No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi + Squuezebox + Speaker Client for Whole House Audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got the exactly the same issue and already reported it earlier.
    http://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=169289
    This looks like a problem with squeezelite running on Linux. It works when using the windows version.
    The speaker proxy needs to produce the mp3 files in a more general bitrate, or Triode (squeezelite developer) needs to look in to this one to make sure that a future version of squeezelite for Linux is able to play files with this bitrate.

Comment

So I have squeezeplug installed on a Raspberry Pi which is basically Raspbian with squeezelite installed. I hooked up a speaker using the Pi's internal sound card and 3.5mm jack. If I run some TTS it works fine using the MP3 setting in the plugin. If the MP3 setting is not checked, however, I hear nothing from the Pi. Maybe this is an issue related to the USB sound cards or did you try using MP3 vs the native WAV that I think HS3 would produce?

FYI..I looked at the properties of the MP3 produced by HS3/SB plugin and it is only 32kbs...I would think this is playable in squeezelite???

Comment

Originally posted by pcp View Post
        Do you have another LMS player (hardware or software on let's say windows using softsqueeze or squeeze play) that is not raspberry PI to see if it would play the file from the library?
        You nailed it. I installed Soft Squeeze on my pc and the TTS voice works perfect threw it. The files it creates are 32kbps. So does anyone have a work around? The bad thing is I got 5 pi set up and running perfect and now I got to find another work around hehe. Home automation is fun!!

Comment

shane94, double check that squeezelite is not using the default card. You can probably check this by connecting to the 3.5mm jack on the pi vs the one on the USB card. The squeezelite settings can also be found at /etc/default/squeezelite (at least that is where it is on squeezeplug). My settings are as follows for the default card:

Code:
          SLOPTIONS="-n Backyard -o sysdefault:CARD=ALSA -a :::0 -s 127.0.0.1"
          SLMAC="00:04:20:00:00:01"
          There are instructions in that file about selecting other cards. You can also issue the following squeezelite command to see what cards the program can see:

Code:
          squeezelite -l
          Maybe the sound is simply going out the wrong way on the Pi. If you look at my post I was able to get the Pi to work...so squeezelite is able to play it which means it must be a hardware issue unless there are some missing software bits on your setup.

I realize the squeezelite is working for other files but I would double check this just in case to make sure things are setup properly and again maybe route sound out the default Pi soundcard to make sure it isn't hardware related.

For further reference, here is a guide for setting up squeezelite on a vortexbox which is similar to setup although the config file is in a different spot:

http://info.vortexbox.org/tiki-index...ge=SqueezeLite

Finally, I think there is a way to debug squeezelite and get a log file of what is going on. I will see if I can find some posts on this...I know I had to do this before.
          Last edited by heatvent; September 25, 2014, 06:10 AM.

Comment

I just quickly wrote picoreplayer to an SD card fired it up and was also able to play TTS through squeezelite. I am using a model B plus raspberry pi maybe there's a hardware difference?

If you have an extra SD card laying around you could easily burn picoreplayer and see if that will work for you.

Comment

Originally posted by heatvent View Post
              shane94, double check that squeezelite is not using the default card. You can probably check this by connecting to the 3.5mm jack on the pi vs the one on the USB card. The squeezelite settings can also be found at /etc/default/squeezelite (at least that is where it is on squeezeplug). My settings are as follows for the default card:

Code:
              There are instructions in that file about selecting other cards. You can also issue the following squeezelite command to see what cards the program can see:

Code:
              squeezelite -l
              Maybe the sound is simply going out the wrong way on the Pi. If you look at my post I was able to get the Pi to work...so squeezelite is able to play it which means it must be a hardware issue unless there are some missing software bits on your setup.

I realize the squeezelite is working for other files but I would double check this just in case to make sure things are setup properly and again maybe route sound out the default Pi soundcard to make sure it isn't hardware related.

