Ideas for radio monitoring ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideas for radio monitoring ...

I don't use the voice activation portion of HomeSeer for automation. Since I'm not using it for automation, I'm trying to find a way of using it for radio monitoring. Here's the plan:

Fire Radio dispatches a call
    \/
    HomeSeer Voice Control
    \/
    Trigger on dispatch tone
    \/
    Then trigger on key words
    \/
    If a match, send an email with the textual content of the call

I hadn't mentioned it, but I'm an on-call firefighter. I reviewed the integration that the other firefighter in Australia did, but his system (both HomeSeer and Fire Dispatch) is different, so it won't work for me.

Would this flow work? If so, do I need any additional software pieces (I'm on HSPRO) or hardware?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

So you have a radio that sits silent until it blurts out a fire code? I'm not sure there is a way to interface with this hardware. I did something somewhat similar with my mailbox alert. The device sends out a tone when the mail box is opened. I connected a powerflash module to the speaker of this device. The device can detect the voltage change and sends an X10 signal to HomeSeer indicating that the mail has arrived.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Yeah, Rupp ... the radio will issue a high pitched tone ... then after a short pause, the dispatcher will start speaking.

On the hardware side, I imagined I would plug a USB microphone into the HS computer and set the fire radio right in front of the microphone. It's a little low-rent, but I can get the audio into the machine that way.

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by SkizzlePig View Post
        Yeah, Rupp ... the radio will issue a high pitched tone ... then after a short pause, the dispatcher will start speaking.

On the hardware side, I imagined I would plug a USB microphone into the HS computer and set the fire radio right in front of the microphone. It's a little low-rent, but I can get the audio into the machine that way.

Thoughts?
        No plugins that monitor/sample any current live audio input that I know of, you could get the level of the sound input using the Microsoft.DirectX.DirectSound namespace but it is going to be a long road or just plain impossible to sample and conduct any sort of voice recognition on received audio (as I think this is what you are trying to do?). You would need to cater for different people on the end of the radio (as VR should be trained to a specific voice), radio distortion, radio speech could be much faster than the VR is capable of sampling, the speaker client needs an attention phrase etc. Who knows perhaps I am wrong but I could barely get VR to work with a headset on after hours training it to my voice, you might have better luck. Have you ever tried recording any of the alert messages, playing them back and trying to get VR to recognise what they say?

Comment

If you feel like playing a bit with an SDR stick and some scripting have a read here:

I am currently looking a direct weather satellite pics right to Homeseer using an SDR stick.

http://www.reddit.com/r/RTLSDR/comme...ng_rtlsdr_not/
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I have the pager integration system you are talking about and you are right that they are very very different beasts. Our system here is a text based paging system so it became a lot easier with a pager decoder for me to read the messages, and act based on text in the message itself, reading tones and recording is slightly different though.

I would suspect that it would be very difficult to achieve what you are trying to do directly from within homeseer, but perhaps using some external programs might allow for something different.

What about using a program like the following (I have not used it, just turned it up on a google search):

https://sites.google.com/site/radioe...twotoneprogram

The above program appears to detect two-tone pager messages and then email it to the user, perhaps with some clever email scripting, you could receive the email, extract the attachment and play it, there would be some delay though as this would essentially be recording the scanner message then emailing it to you.
            HS3 PRO, Win10, WeatherXML, HSTouch, Pushover, UltraGCIR, Heaps of Jon00 Plugins, Just sold and about to move so very slim system.

Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Google+ | Website | YouTube

Comment

Thanks to all!

Yes, the Fire WT (supah kewl acronym for Walkie Talkie) have a fair bit of broadcast static that might make the effort to do voice recognition all but useless.

There is the option to receive text messages for calls that come into the 911 dispatch center, buuuuuut that option is relegated to officers and command staff. Lowly fire fighters, like me, don't get the cool stuff.

Well, I'll keep looking and trying. Thanks guys!

Comment

I am going to assume the following. The radio stays muted until the alert tones are sent for the station you run out of. When the tones are sent, the radio unmutes and you hear the fire call until the carrier drops at which point the radio mutes. Receivers that have this type of function typically also generate a contact closure during the time it is unmuted.

The trick here is to use that contact closure and some sort of program with a vox feature to record the audio while the radio is unmuted. Once the receiver mutes, the program would stop recording and generate a file with a unique file name. The contact closure would trigger some sort of script or plugin that would take the most recent file recorded and attach it to an email and send it to you. Then you would simply listen to the audio clip to hear the call as if you were listening to it directly. This would eliminate the process of speech to text conversion which could be marginal at best depending on the dispatcher.

Comment

Working...
                X