No announcement yet.

Help Me Pick A Weather Station

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you running Cumulus on the Homeseer server?
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

gonna follow this. my oregon scientific died last winter. would love to get a davis. wireless would work best for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
        Are you running Cumulus on the Homeseer server?
        No, I'm running it on a separate low power PC with the display/data logger plugged into it via USB which also runs the main touch screen display in my living room. The HS server is in my wiring closet in a different part of the house.

I use that PC to watch the Cumulus display (along with my stats on Weather Underground in a browser) and compare it to the display/data logger box from the weather station that sits next to it. That allows me to look at a quick glance and see if all the readings match or something is out of whack (which it hasn't been yet).

Cumulus uses very little resources on the box so I doubt it would cause much of a difference if your HS machine has any horsepower to it.

Comment

Thanks GatorEye.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Well, I was able to purchase a WA2080 for $60 (Ebay) with $24 (high) shipping. Next to see about the Davis (one will be for FL and the other for IL).
            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Well, I was able to purchase a WA2080 for $60 (Ebay) with $24 (high) shipping. Next to see about the Davis (one will be for FL and the other for IL).
              I think you'll be happy with the 2080 except for the fact that it only updates every 48 seconds so if you are looking for accurate wind gusts you aren't going to get it (since the "gust" is an average of the wind over 48 seconds). If you can live with that, I think it's good for the price. I'd also recommend the larger solar shield for more accurate temp readings.

Still interested to see what you can snag a Davis for. I need to order my replacement parts soon.

Comment

Right now I am at $329 for the wired version of the Davis Vantage Pro 2.

I really need to get up on the roof though. I have to remove/replace the pagoda, old 1-wire AAG and GPS antenna before winter. The remaining 1-wire lightning sensor is still working fine and I have read that it will work in the attic; so I might move it there anyways.
                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

And you still have to add the WeatherLink interface to allow use with a PC, right?

Comment

That does sound pretty good, but it will probably be hard to justify that much when I just bought the 2080 less than a year ago. I do hate the fact that the gust data is lacking, but probably can't justify paying another $329 to get it (at least the way the current finances are). That money is going towards getting the software and hardware necessary for the rest of my zoned audio.

Comment

Wayne, not sure yet; not in a rush anyways; just knowing that I don't want to utlize the AAG 1-wire weather station anymore.

Most of the issue has been really just getting up there on the roof. There is really only one way and getting up to the spot is fine. Coming down I have to slide down the roof to the gutter using it as a stop; which I don't like to do.
                      - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I wrote to guy who wrote a weather application to run on a Sheeva plug.

http://wiki.meteohub.de/Hardware_Overview

I will be testing the purchased weather station on this. I also asked him about the Davis weather station connectivity as he mentions RS-232 direct connectivity to both of the Davis weather stations.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

To Connect the Davis weather stations to a computer you will require an expensive Davis WeatherLink Interface/Logger (Serial/USB/IP).

But there are some guys over on the WXForum have figured out how to make a simple cheap Davis to PC interface..

Comment

Thanks Brian.

The gentleman (Boris Pasternak) who wrote the meteo hub software (to run on a Sheevaplug) just wrote back and told me about a means to connect to the Davis Vantage Pro 2 with his software and a reference to a little embedded device. He said he hasn't gotten to interfacing with the Davis Vantage Vue yet.

Actually if I could get something to work with the Vantage view then it would be a less costly means of utilizing a Davis weather instrument. The Davis Vantage Vue's are maybe $200 or less versus the Davis Vantage Pro II (wired) at $329.

The software historical and live data can be retrieved via http calls to the Sheeva box. This would work fine for me.

Interesting cuz this guy is selling his software with Sheeva plugs as "an all in one setup" and I found a site which sells a Sheeva plug with his sofware and a cable to the Davis Vantage Vue. Except the package includes USB weather link cable.

Interesting cuz what the guy (Boris) is doing is similiar to what Michael is doing with his MCS Sprinklers package that I have been testing.

http://www.rainmanweather.com/site/products/WeatherPlug
                            Last edited by Pete; October 8, 2011, 10:13 AM.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Pete,

Found a link to the smartbedded interface for Meteohub

Also does a PC Version

Comment

Brian,

Great news. I can get a wired Davis Vantage Pro II without the display even cheaper than the $329 (so far); $220 was the price I haggled. So it the embedded interface is around $168 USD...which is still a bit high...but would give you a complete package sort of....
                                - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Working...
                                X