is that something automated doing those graphs for you (some plugin) or are you manually keeping track and graphing them?
                          I'm using mcsTemperature to stuff the values into a DB and then graph them.
                          Best regards,
                          -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
                          Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Filip,

You can utilize the newest weatherxml script which does international weather. I utilize weather data from more than one HS plugin / script plus my own weather data from whatever instruments I have outside. I feed the numbers as Mark does into mcsTemperature. (years now). Two years ago or so I thinned out the mcsTemperature DB cuz there was something like over 6-7 years of data in it. I went to thinning it out to only the last two years.

BTW I have been playing with the "Fine Offset" weather station and it does OK for the price paired up with Cumulus / Homeseer. Its a very small footprint wireless weather station. I need to mount it higher if I can; so may place the weather station on one roof on one side of the house.

Next is purchase of the Davis Weather Vue style weather station; with a HW modification and also implementing it with Homeseer. Price difference is about 4-5 X more with the Davis; so will be going slower with the HW modification pieces. I am procastinating still.
                            Last edited by Pete; November 6, 2011, 06:40 AM.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Well the results are in and the winner is WeatherUnderground.

I took the predicted High and Low temps every day for 2 weeks and compared the forecast to the actual temp from my weather station. I then noted which one(s) had the closest temp.

The first week, I recorded the weather prediction the night before each day. The results out of 14 possible:

WUnderground - 6
                              Accuweather - 6
                              Weather.com - 3
                              Local A - 3
                              Local B - 2
                              Weather.gov - 2

The second week, I recorded the weather prediction the morning of the day I was recording the forecast. One thing I noted, that some sites, the forecast changed throughout the day (especially WUnderground). I did not change what I had recorded however. The results for week 2 out of 14 possible:

WUnderground - 7
                              Accuweather - 5
                              Weather.gov - 5
                              Local A - 4
                              Weather.com - 3
                              Local B - 2

So with that the totals for 2 weeks (28 possible data points):

WUnderground - 13
                              Accuweather - 11
                              Weather.gov - 7
                              Local A - 7
                              Weather.com - 6
                              Local B - 4

So clearly for me WUnderground has had the most reliable data. I notice that their forecast gets better as the day goes on as well although if you were someone that say, checked the day's weather in the morning before you left for work, that wouldn't be as much help to you. Another thing I noticed is that WUnderground got some outliers correct. There was one day in particular where their predicted high was 8-10 degrees higher than all the others and it turned out to be right on.

I realize the results might be different for others, but it was certainly an interesting exercise to see the wide variations and especially how poor the local stations did. Although the format of their XML leaves something to be desired, I am going with them.

Comment

Great news GatorEye. WUN has always been my favorite. I continue to utilize multiple weather services with HS.

Here I'm trying to guage how much wind it takes to move all of my deck furniture off the deck. The Fine Offset "recorded" gusts of 35-40 MPH the other day and 2 chairs were "moved" off the deck.
                                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                                X