X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 10 is invasive.

Now, isn't this just lovely?

http://www.rt.com/usa/311304-new-windows-privacy-issues/
    HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
    Home Assistant 2024.3
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
    Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
    Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
    WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
    AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

I thought Windows 10 was perfect?
    Attached Files
    Originally posted by rprade
    There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Better put on your tin hats...the world is ending! Google, Apple, Amazon, Facebook, etc. have been doing this for YEARS. Pretty simple, if you are connected to the internet, big companies know what you are doing. To think otherwise is pretty naive in my opinion.
      Bryan
      Software/Hardware: Win10 Pro, HS 3 Pro, HS Touch, Echo, Edgeport/4, Z-Net w/88 Devices, Insteon PLM w/19 Devices, Nest, GC-100-6, W800RF32A, WS-2080 Weather Station (KMADRACU10)
      Plug-in/Scripts: Alexa API, BLBackup, BLGData, BLLED, BLLock, BLRF, BLTVGuide, Blue Iris, BLUPS, Current Cost 3P, DirectTV, FitbitSeer, Insteon, Nest, Pushover 3P, Random, Restart, Tasker, UltraGCIR3, UltraWeatherWU, Z-Wave

Comment

The ideology of using metrics/logistics is easily presented and utilized and is always a win win for the presenter and user (?)

Windows by default is the most widely utilized operating system in the world. As said above it's been done now for many many years.

It is presented as a taste and mostly it is gobbled up by said users. Look at what is running on your cell phone these days and mostly folks pay for the transport always wanting more and faster. (more of what and faster what?)

Unrelated but here was involved with the banking industry in the 1990's and machines that dispensed cash called ATM's. While I did do the doo of deployments everywhere of these machines (it was a project of sorts); I wouldn't use them and preferred walking up to a teller in a bank and just getting cash well until the middle 2000's. Don't ask me why and it really doesn't matter today and I will not say any ways.

Personally just go along with it.

It will be easier where as not doing it will become much more difficult.

While keeping up with technology; I still prefer to read typed pages in a book which doesn't require batteries and do write little post it notes.

Concurrently though do take a tablet with me sometimes when I have to wait somewhere(s).

Just the other day showed a senior of around 80 something how easy it was to read the news from multiple resources on the internet. He was amazed then went back to reading his news print paper.

I do not feel guilty doing this (using paper); but I am older these days.

Paper has become a bit nostalgic these days. Well too it is really slow these days.
        Last edited by Pete; August 1, 2015, 11:45 AM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by TechHA View Post
          Better put on your tin hats...the world is ending!
          An informed consumer is an empowered consumer. This is still not a bad idea, has a long history of effectiveness, and is priced right.
          HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
          Home Assistant 2024.3
          Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
          Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
          Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
          WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
          AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

If Redmond is concerned about my mundane internet activities, then they have nothing better to do. I hope they dont waste too many resources on me.
            HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
            54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
            Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Hmmm, Please show me a Microsoft OS EULA, before windows 8 (or even August 1st for that matter) that you gave permission to allow MS to record/store/ and sell your keyboard strokes by default?

Not sure why, but I'm always surprised by the "hum drum" attitude of people these days. Especially considering the high level data breaches over the last few years.. Add the past history of governments/leaders abuse of such power.... Crazy I say, Just crazy...

I think the masses of people these days wouldn't even put up a fight to the ovens....
              RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
                I thought Windows 10 was perfect?

HAHA, love it(pic)!!!

Sent from my iPhone
                Tom
                baby steps...starting again with HS3
                HS3Pro: Z-NET & 80 Z wave Devices,
                HSTouch: 4 Joggler (Android Kitkat), 2 iPhone, 3 iPads
                Whole House Audio: 5 SqueezePlay Jogglers w Bose Speakers
                In The Works: 10 Cameras Geovision, new Adecmo/Envisalink Alarm, Arduinos
                System: XP on Fanless Mini-ITX w/ SSD

Comment

Well really you can just boot up via a USB stick to Tails and utilize Tor for browsing. I am right now typing this message using the very secure OS.

It does boot up in a matter of seconds and surfing here is just as fast as anything else in the home today.

That said there have been efforts to dissuade the use of said OS written originally here by the same folks stating not to use it today because it is bad and evil.

So I did a what is my IP...and see...

City: steinsel
                  State/Region: luxembourg
                  Postal Code: l-7349
                  Time Zone: ETC +02:00
                  ISP: root sa

Still do not know what the brouhaha is all about any ways relating to Windows 10.0 as folks have no qualms about talking or writing about themselves on social sites or tweeting bowel movements on the internet....well except for some of those places around the world...kind of being between a rock and hard place. (virtually writing)...wonder what Alexa has to say about Windows 10.0?

well back now home...virtually...whew I am out breath...too fast for me....

City: xyz
                  State/Region: xyz
                  Postal Code: xyz
                  Time Zone: xyz
                  ISP: xyz
                  Last edited by Pete; August 1, 2015, 01:00 PM.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

While I personally agree with the sentiment that my life is probably too mundane for anyone to really care much about my doings, I am still not at all comfortable with the steady and rapid rise of mass surveillance. It's gotten completely out of hand where I live. A few weeks back I got pulled over by the police and had my car towed at 5:00 AM on my way to the dog park with my canine. Apparently my license was suspended and had been for a few weeks. The registry sent me no letter of warning. I had violated no other traffic laws. The cops have some sort of OCR gear that scans all license plates. The license suspension turned out to be someone else's error and I got it back in due course, Well after paying $2,420 in fines. I have yet to go to court for the matter so I'll probably rack up a few more fines there too. Several nights later at 11 PM the police converged on my house with lights on and came up my driveway. I went outside with my hands up in clear sight to see what the issue was. After being interrogated and given some patently phony answers to my questions they departed. I later checked the police log about the incident and it was entirely falsified.

There are a LOT of people/entities in our society with enormous power and they don't always have the purest of intentions. I very much would like to lay low and just try to blend in. If they don't see me then hopefully they won't think of me when they're having a bad hair day and are looking for a suitable object for their violence.

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
                      The license suspension turned out to be someone else's error and I got it back in due course, Well after paying $2,420 in fines.
                      Really

That is a scary amount of fines. That is more than a month of the median wage earner's income.
                      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Really scary there S-F.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Yeah. And by many people's standards I'm pretty poor to boot. These days I just get by. What with a 10 year mortgage and an abject addiction to home automation. It cleaned me out and I couldn't drive for work for a week to boot. So I went to NYC for a week to spend time with a lady.

Comment

Very odd S-F....

...here a few years ago while getting ready to board a plane noticed (I didn't cuz I never look at my drivers license) that my drivers license had expired (3 years before)...as I went through first part of check in it was brought up to me...well and I was told to take care of it which I did....

That said I did rent a car at my destination and the rental car agency never noticed the expired license and I was able to rent the car and use it with no issues...

I was expecting just to pay for the new license and had to take the test and all that stuff....which I wasn't really expecting to do...I did initially think it was going to take 5 minutes and it did not take 5 minutes...

...maybe here looking older than I feel these days...

Yup here very addicted to that automation thing....yesterday wanted to move the RPi2 in the attic to the other side of the attic and found a non terminated Cat5e cable. I used a toner to find which patch panel I had left the cable unterminated at. I had not marked the cable (bad thing). With the toner and a good part of my day I terminated the cable. I did make it an all morning project as I did enjoy what I was doing and it fed my automation habit.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

But wait there's more...

I'm not sure those on metered accounts will appreciate this little gem....

Windows 10 uses your internet connection to share updates with others across the internet.
                              RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Working...
                              X