For further reference, here is a guide for setting up squeezelite on a vortexbox which is similar to setup although the config file is in a different spot:

Finally, I think there is a way to debug squeezelite and get a log file of what is going on. I will see if I can find some posts on this...I know I had to do this before.
              I am using this card: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MSS6CS

When i get home tonight i will plug the amp into the actual pi sound vs the USB and test that.

Thank you again for all the help We are way closer today then i was yesterday for sure!

Comment

Code:

Code:
                squeezelite -l

I first plugged into the onboard sound and nothing played music wise or tts voice.

Player in config file is SL_SOUNDCARD="front:CARD=Device,DEV=0"

that is the USB card. Now I went and removed the USB audio then set the config file to use the onboard sound as the default and Low and behold the TTS voice works. So appears to be a USB hardware issue. So not sure what to do. Maybe try a different USB sound card? The onboard sound from the pi sounds like ***. Lots of static and crackle in it vs the sound card. But hey that's a major hurtle we now know its hardware and not software Thanks again for all the great debugging!

Comment

Well I'm glad you're making progress. It's still a bit odd that when you play music everything works but when it is TTS you have problems. I wonder if there's some difference on how the plugin or LMS it streaming music versus voice. It could be possible but there still some settings that you could do to squeeze light to get it to work with the USB soundcard that you have. although that's probably getting passed an area that I have any experience in.

Did you run this command "squeezelite -l" with the usb installed?

Also what are your settings in the squeezelite configuration for you usb soundcard? maybe there is something in the settings that could be changed.

If you want to post these I would be willing to help.

One other thought, not sure if you want to keep debugging or if you want to throw in the towel, but if you have an extra SD card it is very easy to install picoreplayer on an SD card and reboot the pi with it to see if that might work out of the box for some reason. You basically just download a 60mb file, burn to a SD card and boot. Given you have a USB card you may have to go to the web interface, list the ALSA devices and select the right one but it is very simple/user friendly. Probably a 5-10min exercise in total.

Picoreplayer can be found at https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home if you want to have a look.
                  Last edited by heatvent; September 26, 2014, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Well I'm glad you're making progress. It's still a bit odd that when you play music everything works but when it is TTS you have problems. I wonder if there's some difference on how the plugin or LMS it streaming music versus voice. It could be possible but there still some settings that you could do to squeeze light to get it to work with the USB soundcard that you have. although that's probably getting passed an area that I have any experience in.

Did you run this command "squeezelite -l" with the usb installed?

Also what are your settings in the squeezelite configuration for you usb soundcard? maybe there is something in the settings that could be changed.

If you want to post these I would be willing to help.

One other thought, not sure if you want to keep debugging or if you want to throw in the towel, but if you have an extra SD card it is very easy to install picoreplayer on an SD card and reboot the pi with it to see if that might work out of the box for some reason. You basically just download a 60mb file, burn to a SD card and boot. Given you have a USB card you may have to go to the web interface, list the ALSA devices and select the right one but it is very simple/user friendly. Probably a 5-10min exercise in total.

Picoreplayer can be found at https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home if you want to have a look.
                    the only setting I changed was to make the usb my default
                    SL_SOUNDCARD="front:CARD=Device,DEV=0

pi@MasterBedRoomPI ~ $ squeezelite -l
                    -bash: squeezelite: command not found

Thanks!
                    shane

Comment

So I have a usb card I tried with it as well and I see the same issue. Music works fine but TTS there's no sound. Maybe PCP and tell us if there's anything different between streaming music and playing TTS in the plug-in. Either way it does seem to be dependent on the hardware since TTS worked fine on the pie internal soundcard. I will play around a little more to see if I can figure it out

Comment

When you ran:

Code:
                        sudo alsamixer
                        And then pressed F6 to select a sound device, what was listed?

