Best LED for Insteon dimmers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best LED for Insteon dimmers?

What's the best LED for Insteon dimmers? Specifically, I'm looking for one that I can turn on to 1% and ramp up without any flickering or hum.

While it's not perfect I have had pretty results with EcoSmart. I have a BR20 in my desk lamp on an Insteon LampLinc. It dims well and doesn't hum at all. I occasionally do get some flicker, but I've found that I can make it go away by changing the dimming by a percent or two. i.e. at 50% it might flicker, but is stable at 51%.
    HS Pro 3.0 | Linux Ubuntu 16.04 x64 virtualized under Proxmox (KVM)
    Hardware: Z-NET - W800 Serial - Digi PortServer TS/8 and TS/16 serial to Ethernet - Insteon PLM - RFXCOM - X10 Wireless
    Plugins: HSTouch iOS and Android, RFXCOM, BlueIris, BLLock, BLDSC, BLRF, Insteon PLM (MNSandler), Device History, Ecobee, BLRing, Kodi, UltraWeatherWU3
    Second home: Zee S2 with Z-Wave, CT101 Z-Wave Thermostat, Aeotec Z-Wave microswitches, HSM200 occupancy sensor, Ecolink Z-Wave door sensors, STI Driveway Monitor interfaced to Zee S2 GPIO pins.

Comment

On and flicker free from 1% ?

Does not exist with LEDs. I find Cree to be the best I have used. On by 10%, flicker free by 20 to 30% depending upon model and watts. Most other brands on around 15-25, and not completely flicker free until 40 to 50%. Really cheap/off brands, not until 65 to 75%.

Comment

Originally posted by clay2young View Post
        Does not exist with LEDs. I find Cree to be the best I have used. On by 10%, flicker free by 20 to 30% depending upon model and watts. Most other brands on around 15-25, and not completely flicker free until 40 to 50%. Really cheap/off brands, not until 65 to 75%.
        +1

All my Cree led's are great. The others are hit and miss with the ramp on quality vs noise.

Comment

I have been happy with Philips where I have been disappointed with Cree. I feel the Philips color is good and there is never any flickering, hum, or weirdness, other than the small "jump on" when you first start dimming up from off.

That said, I think the Insteon dimmers pretty much work with everything because they tie in neutral. Two wire dimmers struggle with LEDs and should be avoided.

Comment

Agree with Neutral Wire.

Originally posted by BrunDog View Post
            I have been happy with Philips where I have been disappointed with Cree. I feel the Philips color is good and there is never any flickering, hum, or weirdness, other than the small "jump on" when you first start dimming up from off.

That said, I think the Insteon dimmers pretty much work with everything because they tie in neutral. Two wire dimmers struggle with LEDs and should be avoided.
            I agree that dimmers with a neutral wire are better for LED performance.

Comment

The Cree medium base bulbs dim much lower than Phillips medium base bulbs. However, the Phillips candelabra base bulbs will dim to the same level as the Cree.

Color temperature of the Phillips and Cree at full brightness are about the same. Both brands are quiet when new but tend to hum slightly as they get some age on them. Hum level does not change with dim level.

One perceptual difference between LED bulbs and incandescent bulbs is that an incandescent blub will become warmer or more orange in color when dimmed. Where as LED bulbs maintain the same color temperature. You loose some of the warmth we are used to with incandescent blubs.

As far as flicker, I'm not sure if the flicker is due to the blub or the dimmer. An incandescent blub will tend to average the flicker of the dimmer due to the time constant of the filament.

I have found that the Insteon dimmer is compatable with transformer based light fixtures. i.e., high intensity desk lamps and the like. I installed LED strip lights under my kitchen cabinets to illuminate the counter tops. The LED strips are 24 volts DC. I used an 18 volt AC transformer with a full wave diode bridge to make the DC Voltage. The transformer is completely happy with the dimmer. Older SCR based dimmers would destroy a transformer almost instantly. ** I have NOT experimented dimming florescent light fixtures **.

Comment

Working...
              X