No announcement yet.

Most Reliable Weather Data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes; same here and the parrot seems to drift off into it's own conversations sometimes for hours it seems.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Still waiting on my confirmation for two additional weather stations with WUN. Odd they haven't confirmed them after 3-4 days.

I am also still waiting on the Davis Vantage Vue delivery.

Outside weather and temperatures are changing to winter fast here; skipping fall...
      Last edited by Pete; November 19, 2011, 02:35 PM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
      Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I received the Davis Vantage Vue yesterday. Its very well contructed and it has a small footprint.

I also found out with the WUN adds; all I had to do is just utilize the other two set up weather stations with same login / password. I've also added the same WUN web upload to the other two stations.
        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Took the Davis Vantage View apart this morning. Its very modular and well contructed. I will take pictures. Its only 4 screws to get to the inside of it.

I have no idea where outside I am going to install it yet. I could install it for "testing" on the same 6X6 deck post next to the "Fine Offset" weather station for a bit.

I also did find someone that has constructed a 3rd party logging device for it. It appears to be similiar or a duplicate of the Davis data logger to Serial connector with a direct connect to the serial data versus having the logging data. Might do this instead of a DIY thing.
          Last edited by Pete; November 23, 2011, 10:29 AM.
          - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I just was on the phone with Davis. Excellent customer service. I found out that I actually was receiving a neighbors Davis weather instrument and that conflicted with mine. None the less; if I can get two stations and utilize the data; that would work for me.
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Taking the Davis Vantage apart. Here are some pics. Noticed that almost every piece or connector has di-electric grease on it.

The wind cups and direction are plastic with small allen screws which attach to the metal stalks you see below. The Plastic material appears to be very weather resistant. I have read of some sun fading. The AAG after may years just got a bit chalky; but really didn't fade. None of the pieces of plastic on the unit have become brittle from what I can tell swapping two AAG units over the years and "rebuilding" / sealing each one before installing it.

I haven't taken apart the Fine Offset unit yet.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Pete; November 23, 2011, 02:09 PM.
              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Testing serial Davis Vantage View connection device.

It comes with a serial port. This device is not a data logger but rather just a serial connectivity device.

Setup is easy. Just plug it into the Davis Vantage Vue Data port.

To test it just set your terminal to the utilized serial port and set the com to 19,200, 8-N-1.

Type "TEST" in capital letters and the console will reply with same. Type VER and you will see the firmware and date. I only see OK and the date.

TEST

OK
                Oct 25 2010
                I connected it to a Quatech on the network. I am getting a local Davis Weather station with the console. (mine is not set up yet). I installed Cumulus connecting it to the networked serial port. It is functioning fine.
                Attached Files
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Created a Cumulus web site this morning.
                  First one is for the Fine Offset weather site
                  It is known as:

http://lockport.golffan.us/

Second configured website is for the Vantage Vue. You can look at the graphs to see the difference in the two weather stations.

http://lockport2.golffan.us/

Trying a Linux weather program today. Setting this one up on a Seagate Dockstar.

http://www.wviewweather.com/
                  Last edited by Pete; December 1, 2011, 11:56 PM.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Wade, weather underground actually allows you to upload weather readings?

Comment

Yes it does afmiller.

I am currently uploading data from three weather stations right now to WUN to compare data.

This one is the upload to WUN from AAG weather station.

http://www.wunderground.com/weathers...p?ID=KILLOCKP1

Fine Offset

http://www.wunderground.com/weathers...p?ID=KILLOCKP7

Davis Vantage Vue

http://www.wunderground.com/weathers...&graphspan=day
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Pete - where did you put the Davis in relation to the Fine Offset? Are you starting to see the differences in the wind data?

Comment

Originally posted by afmiller View Post
                          Wade, weather underground actually allows you to upload weather readings?
                          Yeah, that's the whole point. They are using localized weather data from the stations to generate their own "BestForecast" or at least you would assume that's what they are doing with the data. Obviously as you can see from reading the original purpose of my thread and my own results...it works well which is why I upload my weather data to them.

Comment

Pete,

I am curious what differences you have found between your three weather stations. Have you had a chance to do a side-by-side comparison of any data?
                            Best regards,
                            -Mark-

If you're not out on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
                            Interested in 3D maps? Check out my company site: Solid Terrain Modeling

Comment

Just collecting data at this time.

You can see the differences between the three sets of data in the WUN links and the two weather pages.

It started to get really cold here; so the Davis Vantage Vue is still in the box. I did get a local one turning on the console; so what you see is one that is probably on someones roof or a pole on farm nearby.

The AAG is mounted on the second story room/chimney. The Fine Offset is on an 8 foot 6X6 post on the deck and I don't really know where the Davis one is for sure. It might also be at the golf clubhouse.

The $30 serial port device to connect to the Davis Console is working really well. Its not a logger but rather just a serial port out. Its plugged into the Cumulus application via a virtual on the lan serial connection. I did "build" a similiar Linux based weather station last night on a Seagate Dockstar; looks and works similiar to the Wintel Cumulus application. I might switch over to it. It also uploads the web stuff and WUN stuff.

The Fine Offset has a "toy" like look to it and a very small footprint; it looks to be a miniature weather station. I am not sure how it will hold up in an ice storm or with bad weather yet. So far its doing well and the station is located in the basement between servers and getting good reception. The Davis console is in a spare bedroom connected to a Quatech serial to network box. Both of the Instances of Cumulus are running on two separate W2003 boxes right now.

I have been reading various forums and see that Davis in general seems to be pretty accurate and just in this location; many / most of the WUN weather sites are Davis based.

GE - I am seeing some differences; but not what I thought I would see. I guess here it is a bit windy. I did tie my patio furniture down so that it would not get blown off the deck. I don't see that the Fine Offset would hold up well in Florida with the salt air, rains and wind off of Sarasota Bay; but only a future test will tell for sure.
                              - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Interesting today. I am hearing the wind howling outside a bit.

The AAG is recording 79 MPH winds right now and the Fine Offset/Davis are seeing maybe 30 MPH gusts of winds.

Looked and HS was updating WUN #1 with Fine Offset wind speeds; changed it to the AAG Wind speeds instead. I thought I had left it configured that way earlier; but never did switch.
                                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                                X