Would you be able to post. I got mine working. The following are my listed ALSA devices:

Code:
                        Output devices:
                          null                           - Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
                          sysdefault:CARD=EarMicrophone  - USB Ear-Microphone, USB Audio - Default Audio Device
                          front:CARD=EarMicrophone,DEV=0 - USB Ear-Microphone, USB Audio - Front speakers
                          surround40:CARD=EarMicrophone,DEV=0 - USB Ear-Microphone, USB Audio - 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
                          surround41:CARD=EarMicrophone,DEV=0 - USB Ear-Microphone, USB Audio - 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
                          surround50:CARD=EarMicrophone,DEV=0 - USB Ear-Microphone, USB Audio - 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
                          surround51:CARD=EarMicrophone,DEV=0 - USB Ear-Microphone, USB Audio - 5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
                          surround71:CARD=EarMicrophone,DEV=0 - USB Ear-Microphone, USB Audio - 7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
                          iec958:CARD=EarMicrophone,DEV=0 - USB Ear-Microphone, USB Audio - IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
                          sysdefault:CARD=ALSA           - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Default Audio Device
                        I selected "sysdefault:CARD=EarMicrophone" for my output device. So your setting (using my card) would be:

Code:
                        SL_SOUNDCARD="sysdefault:CARD=EarMicrophone"
                        My guess is this selects the soundcard rather than just one of the channels. If you see my last device "sysdefault:CARD=ALSA"...that is the internal Pi soundcard. So I would expect yours to be "sysdefault:CARD=[Name of your sound card]"

Either post your list of ALSA devices and I will try to help out or if the above is enough of a guide, let me know how things turn out!

Comment

When you ran:

Code:
                          sudo alsamixer

Would you be able to post. I got mine working. The following are my listed ALSA devices:

Code:
                          Output devices:
                            null                           - Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
                            sysdefault:CARD=EarMicrophone  - USB Ear-Microphone, USB Audio - Default Audio Device
                            surround40:CARD=EarMicrophone,DEV=0 - USB Ear-Microphone, USB Audio - 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
                            surround41:CARD=EarMicrophone,DEV=0 - USB Ear-Microphone, USB Audio - 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
                            surround50:CARD=EarMicrophone,DEV=0 - USB Ear-Microphone, USB Audio - 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
                            surround51:CARD=EarMicrophone,DEV=0 - USB Ear-Microphone, USB Audio - 5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
                            surround71:CARD=EarMicrophone,DEV=0 - USB Ear-Microphone, USB Audio - 7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
                            iec958:CARD=EarMicrophone,DEV=0 - USB Ear-Microphone, USB Audio - IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
                            sysdefault:CARD=ALSA           - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Default Audio Device
                          I selected "sysdefault:CARD=EarMicrophone" for my output device. So your setting (using my card) would be:

Code:
                          My guess is this selects the soundcard rather than just one of the channels. If you see my last device "sysdefault:CARD=ALSA"...that is the internal Pi soundcard. So I would expect yours to be "sysdefault:CARD=[Name of your sound card]"

Either post your list of ALSA devices and I will try to help out or if the above is enough of a guide, let me know how things turn out!

null - Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
                          default:CARD=ALSA - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Default Audio Device
                          sysdefault:CARD=ALSA - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Default Audio Device
                          default:CARD=Device - C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio - Default Audio Device
                          sysdefault:CARD=Device - C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio - Default Audio Device
                          front:CARD=Device,DEV=0 - C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio - Front speakers
                          surround40:CARD=Device,DEV=0 - C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio - 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
                          surround41:CARD=Device,DEV=0 - C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio - 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
                          surround50:CARD=Device,DEV=0 - C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio - 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
                          surround51:CARD=Device,DEV=0 - C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio - 5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
                          surround71:CARD=Device,DEV=0 - C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio - 7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
                          iec958:CARD=Device,DEV=0 - C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio - IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output

Comment

When you ran:

Code:
                            sudo alsamixer

Code:
                            Output devices:

Code:

THANK YOU!!! I used default:CARD=Device and it all works!! Plays music and TTS

Comment

That's great...good result.

Comment

Great news that you got it to work.

Comment

Working...
                                X