Landscape Lighting LED Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CharlieWayne View Post
    Hey Bill, Pete's right as he said above and I'll add a couple things.
    Thanks for the advice Charlie and Pete. I will order a few of the LED blubs from your EBay guy and see how they test out.

I appreciate the advice!

Comment

I've attached a Littlefuse LED Design Guide that came to my inbox this morning.

The first LED lamps were introduced in the late 1990s. Since then, the unit costs have
      been steadily declining by double-digit percentages, making LED lighting technology viable
      for commercial, industrial and outdoor lighting applications. In addition, large strides have
      been made in improving the efficiency, lumen output and performance of LED lights. The
      global LED lighting market is estimated to be $16B in 2012 and expected to reach nearly
      $40B by 2014 (Figure 1). The US market CAGR for commercial and outdoor LED lighting
      alone is expected to grow 26-30% through 2016.
      http://www.littelfuse.com/~/media/el..._guide.pdf.pdf
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
      HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Today we converted around 15 mr11's and 1 mr16.

Theres more lights on the system than that but the drop in power consumption went from 516 watts down to 262 watts.

Got in the mail today 12 test MR11 bulbs. I think there the brightest yet but really I don't feel as if I found a good one yet. While installing I remember about a tool I used in the selection of my theater screen. The android device can measure light from the sensor on the front and input into free apps. While it won't be 100% scientific, it will give you a very fair comparison to each other. Look up in the app market "LUX Sensor" or "Light Meter".
        HSPro: 3.0.0.194
        PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
        HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

Good news Charlie.

Yup; here just go for the warm look versus the cold bluish look. The spots (MR16) I utilize all wash red brick walls or trees or bushes.

The house exterior wall wash up lighting is about every 4-6 feet.

These are all 3 watt. None of the runs exceed 50 watts.

The metal / glass bollards (MR11) just shine into the glass. (mushroom style or a little glass section). Thinking these are all 1 watt.

The mushroom lights wash up with the MR11 little spots in them.

The bi-pin multiple LED lamps are all 1 watt or less. Use these for the path walks and the berms. I have a mixture of old looking and modern stuff. Kichler are themed. I have one hand carved little wooden one that is make out of cedar.

Last edited by Pete; November 24, 2014, 08:37 AM.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I'm not keen on the bollard lights. Either one of them really.

I've tried them and I tend to look at the light bulb more than the effects. There very sharp on the eye.
            PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
            HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

Understood Charlie.

Yup; here use the mushroom bollards as wash on one side of the house and are placed between some 5-6 bushes.

The bullet bollards are intermixed some and are part of the original (very old stuff) and for whatever reason kept them in place.
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Just FYI, I ordered a number of the 15w MR16 bulbs from this link that I think charlie posted (http://m.ebay.com/itm/171146122434?_mwBanner=1, seller is named cow_store).

Long story short after a few weeks of service they are all failing, it looks like due to a poor head dissipation design. One of them even burned out towards the base and caused a bit of damage to the socket. I actually ordered two and tested them for 2 weeks before ordering more. Should have tested them for 4 weeks. Live and learn.

I think charlie was buying lower wattage ones, so there may not be issues with those, but based on my experience I would not buy the 15w MR16 bulbs from this seller.

Comment

Thanks Bill.

Yup here none of my outdoor LED lamps are more than 3 Watts.

I did start with tiny 240mW single LED bulb lamps and they did OK illuminating the walk. Today the little LED honchos (sconches) on the deck are less ant 1/2 watt each and they also work just fine.

Here though I haven't touched them in a while as they are all working fine (12 zones and mucho LEDs). I haven't ordered any for outdoors except for the Christmas LED and playing with a few indoor candle bra / COB LED lights lately.

Pictured zone is only 5 LED lamps though the run is over 200 feet going around the house, under the deck and to the other side of the house. (there are some 4 zones following path back).
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Pete; January 10, 2015, 07:11 PM.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by BillBurn View Post
                    Just FYI, I ordered a number of the 15w MR16 bulbs from this link that I think charlie posted (http://m.ebay.com/itm/171146122434?_mwBanner=1, seller is named cow_store).

Long story short after a few weeks of service they are all failing, it looks like due to a poor head dissipation design. One of them even burned out towards the base and caused a bit of damage to the socket. I actually ordered two and tested them for 2 weeks before ordering more. Should have tested them for 4 weeks. Live and learn.

I think charlie was buying lower wattage ones, so there may not be issues with those, but based on my experience I would not buy the 15w MR16 bulbs from this seller.
                    They were the 15 watt bulbs. One issue I had when first converting was some new LEDs were hiring out within mins or days. Issue was that they didn't like 14 volts, so swapped leads in transformer to 12 volts and haven't had an issue since.

Make sure you check your voltage with ALL you loads on. You can back probe to check your voltage but the drop will be little to none in comparison to the traditional bulbs.

Comment

Anyone sample any " led Wedge Base T5" bulbs?

Looking to swap out all my walkway down lights and need a recommendation on warm whites.

Thanks.

Comment

I am using warm white wedge T bulbs with 5 LEDs on the ~ 10 deck sconces. Its been about 2-3 years now. Thinking I paid some $.50 each.

Using 5 LED bulb bi-pin bulbs on my walk way lighting. The lamps have an opaque glass cover and sit in an glass metal framed shell. (thinking I have some 6-8 of these along the front walk).
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I'm looking for a suggestion on a specific brand, model, or seller so I don't have to go through the sampling and testing of serval types.

Any suggestions of bulbs that are Warm White and have almost the same lumen output?

Thanks.

Comment

Any suggestions of bulbs that are Warm White and have almost the same lumen output?
                            Relating to specific company or seller no.

Noticed the prices are climbing and the stuff sold here and there is still junk and you are just paying more for the "LED" advertising.

The high end Kichler outdoor LED stuff that has a multiyear extended warranty works. I have purchased it and it is well made. Very expensive though.

You will not see this though yet with the low end outdoor LED lighting sold by the big box stores or discounted on Ebay or the internet in general. (might last you a year?)
                            Last edited by Pete; January 28, 2015, 01:10 PM.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

5th of March, 2016

Just a quickie update here relating to my outdoor LED lighting that is using multiple Meanwell 12VDC DIN power supplies (went to 160Watt dual fused DIN mounted power supplies for 12 Zones of lighting.)

Only issue I have had is twice now in 5 years relate to rabbits or some other animal are digging under stone and cloth and tugging and chewing up the wires severing the wiring paths. I have seen coyotes, racoons and a bumper crop of rabbits.

This morning repaired one section just replacing about 10 feet of outdoor 12 gauge wire.
                              Here I just check the voltages with a multimeter; then just cut out one section and replaced it.

The LED lighting lamps have done well (well last generation I purchased).
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

22nd of June 22, 2019

Just an update post here relating to switching my lighting control from UPB to WiFi / MQTT.

Current configuration:

UPB ==> multiple DIN LED dual power power supplies ==> multiple zones of LED landscaping lighting.

going to try...

Multiple DIN MeanWell 12 VDC power supplies ==> modded Magic Home Controllers (MQTT) ==> Low Voltage 12VDC LED zones.

baby steps....

Also switching deck lighting to outdoor weatherproof LG Innotek LED lamps between rails. These are brighter so will be using only a few to illuminate deck.
                                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                                X