Schlage, Kwikset or Yale, Pros Cons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schlage, Kwikset or Yale, Pros Cons

I am thinking of adding a automated lock or deadbolt and trying z-wave.

What are the pros, cons and feelings about Schlage, Kwikset and Yale.

Kwikset looks good but you can only enter two entry codes.

I need advise!

Thanks,

I have Schlage handles, deadbolts and Kwickset deadbolts. The 2 code restriction you mention is only for non-z-wave setup. You can program 19 or 20 (I think) codes through the HomeSeer interface for all of them.

I'm a big fan of the Schlage handle locks. They work very well and are very easy to use. I like both my Schlage and Kwickset deadbolts for different reasons:

Schlage:
    - Full 10 digit keypad
    - Cool blue backlight
    - Have to manually turn the deadbolt once unlocked - not my favorite but the big benefit is if your door isn't 100% aligned, it gives you a z-wave lock without any chance for binding. For example, if you have a door that has to be pushed in slightly to have the lock work, an automated bolt won't be helpful.
    - All codes are 4 digits only

Kwickset
    - Has 5 buttons for 10 numbers meaning button 1 shares 1&2. This means that code 13579 is the same key sequence as 24680
    - Green button backlight
    - Deadbolt is automated so you can remotely retract or engage the deadbolt through z-wave without having to be there to turn the handle. Again, this is only a good option if your door doesn't require any pulling/pushing to get the deadbolt to fully engage
    - Codes can be up to 8 digits long - so you loose some security from having 5 number buttons instead of 10 but you can make up for it by doubling the code length.
    - Has Smartkey feature so if you have other Smartkey Kwiksets, you can rekey the over-ride key yourself.
    - Has issues with battery polling - the battery status you see in Homeseer won't change from 100% unless batteries are pulled and re-inserted. It's a minor annoyance but the lock will usually beep a series of tones when you are using it to indicate a low battery.

I don't have any experience with the Yale locks.

For exterior doors (facing directly to the front porch vs. going to the garage), I would recommend the Kwikset if your door is properly aligned. I like the ability to have a longer code and the main thing is I can have the deadbolt lock automatically or remotely. I have an "away" event that is tied to when my alarm is set to away that will automatically lock the deadbolt after 1 minute if I have forgotten to lock it. With the Schlage, all you can do is have Homeseer tell you that it's unlocked but if no one is there to turn the deadbolt, it doesn't do you a whole lot of good.

Comment

So you like Schlage for door handles and Kwikset for deadbolts.

I am going to try a Kwikset deadbolt to start and see how that works.

I am glad that there are more than two codes when used with HomeSeer.

What plugins if any will I have to install?

Which Z-wave controller would be recomended and should I add a few lamp modules to increase the range through the house?

Comment

Originally posted by DomIII View Post
        So you like Schlage for door handles and Kwikset for deadbolts.

I am going to try a Kwikset deadbolt to start and see how that works.

I am glad that there are more than two codes when used with HomeSeer.

What plugins if any will I have to install?
        No plug-in is need for use of the locks
        Which Z-wave controller would be recomended and should I add a few lamp modules to increase the range through the house?
        Either the Aeon-Labs Z-Stick or The Z-Troller - I like the Z-Troller myself(like gauges more than idiot lights). If you are just grtting startrd with Z-Wave and the Locks are the major device look at devices that are 4.52 or 5.02 compliant(support beaming) I like the Yale Locks especially the touchscreen version - have all 3 manufacturers in my network

Comment

How do you program codes through HS2 or HSTouch? I've been using the trial of HS2 for a few days now to decide if I should purchase it or a Vera. So far I've got a few lights, motion sensors, and a Kwikset lock added. I can lock and unlock the Kwikset from HS2 and HSTouch but I haven't been able to figure out how to set codes, expire codes, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by wyld View Post
            How do you program codes through HS2 or HSTouch?
            You can't yet. It's due to some encryption issues but I believe Rick said he was looking to add this in the future.
            💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
              You can't yet. It's due to some encryption issues but I believe Rick said he was looking to add this in the future.
              Rupp, unless I'm misunderstanding something, you definitely CAN program user codes through HS2. There is no option to set them to expire, however. This feature has always been in the software, ever since we released lock support.

Comment

Yes, sorry about not being clear. I was speaking on the expiration.

Comment

So how is it done? I don't see any lock interface or anything.

Comment

So how is it done? I don't see any lock interface or anything.
                    If the Kwikset is anything like the Schlage, you go into the root device that was imported, then choose "User Codes"
                    Attached Files
                    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Thanks! I'll check that when I get home. I was looking under the "Lock" device before.

Comment

Is this accessible from HSTouch also? I like the idea of being able to create a code if I'm out of town if I need to let some one in and then delete it when they are done.

Comment

Is this accessible from HSTouch also? I like the idea of being able to create a code if I'm out of town if I need to let some one in and then delete it when they are done.
                          No, I dont think you would be able to create a code under HSTouch without some elaborate scripting. It would be difficult to do. However, you can access the web interface remotely and create a code. You would need to manually remove it when finished though.

I had a similar situation a while back. A physical therapist needed access to my home and I created a code for her. Since I couldnt make it 'active' for certain days, I setup HS to send me a text message anytime her code is entered. Since then, I have removed the code.
                          HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
                          54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
                          Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I went/am going to kind of the opposite end.

My front door is a Schalge dead bolt, and I have plans to get the Kwickset lever lock. My mudroom door is Schlage lever lock.

For the front door:
                            I like manually locking the dead bolt. In my new house, everything works well, so a Kwickset lock would probably be fine, however, past experience just makes me want to have a manually turning latch, just in case something shifts or twists, or moves.
                            However, the Schlage lever lock did not fit. The two devices together are too large to fit, unless you put one upsidedown. For a "normally" drilled out door. I have measured and believe that the Kwickset lever lock will fit on the front door with the Schalge dead bolt.

Other than that, my personal experience has been fantastic with both Schalge units. I hope my experience will be the same for the Kwickset lever lock.

--Dan
                            Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
                              No, I dont think you would be able to create a code under HSTouch without some elaborate scripting. It would be difficult to do. However, you can access the web interface remotely and create a code. You would need to manually remove it when finished though.

I had a similar situation a while back. A physical therapist needed access to my home and I created a code for her. Since I couldnt make it 'active' for certain days, I setup HS to send me a text message anytime her code is entered. Since then, I have removed the code.
                              I've done this through a script. It was more a can this work. So, with using a script I can add-remove passcodes to the locks in my house.

You'd be able to tie a script like that to HStouch if you really wanted to.

--Dan
                              Tasker, to a person who does Homeautomation...is like walking up to a Crack Treatment facility with a truck full of 3lb bags of crack. Then for each person that walks in and out smack them in the face with an open bag.

Comment

Working...
                              X