Slow response with last beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by usLEDsupply View Post
    i believe there is a bug with trying to set your own serial port speed as for the past few versions i have had to open the Arduino file and search for "Serial.begin" or "115200" and change it to match what you set in the board setup. it is defaulted to 115200 but i have an original mega and it seems to work better at a lower speed

it may have something to do with my slow PC as i also have to restart hs3 and disable other plugins to even get the Arduino setup screen to load but at least it works and i don't have to do it often:-)
    What is the speed you have selected? 9600?

Comment

yes i am using 9600 (it seems plenty fast or all the more data it uses)

Comment

Hi All,

I am running lots of test here at home and so far have not seen any lag in the system or anything that is causing this. I need to test out the Analog inputs more as some users are thinking this is the problem and I do not use them here so it may be the case. But there are also others who are using them without problems.

I have also been running connection tests to see if I can get to the bottom of why some peoples boards are disconnecting and getting errors. As I hope you will all understand this is very hard to trace as there are so many variables as to what the problems could be and the time I have to run tests.

I have located the bug that is stopping the changed baud not being loaded in to the ino and this will be fixed in the next Beta version.

If you want to go back to an old version of the plugin then please do by going to

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...rride.txt?dl=1

and changing V.99 in the url to the version you need.

Thanks for all the info and feedback from everyone about the problems they are having and please remember that this is why this is still in Beta and if you do not want to have any problems then wait till we get it all stable before upgrading.

Thanks again.

Greig.
        Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
        X10 = CM12U, 2xAM12, 1xAW10, 1 x TM13U, 1xMS13, 2xHR10, 2xSS13
        Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
        Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
        Scripts =
        Various

Comment

i have been running .99 without any issues since it came out (i did have to change the baud to 9600 on the USB connected mega) but other than that no issues and i have a 2-3 analog inputs per board
          i just upgraded to .103 last night and had some lag/false triggers last night on the USB connected board but this morning i changed the baud to 9600 and everything has been fine since (it hasn't been that long yet so time will tell but no disconnects or false triggers)

The usb connected arduino runs my HVAC system and zones, motion detectors, smoke alarm sensor, fire sprinkler sensor, water and compressed air pressure sensors (analog), door strikes, gas fireplace, and i have a bunch of one wire temp sensors to put on when i get some time so i have a pushover event that will let me know if it goes down and it has been great so far

if you are having issues with the USB boards i would try changing the baud to 9600 and see if that makes a difference

Comment

Greig, I appreciate your efforts.

I am still troubleshooting on my end to determine if it's a networking issue or plugin issue. I have one Mega connected via USB that is lightning fast...just a switch tied to a digital input to run an even to turn a light on when the button is depressed and off when released. Super fast response. It has to be something network related on my end, I just haven't figured it out yet.

Comment

Just a small update. I have found a batch of ethernet shields that I ordered (I had 4-5 from one supplier) have been super flaky, and so I had another shield from another supplier that I had been using that was better...but may have had problems. I was in the process of upgrading my network so I changed out the switch at the same time as the ethernet shield and the problem has seemed to have gone away. The lag is gone. I wish there was an easy way, ie: ping test etc..., to diagnose a problem like this.

I've had the new switch connected to the Mega with ethernet shield for the last week and had zero connection issues as well as instant response. So I most likely had two problems and just a lack of time to troubleshoot...but I think I have it figured out. I can't wait to get some more arduino's online and begin automating LED's and tying in more motion sensors.

The switch I previously used was streaming HD video with no issues and moving large files through our network with no problems. But simple data as to the status of a pin being sent back from the arduino was like equivalent to sending a 100gig file through the network... No idea why, especially when the outputs could be controlled with near instant response. Maybe it had all to do with the arduino TX having an issue, and not the RX. Or something inside the switch with dealing with such small transfers of data? I have no idea.

Greig, is there any connection troubleshooting tools you could incorporate in a future release? I'm not sure what could be done. I know the value in this plugin and can't wait to heavily use it!

Comment

Yet another update. I know why it's been laggy...one arduino with an ethernet shield connected to motion sensors works instantly, no problems. I connect the 2nd and that's where the lag comes in. Now is the lag to do with the computer hardware, HS3 or the plugin?

Also since I last posted I did a clean wipe of the PC (for unrelated reasons) and reinstalled all the software. Still have a lag with two arduino's connected, lag goes away when there is just one plugged into the network. Any idea?

Comment

Hi Mate.....

When i had issues with the ESP8266 wireless board, all of the other ethernet boards operated in a weird manner, this was due to the ESP8266 retrying its connects.

The second board, does it ever connect and remain stable? If you disconnect the 1st board and just leave the second one connected, does it work ?

I have 7 boards (Uno, mega, nano and ESP8266) and its stable. I find that after 4 weeks I need to reboot the box as the weigand proximity reader slows down in reading the tags. Suspect that is due to the limited RAM in the PC

Pete
                  HS 2.2.0.11

Comment

Originally posted by petez69 View Post
                    Hi Mate.....

