This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate connected thermostat

What is the best way to control a SG connected thermostat from HS? I have an RCS RS485 thermostat.
    -Tim

HSPro - 3.XXX - Dell mini W7 x32
    Way2 Call
    Elk M1 Gold
    UPB HAI switches
    HAI RC2000 Thermostat

In general, I've found that having a SG event that does what you want is the best approach. You can then have a trigger like a flag going on or a variable changing value to trigger the event from HS. Can you be more specific about what you want to do?
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

For starters I'd simply like to setback the thermostat when the alarm is set. I have the caddx running on HS with a plug in instead of directly on SG.

So I can do that with flags.

In the end I'd like to have a graphical thermostat on HSTouch with all the options available.
      -Tim

Way2 Call
      Elk M1 Gold
      UPB HAI switches
      HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

I am looking at the same situation and have just about decided to get the RS485 to RS232 adapter and move the thermostats directly to HS. I think this is the only way to get a nice graphical HSTouch type thermostat control.

Alternatively I am thinking of replacing my RCS thermostat with an Insteon model and controlling it through the ISY plugin. Not sure which would give me the better graphical interface screen.

Comment

Originally posted by email68 View Post
          For starters I'd simply like to setback the thermostat when the alarm is set. I have the caddx running on HS with a plug in instead of directly on SG.

So I can do that with flags.
          That is how I would do it. I have both the alarm and the thermostat attached to SG, but it's the same process. When the alarm is set, SG loads our 'away' set points. When the alarm is cleared it loads the 'home' set points. You could easily do the same with flags set and cleared by HS.

In the end I'd like to have a graphical thermostat on HSTouch with all the options available.
          In that case, I think you'll eventually want to have the thermostat linked to HS rather than SG. We tend to leave the TStat alone, so have not seen a need to make adjusting it easier.
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Thanks Uncle Mike.

UpstateMike - I did not know that HS could directly control the RCS RS485 tstats with a RS232 adapter. Is there a plug in for that?
            -Tim

Way2 Call
            Elk M1 Gold
            UPB HAI switches
            HAI RC2000 Thermostat

Comment

RCS Serial plugin

Comment

Stargate connected RCS Thermostats and Homeseer

Hi Fols

I have RCS Thermostats connected to a SG ( via RS485). Taking advantage of its firmware built-in capability, the temp readings/set point settings are enabled and displayed through the Stargate Wall Display Units LCD96M ( I have 7 Home zones with those LCD Keypads).

I would not like to lose that convenience and functionality so I would rather keep the RCS thermostats connected to the Stargate, However I am willing as well to poll and control the Thermostats through Homeseer, but unfortunately the SG plug-in is not enabled to read/control Stargate connected thermostats variables.

Has anyone figure out how to do this or can anyone give me ideas in how to accomplished, maybe defining variables in SG and polling those from HS but I am not sure how to convey those variables into HS Thermostat variables that can be displayed in any of the HS user interfaces. Even more challenging would be how from HS control the SG connected Thermostats via variable/flag approach

Appreciate in advance your help

Comment

If you want to continue to use the LCD keypads to control your thermostats, then I would recommend leaving them connected to SG. In the end it's going to be a trade-off between the value (to you) of maintaining your current setup and the "fun" and "adventure" of exploring other options which might offer advantages in functionality and updated appearance (but little practical benefit, I suspect).

On the other hand, I am convinced that the SG plug-in has some serious limitations. I found that the performance of my system improved noticeably when I stopped using it. At the very least, I would strongly recommend that you avoid adding functionality that increases the data exchange burden between HS and SG, and if you can, try to reduce it as much as possible.

Another consideration is that if you make the transition to HS3 you will be forced to find another alternative at that point.

Comment

Working...
                  X