X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hs.setDeviceString feature?

I note that

hs.setDeviceString alpha, beta, true

causes, in the HS status web page, the "last change" column goes unchanged when the value of beta matches the prior value stored in alpha by a prior hs.setDeviceString. That is, "last change" is not the time of the last update to hs.setDeviceString but rather the time that the the string differed.

such as:

alpha = "w1"
    beta = "79F at 4PM"

If alpha is written to once an hour, and beta doesn't change, then the "last change" column does not reflect how recently alpha was updated.

Steve,
    If Beta doesn't "change" then there was no "last change". This is not a "last update" column but a "last change" column.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

If you are just using that device for a display of data, just toggle it on and off like a normal X-10 device and that will update the date.

~Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Brower View Post
        If you are just using that device for a display of data, just toggle it on and off like a normal X-10 device and that will update the date.
        Ah so. I had thought that a virtual device like "w1" could not be turned ON/OFF, despite the presence of the On/Off buttons! That works! Thanks.

Comment

You can also use the command hs.SetDeviceLastChange.
          jim

Comment

Originally posted by Stevech View Post
            Ah so. I had thought that a virtual device like "w1" could not be turned ON/OFF, despite the presence of the On/Off buttons! That works! Thanks.
            Glad it worked. I was doing the same thing for my displays until MainLobby came along.

~Bill

Comment

Originally posted by jsteed View Post
              You can also use the command hs.SetDeviceLastChange.
              jim
              I'll use that.
              I have virtual devices for
              24 hour low and high temperature and the time they occurred
              current temperature/humidity
              Rain accumulation
              caller ID

I keep the last 24 hourly readings in the Windows registry. I guess I could do so in HS but I have yet to look for how to assure it's persistent.
              and a all-time history in a disk file. I could retrieve the last 24 readings from the disk file, but I assumed (!?) that this was a lot of CPU and disk activity, given the history I have is years old and large, and it's not in a DBMS, just a flat file.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
                Steve,
                If Beta doesn't "change" then there was no "last change". This is not a "last update" column but a "last change" column.
                This should be in the documentation... Spend 2 hours last night before I saw this discussion...

DJ

Comment

There are many things that are not up to date in the documentation, or in the help files... leading to much frustration, as voiced on this forum repeatedly, as well as wasted time. Just another T HST hasn't crossed.
                  Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Come on now. Crossed T from a question that hasn't been asked since 2007. That's funny.

If you find anything missing from the HomeSeer help files please put in a help desk request using the Report a Bug from the Blue support link above.
                    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

I didn't notice the date. My bad. I was responding to the last post.
                      I had a similar experience recently looking for up-to-date information on scripting for Z-Wave Thermostats in the help. I finally found what I needed, digging through the Developers Kit. The correct info there either didn't exist in the Online help, or conflicted with it.

No offense, but Bug reports; while they might be noticed; are seldom answered.
                      Real courage is not securing your Wi-Fi network.

Comment

Here's a thought:

Allow (registered) HS users to provide feedback on each HS help page. Someone at HS will then review and make changes....

That could improve doc quality by 1000's of %..

Cheers
                        DJ

Comment

Originally posted by DJF3 View Post
                          Here's a thought:

Allow (registered) HS users to provide feedback on each HS help page. Someone at HS will then review and make changes....

That could improve doc quality by 1000's of %..

Cheers
                          DJ

excellent thougt, the help pages ar a littlebit for the superseers

Comment

Working...
                          X