Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I check with Rich @ HST, he said most plugins aren't compatible with the original Hometroller Zee. However the newer Zee S2 will run standard plugins.
    Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
    Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
    Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
    Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Insteon Hub and PLM

I have the Insteon Hub, 2245-222R (there are already several versions). Mine does not have X10 support. I would be happy to try out beta versions and do some testing. I also have the 2413U PLM for X10 support, and the CM15A.

The Hub UI works but is very limited in its features, besides not having any X10 support.

After over 20 years of X10 and later, Insteon, for various reasons, I decided that I was fed up with Insteon and their strange app. This past weekend I installed Homeseer and the MSInsteon plugin . I am still working on getting things configured on Homeseer to control my Insteon devices.

Comment

Originally posted by leerobinson View Post
        I have the Insteon Hub, 2245-222R (there are already several versions). Mine does not have X10 support. I would be happy to try out beta versions and do some testing. I also have the 2413U PLM for X10 support, and the CM15A.

The Hub UI works but is very limited in its features, besides not having any X10 support.

After over 20 years of X10 and later, Insteon, for various reasons, I decided that I was fed up with Insteon and their strange app. This past weekend I installed Homeseer and the MSInsteon plugin . I am still working on getting things configured on Homeseer to control my Insteon devices.
        Welcome to the forum. I post Betas to the Beta section of the Updater and have a dedicate beta thread in the forum for feedback. My suggestion is to get things working before you jump into the betas.
        Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
        Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
        Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
        Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

working with 2413U should I try my Hub?

I have things working with my 2413U, except for the motion detector, 2842-222. Am looking for info on using my hub with the plugin. Except I don't think my hub has X10 support. Is there at way to use both the 2413U and the hub at the same time? Is there any advantage to using the hub over using the 2413U?

I was looking for the thread on the beta. I'll go back and look some more to see if I can find it.

Comment

I have things working with my 2413U, except for the motion detector, 2842-222. Am looking for info on using my hub with the plugin. Except I don't think my hub has X10 support. Is there at way to use both the 2413U and the hub at the same time? Is there any advantage to using the hub over using the 2413U?

I was looking for the thread on the beta. I'll go back and look some more to see if I can find it.
            you can't use both interfaces at once. the plugin only supports a single interface.

turns out the 2245 still supports x10 via my plugin.
            Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Is it difficult to change from the 2413U to the 2245? How do I arrange to use the hub? Is that a beta version? I don't see a way to configure for it in the Configuration Page

Comment

Is it difficult to change from the 2413U to the 2245? How do I arrange to use the hub? Is that a beta version? I don't see a way to configure for it in the Configuration Page
                the swap procedure is documented in another thread.

Basically, you enter the local ip address colon port number (example 192.168.1.12:25105) into the same field as you put COMx. then click save, and then enter the local username and pswd. The plugin should connect to the hub.

then you run the swap interface routine on the plugin config page. this reprograms any device on your network with the new interface insteon id. this routine isn't 100%. you may have to manually reprogram some devices to get them to work.
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Swapping from PLM to Hub - update

Couple of minor points and questions:

I love the switch interface functionality - this must save users like me a TON of work! Good job Mark!

My Insteon Hub device is now no longer listed in devices (good), but 2 links remain listed as unrecognized in Main Config page. How can I safely delete any remaining references to the Hub as a device?

Any reason that device links are not sorted by the Link # ? It would be more logical to show them in numerical order of the link #, but maybe (just maybe) there is some hidden logic in the order that they are displayed... Just curious!

Now just have to go fix all my unrecognized device IDs....

Comment

It's a schoosh - thanks to Mark's swap interface detection... Just did it.

Go into Insteon plugin config page and change 'COM 3' to the IP address:Port of the Hub. Click Continue. Page will refresh with error - now enter the username and password shown on the hub sticker (don't enter admin as in Mark's doc). Now restart HS3. It will detect that Insteon interface has changed and give you the new Insteon interface ID (Hub) and the old one (PLM), and ask you what address you want to use to re-program the links into the new interface. I think 99% of users will want to use their old PLM ID here...

I had lots of tidy up (duplicate links, unregistered devices, etc.) - since I had been battling to use the PLM alongside the Hub for months (not recommended!)

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by amr42 View Post
                      Couple of minor points and questions:

I love the switch interface functionality - this must save users like me a TON of work! Good job Mark!

My Insteon Hub device is now no longer listed in devices (good), but 2 links remain listed as unrecognized in Main Config page. How can I safely delete any remaining references to the Hub as a device?

