• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lacrosse ws-2812 for 80$ !!!

Was at Costco yesterday and picked this station:
    http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/2812/index.php

for 79.99

which seems like an "error" at less than 1/3 of the price! so many features
    and especially sweet to be able to do all wirelessly via usb stick.

I ran the free software (Heavy Weather from Lacrosse) and then
    Ambient WEATHER WVS which can then send data to HS

Anyone has experience with that station?

Any chance we could bypass VWS with a simple script to read the current_data file from LaCrosse Heavy Weather?

I have used Oregon vmr-968 for 6 years BUT
    getting tired of using the serial interface
    had to replace outdoor temp/hygro 3 times already.

i got the same or similar lacrosse setup from costco for about the same price a couple years back. I set it up how you described, going from ambient weather to vws to the scripts/plugins available for Homeseer. It was fraught with problems in the handoff from the device to heavy weather to vws. whenever vws did have the correct data it worked great. That was relatively infrequent, however. For something that was just a novelty (I have no real need for a weatherstation in the pacific northwest) i just didn't feel like putting the time in to get it working right.

Ian
    Plugins:
    BLLogMonitor, BLGarbage, BLBackup, BLOutGoingCalls, BLUps, BLRfid, JvEss, DooMotion, Applied Digital Ocelot, AC RF Processor, UltraMon, PJC AVR 430, UPB, Rain8net, DSC Panel, JRiver Media center, Windows Media Player, SageMediaCenter, SnevlCID, MCSTemperature.

Comment

As the old saying goes "you get what you paid for" but it's better than nothing. I've had 3 of these and they simply do not last. Finally broke down and bought a Davis Vantage Pro fully loaded wireless and it's been ticking now for nearly 3 years without a single glitch. I use Weather-Display to track my data and it too has been running for 7 years with no issues.
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

WS2800 (EU version) User

Originally posted by fbitz777 View Post
        Was at Costco yesterday and picked this station:
        http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/2812/index.php

for 79.99

which seems like an "error" at less than 1/3 of the price! so many features
        and especially sweet to be able to do all wirelessly via usb stick.

I ran the free software (Heavy Weather from Lacrosse) and then
        Ambient WEATHER WVS which can then send data to HS

Anyone has experience with that station?

Any chance we could bypass VWS with a simple script to read the current_data file from LaCrosse Heavy Weather?
        I own the TFA WS-2800 (Primus)/LaCross WS-2800 (EU-version) for about 5 month.
        It's working fine, good range display to pc and sensors to display.
        I use the Heavywheather software v 1.3.
        This software writes a file with most of the actual data.
        In Windows 7 it is in ProgramData dir and called currdat.lst (so I don't mean the crypted History.dat)
        It is plain text so easy to interface with vbscript.
        Every 15 sec a vbscript runs and saves the actual data to my Homeseer status devices, while HeavyW stays up to refresh the currdat.lst.
        No other weather software has to be used for this.
        The rest is history.

Uptil now I can't find an easier to interface station on 868Mhz en USB-stick interface for that low price (€ 200,-)
        Drawback: No extension of sensors possible and that's my problem at the moment wanting to extend Rel Humidity sensing for Humidifiers in 2 rooms.
        Last edited by Hammy; December 4, 2010, 09:48 AM. Reason: typo in type

Comment

thanks

I have had NO problem with the station so far and you are right the data
          is just one text file to read with a script ..so no need for vws from ambient (although I am still using it fine)

LaCrosse must have had a bad reputation in early versions of that station.

Comment

Reviving...
            Today, I saw more of these amazing $80 weather stations at Costco.
            I bought one a year and some ago, and have been very satisfied with it.
            It's linked to a PC too.

Comment

I agree with Rupp, you get what you pay for if you want a unit that will last get a Davis....
              I purchased a Oregon Scientific and it lasted for 2 years, purchased a Davis and love it no comparison.

Comment

Working...
              X