Control a device without recalling web page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Control a device without recalling web page

Probably a stupid question... I'm using forms to call functions on an ASP page. Is there a way to control a device without using forms?
    Don

Are you trying to control the devices on the back of some sort of user input (button or such) or do you just want the device controlled on page load?

Comment

Have you looked at the JSON interface. You can call these from many different ways.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

User Input. I have a video stream embedded in the page and the reload plays havoc with it.

I'm not sure how to use JSON w/a button.

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
        Are you trying to control the devices on the back of some sort of user input (button or such) or do you just want the device controlled on page load?
        Don

Comment

My gut instinct wonders if you could use some sort of AJAX function with the postback via the JSON interface which would then not need the page to be refreshed. I'll have a play around see whether I can do it...

Comment

You could put an iFrame on the page (hide it after testing) that you target with an asp:LinkButton that runs the JSON command and the results are shown in the hidden iFrame.

Comment

Can you give me an example Greg? Or perhaps point me to one...

Thanks to both of you for suggestions.
              Don

Comment

Ever find out anything about this? I'm trying to do something similar and having no luck whatsoever

Comment

Just saw this. You should be able to use something like this.
                  PHP Code:
                  <html>
                  <
                  body>
                   <
                  iframe id="mainFrame" name="mainFrame" width="200"  height="200" src="" style="visibility:visible;"></iframe>
                          <
                  input type="button" value="Click" onclick="mainFrame.location.href = 'http://yourIpAddress:81/JSON?request=runevent&group=Speaking&name=SpeakTheTime'" /> 
                  </
                  body>
                  </
                  html
                  Once this works set the visibility to hidden on the iFrame.

Comment

No. Still ended up with the page refreshing. Just saw Rupp's example, and will try that.

EDIT:

That works.

Thanks Greg.
                    Last edited by donstephens; October 18, 2015, 10:56 PM.
                    Don

Comment

Working...
                    X