Any reason that device links are not sorted by the Link # ? It would be more logical to show them in numerical order of the link #, but maybe (just maybe) there is some hidden logic in the order that they are displayed... Just curious!

Now just have to go fix all my unrecognized device IDs....
                      just following the unrecognized links from the source device, edit the links, select the ones to delete, and click the delete link button.

you can change link sort option on the main config page.
                      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

What should I do?

I have owned 2413S and two of the 2413U's. I actually had both 2413U's die and converted my 2413S to a U by swapping the daughter board. Worked great for quite a while and now it's dead as well... Yes, dead, no lights, no response, dead... these were all the older original revisions that are known to have capacitor issues. So that's almost $240 of dead units that all lasted just past their warranty and now are not working. So what does SmartHome have to say to all of our 1 Star reviews:

Smarthome Reply: We have identified an issue that effects Insteon PowerLinc Modem (2413S/U - revisions prior to 2.3) where in some circumstances a component may fail if exposed to prolonged and excessive heat. In these failures the PowerLinc Modem will cease to function. To prevent such an issue from occurring we introduced a hardware change that began shipping in January 2017 (Rev 2.3).
                        They say, "exposed to prolonged and excessive heat." What exposure??? All three of my units were no where near heat. It reads as if they are blaming us the users and will not fessup to a bad design that has cost so many of us $$$.

I have found multiple threads about replacing the capacitors for about $7 in parts and more in shipping so for about $14 in parts and shipping and time with a soldering iron.

I'm hesitant to spend yet another $79 to buy a 4th unit. Talk about built for obsolescence. Someone jokingly said we are buying a subscription LOL, guess I'm on my 4th renewal of my subscription...

Ok, enough complaining, I'd like to find a more dependable alternative but want to know the pros and cons... There seems to be two HUBs available now. The 2243-222 Home Kit Enabled one that's $149 and the one I'm seeing here, the 2245-222. Of course there's the subscription renewal option and buy a new 2.3 2413U... which one is truly the best?

The SmartHome page at http://www.insteon.com/insteon-hub-homekit shows a side-by-side on the two HUBs but not compared to the 2413U...

Any suggestions ?? I'm dead in the water now...

Thanks,
                        Rich

Comment

Unless you want to interface with Apple stuff, why not get the 2245-222, currently on sale for $79?

I've gone Hub several years ago. I had one RMA with a previous model (2242-222). I've had my current 2245-222 since May, so don't have long term reliability experience with this model.

Some have said that the serial is much faster than the Hub: that may true, but to what extent? I see instantaneous response with the Hub, perceived anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by claude View Post
                            Unless you want to interface with Apple stuff, why not get the 2245-222, currently on sale for $79?....
                            Well I actually use an iPhone and iPad as does the rest of the family, but I noticed at the link I had in my original message that the more expensive Home Kit enabled HUB actually lacks some of the ability of the lower cost one?

I haven't had any luck yet finding a comparison between the HUB and the 2413U other than possibly the HUB not supporting the older X10. I don't have any older X10 modules I care that much about so that's not a big reason to stick with the 2413U.

I was hoping to hear from the great "Overlord" of Insteon to see how if he had a compelling reason I should give the new generation of 2413U another try and renew my "subscription"...

Comment

I put my X10 stuff to the graveyard quite a while ago, but FYI the 2245-222 does support X10 as well as M. Sandler's plugin.

I have no experience though as to how efficient the Hub is at handling X10.

Comment

Originally posted by rjbur View Post
                                Well I actually use an iPhone and iPad as does the rest of the family, but I noticed at the link I had in my original message that the more expensive Home Kit enabled HUB actually lacks some of the ability of the lower cost one?

I haven't had any luck yet finding a comparison between the HUB and the 2413U other than possibly the HUB not supporting the older X10. I don't have any older X10 modules I care that much about so that's not a big reason to stick with the 2413U.

I was hoping to hear from the great "Overlord" of Insteon to see how if he had a compelling reason I should give the new generation of 2413U another try and renew my "subscription"...
                                If you have been using 2413U v1.x units, it is definitely worth trying a v2.x unit. the v2 units provide a stronger signal and more robust components (ie reliable).

the hub is really a stand alone controller whereas the plm requires software (like hs) to interface with the outside world. they both support the same insteon cmd set.

you might consider a whole house surge suppressor to control surges that are blowing out your devices/plms.
                                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5

Comment

Working...
                                X