When i had issues with the ESP8266 wireless board, all of the other ethernet boards operated in a weird manner, this was due to the ESP8266 retrying its connects.

The second board, does it ever connect and remain stable? If you disconnect the 1st board and just leave the second one connected, does it work ?

I have 7 boards (Uno, mega, nano and ESP8266) and its stable. I find that after 4 weeks I need to reboot the box as the weigand proximity reader slows down in reading the tags. Suspect that is due to the limited RAM in the PC

Pete
                    When having both boards connected they seem to both be stable in regards to being connected with the plugin/HS3. However I will wire a DSC motion sensor to the 2nd arduino and create an event for it. Connect Board #1 alone and see it's response (the way it is right now), which should be fast as it is now. Then disconnect it, connect board #2 and see it's response, then connect both and see the response of each. I am guessing both will be laggy. I'll try that this weekend (or possibly even tonight) when I have some free time.

The computer HS3 is on is a Q6600 2.4ghz quad core, 8gb of ram with gobs of hard drive space.

Comment

Originally posted by petez69 View Post
                      See the attachments for the two boards.

As of lately I had Board #2 disconnected, and Board #1 with the DSC sensors have been working great. Nearly zero lag, they work well enough you can walk into a room and the lights kick on via an event immediately. So I enable Board #2 and the it seems the lag to triggering an event with the motion sensors increases over time. For example Board #1 is connected, and then Board #2 is connected, I try and trip the DSC motion on Board #1 and it takes 4-5 seconds to trigger the event. The longer Board #2 is connected the longer the lag for any of the DSC inputs on Board #1.

So with both boards connected I try and trigger an event with the Board #2 via the #9 input pin with a cheap motion sensor. Lag... I disconnect board #1 and the lag is gone, Board #2 Input from pin 9 is immediate.

So this whole issue is due to two boards with the IP, Port No. and MAC Addresses as defined in the Arduino plugin. Board #1 is a MEGA and Board #2 is an Uno. I also had a Board #3 for a while connected to the USB port of the computer, it was never affected by any ethernet attached Arduinos and I don't recall it affecting either of them when connected.

Any ideas? I now know the problem, I just don't know the solution as I don't want to be limited to only one Arduino...

Oh also one other thing with both boards connected the outputs on Board #1 (connected to a relay board) are FAST. No lag with any type of connection, it only has to do with the inputs being fed back to the HS/Arduino plugin.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

Please try adding this with your default gateway to the board sketches to see if it helps.

IPAddress gateway(192, 168, 1, 1);

then change

Ethernet.begin(mac, ip);

to

Ethernet.begin(mac, ip, dns, gateway);

This may help some network problems.

Greig.
                        Zwave = Z-Stick, 3xHSM100� 7xACT ZDM230, 1xEverspring SM103, 2xACT HomePro ZRP210.
                        Other Hardware = ADI Ocelot + secu16, Global Cache GC100, RFXtrx433, 3 x Foscams.
                        Plugings = RFXcom, ActiveBackup, Applied Digital Ocelot, BLDeviceMatrix, BLGarbage, BLLAN, Current Cost, Global Cache GC100,HSTouch Android, HSTouch Server, HSTouch Server Unlimited, NetCAM, PowerTrigger, SageWebcamXP, SqueezeBox, X10 CM11A/CM12U.
                        Scripts =
                        Various

Comment

Originally posted by enigmatheatre View Post
                          Hi,

Please try adding this with your default gateway to the board sketches to see if it helps.

IPAddress gateway(192, 168, 1, 1);

then change

Ethernet.begin(mac, ip);

to

Ethernet.begin(mac, ip, dns, gateway);

This may help some network problems.

Greig.
                          Dang I was really hoping this would work. I left both devices connected and the lag is still there. I loaded the code on Friday night and it lagged all weekend, no change. I can only run one Arduino via ethernet...and I need to have at least one in the house and one in the garage. Any other ideas?

I redid my networking 3 or 4 times since this whole issue came about, new switches, new wiring...and it all came down to two devices being online and connected at the same time causing a problem. The only thing I could think of is the settings for the Ethernet NIC on the computer? I haven't changed anything from the default settings...but that's the only other variable. Having HS3 tell an arduino to turn a device on or off is always fast, it's just any inputs to the arduino are always laggy coming back into HS3.

Comment

Can you send me a debug with both board on-line.

Greig.
                            Scripts =
                            Various

Comment

Originally posted by enigmatheatre View Post
                              Can you send me a debug with both board on-line.

Greig.
                              I put them both online and had it logging for the last hour. I sent you the dropbox link for the ArduinoDebug.txt file. Hopefully it provides you some answers.

Comment

Greig, anything show up?

Comment

Working...
                                X