Video surveillance software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video surveillance software?

I've been looking at various cameras and video surveillance software, and I'm having trouble finding something I like. I've been playing with ZoneMinder a little, and find it unintuitive and complicated. I'm actually more comfortable in Linux/UNIX than in Windows, so that's not an issue.

I'd like to get your opinions. I'm looking for something that can do either full time or motion based recording of IP based cameras. Of course, something that's relatively easy to integrate into HomeSeer is a requirement too. I'd like to be able to raise events based on motion detection, integrate into HSTouch, and do some more advanced things like pop up a browser window showing the front door cam when the doorbell rings, or display the front door cam on the TV. I realize some of these things will require custom development, but that's okay with me. I just need a good underlying video platform.

Here's what I know so far:
    - Vitamin D: Nice, but relatively inflexible, and not actively developed anymore
    - ZoneMinder: complex. Not intuitive (at least to me), have not been able to get a couple of simple cameras operating like I want them to
    - Various HS plugins: seem to be very outdated, and I'm looking for something current

I'd also love to hear suggestions on what you guys are using for cameras. I bought a couple of D-Link DCS-932Ls and I'm not all that thrilled with them. Besides one of them coming with a dead power supply, they don't support RTSP, and they have annoying red lights and an audible "clunk" sound when in night mode. Price point is great though at $100.
    HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
    Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
    Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
    Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

I use BlueIris and it works pretty well. It has motion detection and the ability to run a script when motion is detected. I use that functionality to run a .VBS to connect to HS and update a virtual device with the number of recorded 'events' for the day/month, etc.

I would look for one that provides that flexibility and whatever you do, dont run it on the same server as HS. Motion detection eats a substantial amount of CPU.
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

You should also take a look at iSpy. It's not as intuitive as VDV, nor is it as good at detecting uniquely human motion, but it's very comprehensive - and free. Nothing that I've looked at will eliminate false motion detection, so HS event triggering will require some care.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Reid,

HD IP low cost cameras are just around the corner (relatively speaking). (under $150 with bells and whistles).
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I have not looked at (or heard of) BlueIris of ISpy. I'll check them out. Years ago I used another package that came with an analog capture board, and it worked really well for motion detection. Some false positives, but was able to tune most of them out. For example, blocking out the underside of a door so it wouldn't trigger when shadows passed by.

Pete, I know you've done a lot with cameras, so I'm interested in any advice you have. Sub $150 is the price point I'm looking for. Resolution isn't as important to me as overall clarity, compensation for poor lighting, and reliability.
          Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
          Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
          Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

The latest update for blue iris added the choice detecting changes in light and color or or one or the other. I am trying just color to see if that solves the light issues and triggering.
            HS4Pro Win10 | Fire Tablet touchscreen client, Android Phones and Tablets | Jon00 | Smartthings | Philips Hue | Trane | Caseta | Nanoleaf | Ring | August | Evolve | Aladdin | Amazon Alexa/IFTT

Comment

You can purchase high end analog imports now for $50 with IR/good optics/auto color etc and very small. I have three outdoor in direct weather with no shielding in IP66 mini cases.

Think that Rob has been using Blue Iris now for over a year.

I am biased about Zoneminder because I'm at ZM box #3 or #4 in the last 10 years or so now; its changed over the years and yes its not really that intuitive. It never breaks and just keeps ticking.

Mario, a lot of the newer analog cameras auto switch from color to black and white at night and turn on their illumination. I have yet to see really good IR illumination from any of the cameras that I have played with outdoors. The Foscam gen 2 PT camera in the garage is so bright that you can see the IR illumination glowing at night; that and lights up the entire garage. Next gen PT with HD is smaller and 3 MP 1080 picture and POE; but no IR Illumination. More than just PT though with zoom and more lens control via web interface.

Seen a Foscam "clone"; looks just like the Foscam in every way except its HD and includes POE.
              Last edited by Pete; August 14, 2012, 08:33 PM.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I installed ISpy and it looks pretty decent for my needs. It won't let me access the web server even from my local network for some reason though. Probably because HomeSeer has its own public IP address that's different from the rest of my network. They're on the same local LAN though.

Until I find something better I'll probably stick with ISpy. I do like that it gives me the MP4 recordings and an XML index, so I could probably integrate it into the HomeSeer web interface.

Comment

I use SupervisionCam and Zoneminder.
                  http://www.supervisioncam.de/

Zoneminder for complicated things and Supervision for quick easy things. PLUS with Zoneminder, it can interface directly with my Zomodo DVR.

--Dan
                  Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

I have been very happy with BlueIris also, I run 9 USB HD webcams (I really prefer the widescreen display) but it will accept a wide range of cams.
                    John

Comment

Originally posted by lj502 View Post
                      I have been very happy with BlueIris also, I run 9 USB HD webcams (I really prefer the widescreen display) but it will accept a wide range of cams.
                      John
                      I'm another BlueIris user have been for years. Great product. John, what USB HD webcams are you using?

Comment

I am using the Microsoft Cinema webcams, they are up to 1280x720 but also lower resolutions with some digital pan and tilt. I have 8 running directly on my BlueIris server with a couple of USB cards added and 1 to 3 that I stream from other PCs in the house running a single cam version of BlueIris. Not all are recording at 720P as I don't need it but I can easily run 5 or 6 at 1280x720 @ 10 fps and the other 5 or 6 at 800 x448 @ 10 fps and I never really tax the server. The remote streaming is very nice with this setup also, I have single and multiple camera web pages on the BlueIris server that steam inside of HSTouch as web pages so it never strains my Homeseer (HSTouch) server.
                        John

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                          You should also take a look at iSpy. It's not as intuitive as VDV, nor is it as good at detecting uniquely human motion, but it's very comprehensive - and free. Nothing that I've looked at will eliminate false motion detection, so HS event triggering will require some care.
                          Hi Uncle Michael

Was looking at iSpy. Seems I have to have a subscription for remote access. Is that the case?

Regards

Mark

Dell Zino HD - HSPRo 2.x
                          HSTouch - iPhone 3GS, 4S, iPad2 and iPad 3, 3xKindle Fire (Wall mounted)
                          2 x Brultech ECM1240 with UltraECM
                          USB UIRT
                          Cooper Aspire Z-Wave Switches
                          WGL800 w ACRF2 and 3xDS10a (Sump Level/Activity sensing)
                          HM ST812-2 Flood Sensor
                          HSM100 - Motion Detector with Light and Temperature
                          2GIG Thermostat
                          BLDSC - Alarm Plug-in
                          BLUPS
                          UltraLog (SQL2008)
                          Jon00 Plugins
                          Host XR3 BT and Jon00 BT Proximity
                          Global Cache IP2IR
                          Foscam FI8918W

Comment

I've also used BlueIris for years, great software and support.

Comment

Relating to the use of video motion algorithms to detect motion; it will work better on an interior cam than exterior. Today I am using it and it is connected to hardware such that it triggers x10 when there is motion detected. The built in to new cameras motion detection is OK but not nearly as good as something running on a computer and something running on a computer today is still only OK.

That said though I use other outdoor motion sensors such that the combination of all of these is what triggers motion. You can do wireless outdoor sensors. My preference is hardwired sensors. I did just recently purchased another outdoor sensor to play with some. It is as large as the combo Optex outdoor combo PIR cameras I utilize today.

In a short recap best triggers with less false positives though for outdoor CCTV recording is a combination event triggered by more than one sensor; whatever it is that you decide to utilize.
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                              X