Please recommend light switches to go with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please recommend light switches to go with

I just purchased HS3PRO today. I am not too familiar yet with the different light switches / manufactures and am looking for guidance on recommendations for some of the top switches to consider. I'm not locked into a specific automation / comm. protocol yet for my HS3PRO controller.

Prefer nice looking switches. I am not looking for cheap light switches and don't want recommendations based only on price high/low.

Preferred color: off-white/beige
    Use: on/off and dimmer
    Primary bulbs: 40w - 60w incandescent

For reference, right now I have the Lutron digital dimmer light switches in my home (not for automation). These are nice looking and extra functionality than a basic switch.

Thank you!

http://www.simply-automated.com/prod...r_controls.php

tenholde
    tenholde

Comment

you should look into the Smarthome line of Insteon products

smarthome.com
      Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
      Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
      Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
      Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

+1 on UPB for light switches.

Utilize quad rockers today in the kitchen for multiple lighting scenes / areas that work independently from the automation controller.

Electric infrastructure is
        1 - metal boxes and conduit
        2 - plastic boxes and romex

Switch covers / choices
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Pete; February 10, 2016, 09:37 AM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

HomeSeer sells many Z-Wave light switches as well.
          http://store.homeseer.com/store/Lighting-C61.aspx

The beauty is HS3 will work with Z-Wave, Insteon, and UPB switches so you can pick the best of what's available and start installing.
          💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

For me the recommendation has to be Insteon. I don't have any experience with any of the others listed above but I have to say I love my Insteon. I had the Insteon switches installed in my house before I ever got into HS and It's the most reliable of the systems I run. I've had it installed for about 5 years and I had a couple of switches fail but that's it. What I like about this set up is that all the switches are being controlled by an ISY(controller) which integrates beautifully with HS but at the same time can still run on it's own. So if for soem reason you have any issues with HS your lights scenes will still function as long as they are programmed in the ISY.

Comment

Insteon or Zwave would be my vote.
              I use Leviton Zwave light switches with instant status updates, and Insteon dual outlet plugs. This way I can have a whole house Insteon and Zwave mesh!

Comment

you need to also consider the plugin that is going to support your hardware choice.
                Mark

HS3 Pro 4.2.19.5
                Hardware: Insteon Serial PLM | AD2USB for Vista Alarm | HAI Omnistat2 | 1-Wire HA7E | RFXrec433 | Dahua Cameras | LiftMaster Internet Gateway | Tuya Smart Plugs
                Plugins: Insteon (mine) | Vista Alarm (mine) | Omnistat 3 | Ultra1Wire3 | RFXCOM | HS MyQ | BLRadar | BLDenon | Tuya | Jon00 Charting | Jon00 Links
                Platform: Windows Server 2022 Standard, i5-12600K/3.7GHz/10 core, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD

Comment

Very true, I use your (Mark Sandler), Insteon Plugin, and the Homeseer native Zwave plugin. Both work very well, and have been very stable using the PLM 2413U for Insteon and Z-Net for Zwave.

Comment

Combination of Z-Wave (my primary tech) and Insteon are my preference. I installed some cheap Z-Wave dimmers several years ago, which I am now slowly replacing with dimmers that use a neutral wire and can support LED and CFL lights. I use Insteon for plug-in modules and have purchased (but not yet installed) Insteon fan modules. As Rupp said, the beauty is you can use any combination of tech and HomeSeer supports it!
                    HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
                    Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
                    Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
                    Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

I think if you read a lot of posts on this forum you'll see the most/majority use Z-Wave -- this thread doesn't seem representative of HS3's community at large (particularly the UPB recommendation). At some point, if you're committing to HS3, you'll find your way to Z-Wave. I'm actually surprised by the posts thus far in this thread!

In terms of Z-Wave switches, my preference is GE/Jasco. The switches are solid (have a good "feel" to them), and support instant status with HS3. Relatively reasonably priced, too. Some folks like Cooper switches.

Linear/Evolve/others also make switches. I have a few, just because they have different colors and accessory switches (which GE/Jasco doesn't). The quality doesn't feel the same compared to the GE/Jasco.

The big issue with mixing switches, to me, is aesthetic. Within the same room, GE/Jasco has blue LEDs, whereas most other manufacturers use green. Within the same junction box, GE/Jasco (to me) look nearly identical to other white Decora switches, whereas Linear and Evolve are slightly off-white and don't "look" exactly the same.

Hope this helps!

Comment

I decided to go with Cooper for most of the light switches based on the information in this chart by HS http://www.homeseer.com/compare-z-wa...-switches.html

Instant status was important to me as well as combined support for incandescent, CFL and LED in one switch. Reviews on Cooper RF switches seem mostly positive.

I haven't bought outlets yet. Based on responses it appears Insteon outlets are commonly preferred? I read reviews on various sites that led me to believe Insteon (light switches) had a higher than normal failure/replacement rate than some other manufactures. Perhaps their outlets don't?

Comment

Working...
                        X