TVMC to a smart server?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TVMC to a smart server?

Hi, I have a HP smart media server (which currently not using) that was given to me by a friend. It came with software that you add to any other PC so that it can chat within them self to interchange info and backups. Up to this point I am fine.

I was wondering if it was possible to use this server with TVmc (which I think is the same as xbmc)? I am not no computer guru so bare with me, if this is possible, how do you connect the server to the TV? What ports should my tv have to achieve connecting it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Hector
    MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
    AP800,Honeywell Stat

Kodi (XBMC) and Microsoft Media Center are different applications. XBMC has its roots in XBox media center. That said wiki

The software was originally produced as a independently developed (homebrew) media player application named Xbox Media Center (abbreviated as XBMC) for the first-generation Xbox game console, and was later made available under the name Kodi (formerly XBMC) as a native application for Android, Linux, BSD, Mac OS X, iOS, and Microsoft Windows based operating systems. It is also available as a standalone version referred to as Kodibuntu.

To connect to your televison you can utilize an HDMI or DVI to HDMI cable. Audio can be via optical or analog output. (Digital).
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

It would appear that tvmc is XBMC (Kodi) with some add-ons preconfigured And it also looks like it's designed for streaming video.

What exactly do you mean by "connect the server to the tv"?
      Originally posted by rprade
      There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post

What exactly do you mean by "connect the server to the tv"?
        To stream to it.... Now that Pete mentioned HDMI I need to check if the server has this connection. But if it did, it means I need to have server closer to the TV or get a ext. cable.... Humm
        Hector
        MyTrigger,ACRF2,W800,Zwave
        AP800,Honeywell Stat

Comment

Might be easier space wise to utilize the HP Smart Media Server as a NAS for everything and then build a tiny RPi2 ($35) with Kodi.

What are the CPU / memory specs of the HP Smart Media Server? I would suggest putting the NAS box on the network in a wired network fashion rather than a wireless methodology.

You can manage the Kodi box with the Microsoft Media remote control. I have read that Kodi works well with the RPi2. Basically all you have to do with the Kodi box is map your media to it. It will catalog all your stuff with icons. Relating to the internet streaming it comes with a bunch of music audio / video streaming stuff.

TVMC (TVAddons) is kind of a special multimedia plugin for XBMC. Best to read about it.

Neato thing about Kodi is that you can run it on Android, Windows or Linux (not sure today if it runs on iOS). You can test play with it by downloading the USB stick version of it and boot up your HP Smart Media Server to get an idea about it. Here I run it on KodiBuntu (tiny Linux version of it). The GUI is identical whatever the OS is.

Here is some Kodi RPi stuff.

Here is a XBMC step by step for an HP Smart Media Server from 2011.

[WHS] Getting the Most from XBMC and Windows Home Server Step-by-Step Guide
          Last edited by Pete; May 29, 2015, 10:17 AM.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
          X