Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your baseline power/electricty usage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your baseline power/electricty usage?

Further to a previous thread I thought I'd start a poll on people's baseline energy consumption. (http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=129203).

I guess the best concept of baseline power usage is the usage with the essential devices running. Basically how much electricty the house uses when you are not at home or asleep. See the forementioned thread and you get the idea. It's measured in watts or kilowatts (W or KW).

I tried to google this to see if our baseline (1.1 KW) was excessive but it's hard to find a simple answer. So a poll might be a better way of seeing what everyone else is getting.

Cheers, Marty.
    Less than 250 watts
    7.27%
    250 to 500 watts
    12.73%
    500 to 1000 watts
    43.64%
    1000 to 1500 watts
    20.00%
    more than 1500 watts
    16.36%
    Last edited by mminehan; May 26, 2015, 08:44 PM. Reason: typos
    iCore5 Win 10 Pro x64 SSD

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 Windows

BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

Will be interesting to see where this goes.

Might have been better to break down the power bands above to be more granular.

A lot of folks see to run one or two servers 24/7 with VMs on them (as I do) so its hard to stay below 1kw (including sundry items around the home).

It would be interesting to see what power saving strategies folks are using while keeping the WAF in check!

David
    ---------------------------------------------------http://weather.penicuik.org

Comment

Comment

About 350 watts here with the house unoccupied. Half of that is what I call HA equipment like HS server, CCTV cameras, NAS, Ethernet switches, WiFi access points, Z-Wave modules etc... The rest is made up of general domestic appliances like fridges, TV / AV gear (stand-by), heating system (stand-by), alarm system etc...

Depending on the weather, total annual consumption here is around 10,000 kWh which includes a fair amount of outdoor lighting, a hot tub and about 15 m2 of electric under floor heating.

About 4000 kWh is offset by renewable's so net consumption from the grid is about 6000 kWh.

Paul..

Comment

It will take me 15 years to recover what I've spent trying to lower my usage.

I've been working to get my total usage down for about year now:

Environment Details:

1) All Electric House Located in MD
          2) Middle Unit Townhouse Build in 84 ~1200sq' (average leakage)
          3) 5 Computers Hibernating including a WHS with about 18 HDD.
          4) 1 Computer runs 24/7 for survalance and HA. (~75w)
          5) 5 Camera's running 24/7
          6) HE heat pump (17.5 SEER), & Washing Machine
          7) 1 Freezer ~7 years old, 1 Refrigerator ~18 years old
          8) ~8" of attic insulation
          9) Windows and doors are ~7 year Old, Low-E, Argon filled
          10) Water heater is on a timer
          11) All AV Equipment (except TV's) on smart plugs, (so no standby power)

With all of that control, I run about ~ 575-850w of standby usage.

I think my 18 year old refrigerator is killing me with an average of about 189w while running. Couple that with inefficient ~450w defrost cycles..

Future Step:
          1) Replace Ref.
          2) Add more insulation to attic.
          3) ??

EDIT: Oh and I forgot just about every light bulb is LED.
          Last edited by ServiceXp; May 27, 2015, 01:25 PM.
          RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Here, my electric hot water heater, electric dryer and HVAC account for the bulk of my electricity usage. Converting them to gas may not be cost effective given the wild swings in LP prices.
            HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
            54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
            Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

So this would be very difficult to baseline. For myself, I have winter usage and then summer usage. The later would include extra goodies like running the pool pump (1000 watts), watering the lawn (I'm on a well) so that kicks in and out at about 700 watts or so. Air conditioning (big time 6000 watts).

My summer baseline and winter differ immensely.

I can get by with 17kwh to 22 kwh per day during the winter. Summer, well... just turned on the AC yesterday with the pool and minor watering 47 kwh.

Got to say, I love Spring and Fall as far as energy usage is concerned.
              HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Wow....some people are getting low values (250w and 300w). That's pretty impressive. Time to go hunting for those energy parasites. I think things like decoders/DVRs use a quite bit on standby.

Might have been better to break down the power bands above to be more granular.
                I didn't want to dilute the results with too many options. But it seems there are a lot of people in the 500 to 1000w band.

We have a pool too. But our variable speed pump uses only 150w at low speed. It's cheaper to run it longer at a slower speed. The energy vs flow graph is exponential. So it is less efficient the faster it runs.

I know our automation (HS, BlueIris, decoders, PS3, AV receiver, whole house audio, PoE network switch, cameras, router etc) all in a server rack via a 3000VA UPS uses about 400 to 500w. The rest is 2 fridge freezers, digital lighting which uses about 60w with everything off, fire protection, alarm, and all those devices on standby and power supplies. It's a 385m2 house (about 4100 sq feet).

I might be able to save a few extra 100w but getting under 500w will be a real struggle.....and will probably have a negative impact on the WAF.

We do have a 2.5kW solar array which offsets our daytime usage (not included in these basal energy calculations). We try to put the washing machine, dishwasher etc on time delays to come on when then array is generating excess electrcity.

Marty

BLOccupied:,Device History:,Yamaha:,UltraMon3:,mcsXap:,Restart:,UltraNetatmo3:, UltraM1G3:,Ultra1Wire3:,BLBackup:,Harmony Hub:,DoorBird:,UltraECM3:,Nanoleaf 3P:,UltraRachio3:,Z-Wave:,SDJ-Health:,BLGarbage:,Blue-Iris:,Chromecast:,Pushover 3P:,EasyTrigger:

Comment

We use 300-350w an hour when we sleep.

Around 4000 KWH a year and that's what we get from the solar array. :-)

I run 3 NUC servers.

Regards
                  Morten

Comment

Marty,

Not meaning to deviate this thread too much, but what pool pump do you use? I was thinking to change out my pump. I'd prefer to run your pump 24hrs a day to maintain turnover and save 5kwh of energy than run mine for 8 hrs.

Robert
                    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

http://www.astralpool.com.au/product...ronp600evopump

This is the pump. If you look at the specifications you'll see the energy consumption.

Marty

Comment

About 500-800W.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                          So this would be very difficult to baseline. For myself, I have winter usage and then summer usage. The later would include extra goodies like running the pool pump (1000 watts), watering the lawn (I'm on a well) so that kicks in and out at about 700 watts or so. Air conditioning (big time 6000 watts).

My summer baseline and winter differ immensely.

I can get by with 17kwh to 22 kwh per day during the winter. Summer, well... just turned on the AC yesterday with the pool and minor watering 47 kwh.

Got to say, I love Spring and Fall as far as energy usage is concerned.
                          I have to echo Langenet exactly...pool pump, a/c makes Summers gruesome from an electric usage factor. But from a wife acceptance factor (gotta love two piece...or less...swimsuits) it makes the higher usage tolerable.

Comment

Interesting and timely thread. I actually have no idea where our baseline is, but I suspect it's > 1000W, maybe > 1500W. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of a couple of GreenEye Monitors plus current transformers to monitor every circuit in our house (44 of them!). Our electric bill is somewhere close to the GDP of a small country in the summer...

I'll post more once I'm able to measure our usage.
                            HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
                            Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
                            Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
                            Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

Just started digging into energy usage since Christmas. Discovered two electric baseboard heaters drawing 100% of their rated power, but putting out very little heat. They were more then half of our always on power. Now will spend time tracking down other high usage items which can be eliminated. Being in Ontario we get high heat bills in winter and high cooling bills in summer.
                              Installed a Neurio after Christmas. Not pleased with its ability to detect what is running. But the overall usage measurement seem to be very accurate.

Comment

Working...
                              X